Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2021 4:01:56 PM EDT
I bought a 308 case holder for my Wilson trimmer and the cases don't fit very well. I'm getting only about 0.030" of the case extending out of the holder. I can still trim, but with so little sticking out it's really hard to remove the cases and I kind of have to bang them in good to even get that 0.030". It's the "new" case holder and I'm using resized brass. New ammo extends just a hair more so I'm pretty sure the holder is just too tight.

I sent them an email and called and had to leave message so I'll have to wait to hear back, but I suspect the solution will be to send it in for adjusting. Given it was all of $8 (was on sale) it might be cheaper to just buy another one. Of course, if this is somewhat common I might end up with 2 that are too small.

If you use the Wilson trimmer, have you had similar issues with the case holders or should I risk it and just buy another one (not sure I'll find one for $8 again). Is there another solution I'm overlooking? I did try to polish the inside with some fine sandpaper but it didn't help.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You resized the brass prior to attempting to trim, yes?

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You resized the brass prior to attempting to trim, yes?

View Quote

Yes. It's the "new" case holder but also for resized brass. both new and resized brass barely extend out the end.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, I watched one of their videos and their cases extended maybe 1/2" or so. They did say some cases might only extend 0.100" but I'm well below even that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same issue with a 6.5 Grendel new case holder. Ordered another for resized brass and it works much better. Probably have 1/2" or more sticking out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had the same issue with a 6.5 Grendel new case holder. Ordered another for resized brass and it works much better. Probably have 1/2" or more sticking out.
View Quote

Do you mean for the 6.5 they had a new and resised as separate case holders? In 308 I think they only offer "new" and "fired" and resized cases are supposed to fit the new holder. I'm sure "fired" will be too loose as they even showed this in the video I watched.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Do you mean for the 6.5 they had a new and resised as separate case holders? In 308 I think they only offer "new" and "fired" and resized cases are supposed to fit the new holder. I'm sure "fired" will be too loose as they even showed this in the video I watched.
View Quote

I might have misspoken. Just looked them and one is stamped Grendel New Case. The other is just stamped Grendel. I can't remember now if it was sold as resized case holder or as fired case holder. Here is a photo to show the difference.

" />

Both are sized cases.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. Your case on the right looks just like mine. Looks like they just offer two holders for 6.5 just like for 308 so maybe the fired holder would work but based on their video I don't think it's supposed to.

Here is the video I referred to. You can see around 2:40 the resized case spins in the fired holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGFOZBAGB2k
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I wondered the same thing when I purchased my trimmer.  The "NEW" one is for virgin unfired brass, and the other is for anything fired.  The "new" case holder is just too tight to use on resized cases.  

I have both, almost never have used the new brass one, but you never know when you may purchase some nice new Lapua brass!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks. Your case on the right looks just like mine. Looks like they just offer two holders for 6.5 just like for 308 so maybe the fired holder would work but based on their video I don't think it's supposed to.

Here is the video I referred to. You can see around 2:40 the resized case spins in the fired holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGFOZBAGB2k
View Quote

I have not seen that video before. I have a fired case holder for 6.5 Creedmoor also. I tried a piece of new Peterson brass in it and it did spin. I don't have any fired Peterson brass, but resized once fired Lapua and Hornady brass fit and did not spin. I have never trimmed new brass so it has not been an issue.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have not seen that video before. I have a fired case holder for 6.5 Creedmoor also. I tried a piece of new Peterson brass in it and it did spin. I don't have any fired Peterson brass, but resized once fired Lapua and Hornady brass fit and did not spin. I have never trimmed new brass so it has not been an issue.
View Quote

Seems to be a bit of variability in what they say in the video and the experience of others. I guess I'll just have to wait and hear back as a fired case holder may or may not work. It's also possible that the holders for 6.5 are somehow different compared to 308.

For 30-06 they only have one holder and my fired cases extend only a 1/4" or so but new/resized cases extend up to or even a bit past the shoulder. Wonder why they can't do the same for 308. Maybe something to do with the case taper. The 308 case won't even go into the '06 holder though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top