Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2018 7:47:05 PM EDT
I need a quick value estimate on a rifle I'm looking to buy. It is a Winchester model 57 in .22 short. It is in about 85-90% original condition. It has the original magazine and has Lyman peep rear and hooded front sight. An elderly widow friend of my wife's offered it to me for free for helping around her house. It was her late husband's boyhood rifle. I won't take it for nothing and want to pay her fair value for it but have no idea. None on gunbroker in 22 short to compare it to.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen model 57's in 22 short in that condition retail at around $700 to $900. As a matter of fact, there is one estimated at $7-900 on the current Rock Island Auction site, but is in 22 LR and is rated at around 70% condition. As Model 56 and 57's pretty much go for the same price, respective of their calibers, I can give you a personal note as to what my 56 went for back in 2006 at Rock Island. My personal 56 was part of the Peter and Patty Murray collection and this one has a factory mounted Winchester A5 scope (one of 2 they believe). The rifle is featured in The Winchester book and also in the book, Winchester, The American legend (page 194). I haven't pulled it out in years but it is virtually 100% condition. I paid just over $2500 for it back in 2006 and to a serious collector, I couldn't let it go for less than $4000. So there is the bottom and the top end of pricing. I really think that the one you describe should retail around $1000 to $1400 as its in 22 short.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top