Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2021 9:30:27 AM EDT
Posted in GD .Estate sale find . Winchester 94AE trapper in 38 special/357 magnum. I offered $500 and it was accepted. Minor rust that cleaned up nicely and small crack in the buttstock that was glued (assuming  by the previous owner ) I looked online/ gunbroker to determine the value ..no luck . Also should I invest in replacement new butt stock and forend ( birch wood OM for $210) ? I’m taking it today to the range https://ibb.co/fNP6qLh… here are 3 pics of the rifle. the last one showing the crack .https://ibb.co/PTb5XrPhttps://ibb.co/Ptr26yf
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#1]
See if it feeds OK before getting too wrapped up in it.  The 94 action doesn't play well with pistol cartridges.  

Make sure you use .38 and .357 if you plan to use both in the future.

'Invest' is an odd word to use.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See if it feeds OK before getting too wrapped up in it.  The 94 action doesn't play well with pistol cartridges.  

View Quote

I will be testing it with 38 special regular ,+P and 357 magnum.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I would not replace the stock. Often a good repair is stronger than before the break and I can't hardly tell in the picture where it was broken and repaired.

Shoot it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would not replace the stock. Often a good repair is stronger than before the break and I can't hardly tell in the picture where it was broken and repaired.

Shoot it and enjoy it.
View Quote

Wow! Better get those eyes examined, Magoo.

O.P. If that stock is tight at that repair, I would leave it alone unless I was feeling creative and wanted to sand, blend it in, and re-stain the stock just for something to do.
Or, if it was digging into my hand when shooting or carrying.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one.  I used to shoot .38 and .357 through it with no problems.  It was a lot of fun.  I put a Williams peep sight on it as my old eyes didn't care for the buckhorn sight.

I currently have a Trapper in .45 Colt.  Guess I should shoot it more or sell it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow! Better get those eyes examined, Magoo.

O.P. If that stock is tight at that repair, I would leave it alone unless I was feeling creative and wanted to sand, blend it in, and re-stain the stock just for something to do.
Or, if it was digging into my hand when shooting or carrying.
View Quote

I agree and if feeds good shoot it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Range report .. fired 100 various rounds mix and match in the tube  of 38 regular ,+p and 357 magnum. Rifle is accurate , load and eject smoothly . I had about 4 rounds that did not eject, I had to manually pull out of the chamber .
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

'Invest' is an odd word to use.
View Quote

This^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top