Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 8:46:55 PM EDT
Anyone shooting that?  Would you shoot in SP5 or VP9?

ETA: I guess I’m worried about the anti corrosion coating building up in the chamber.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
For a few years I bought a ton of it at Walmart.

I couldn’t really reload much cheaper.

I could use a magnet to pick up brass.

No issues with it in a wide variety of pistols and carbines.

Not as weird a smell as Tula/Wolf steel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone shooting that?  Would you shoot in SP5 or VP9?

ETA: I guess I'm worried about the anti corrosion coating building up in the chamber.

View Quote

A year ago, I would have said no.  Now I'd say just make sure you have a chamber flute brush and use it.  Even so, it's probably fine.  You will probably notice it wearing the extractor springs more than anything.  Run rifle springs in your SP5.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not shoot steel case through any of my German roller delays. Same for weak 9mm, like blaser brass case or Remington/UMC.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I decided not to get the  steel case.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
No issues with russian steel case. However the winchester forged 9mm steel is the worst ammunition I have ever purchased bar none.  I dont recommend anyone to buy it for any reason.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's what HK had to say about steel cased ammunition:

"Cartridge case obturation, the greatest uncertainty factor in every automatic weapon, is reduced so much by the introduction and further development of the fluted chamber and has become uniform for all types of cartridge cases, including lacquered steel cases, that operation is reliable in every situation, even under the most adverse firing conditions. - Heckler & Koch, GmbH 1970"
View Quote

Interesting. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No issues with russian steel case. However the winchester forged 9mm steel is the worst ammunition I have ever purchased bar none.  I dont recommend anyone to buy it for any reason.
View Quote

I thought I was going to have a squib shooting this trash. I’d buy Tula any day over Winchester steel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot tons of Tula and Wolf steel-case 9mm through a Glock 17.

Winchester Forged is the only steel-case it doesn’t like.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have problems with fully loading mags with the Winchester steel - too much friction compared to brass and other steel case.  I have a bunch of it to shoot outdoors in WV.  Too much vegetation to chase shells effectively.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top