Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2018 9:03:27 AM EDT
Where does someone get an opinion like this?
Quoted:

But you'd better not have a problem when running suppressed or FN will invalidate the warranty on your 3k rifle.
View Quote
From this thread
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn’t the gun come with a suppressor setting?

Best thing to do would be to call FN vs taking an internet ninja warriors word.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#2]
https://fnamerica.com/customer-support/service-repairs/
IMPORTANT: Any addition to your FN firearm of aftermarket accessories (such as suppressors, triggers, muzzle devices, stocks, etc.) is considered a modification of your firearm from its original configuration, which may void your warranty.  We are unable to adapt each firearm for every variable effect that might occur when you install a third-party manufacturer's accessory on an FN firearm.  Therefore, FN disclaims all responsibility and liability for any damage caused to you and/or your firearm as a result of aftermarket accessory use.  If an aftermarket accessory causes damage to you and/or your firearm, please address your concerns with the accessory manufacturer.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you use a can with low back pressure i.e. Surefire, Dead Air , you should never need to use their shitty warranty.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like the fine print tells you what you need to do, which is to send your firearm back to FN in the factory configuration.

"Hi, my rifle broke. Pls fix."
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like the fine print tells you what you need to do, which is to send your firearm back to FN in the factory configuration.

View Quote
This. Run whatever sweet setup you want with gas jet/suppressor and then buy a used barrel setup on the cheap and keep it in the closet in case you ever need warranty work
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This. Run whatever sweet setup you want with gas jet/suppressor and then buy a used barrel setup on the cheap and keep it in the closet in case you ever need warranty work
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I always laugh I see people selling off all of their factory parts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...then buy a used barrel setup on the cheap...
View Quote
Let us know if you ever find one of those (in factory config).
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Let us know if you ever find one of those (in factory config).
View Quote
They come up often enough for a bit under $700. Still a pricy part to just stash away.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen. Can't figure out why that is so hard for some to understand. Have an issue, put gun back to normal and if issue is still there send in for warranty work. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The short version is if the suppressor caused the damage then you likely will not be getting the work covered under warranty. Suppressors, some much more so than others, substantially increase carrier velocity and you will tend to see certain failure points if the gun is run with them for extended periods especially if the ammo is deficient in some way as well (ie hot loaded/high pressure, improper pressure curve, etc).  While you likely wont see an issue with say a surefire socom 2 or a QD702 (yes, I know those are not available commercially), it's important to understand what the suppressor is doing to the gun before you put several thousand rounds down the pipe.

Just my own two cents there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
The barrel isnt the part on a 17 where you would see failure if you're running a can that is way overgassing the gun/overspeeding the carrier. Even if you throw the stock barrel/brake on, do you really think the service department hasn't seen what happens when this is the case?
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The short version is if the suppressor caused the damage then you likely will not be getting the work covered under warranty. Suppressors, some much more so than others, substantially increase carrier velocity and you will tend to see certain failure points if the gun is run with them for extended periods especially if the ammo is deficient in some way as well (ie hot loaded/high pressure, improper pressure curve, etc).  While you likely wont see an issue with say a surefire socom 2 or a QD702 (yes, I know those are not available commercially), it's important to understand what the suppressor is doing to the gun before you put several thousand rounds down the pipe.

Just my own two cents there.
View Quote
So, just in case you don't own a SCAR and aren't familiar with its function. Gas at some high psi hits the piston which moves rearward actuating the carrier. Full gas setting allows normal operation, suppressed setting does not as there is far less gas hitting the piston. Adding the suppressor obviously pushes gas against the cartridge and piston which actuate's the carrier. Further tuning your rifle by changing out the gas screw, and FNH makes a lot of sizes just for this, allows you more control over your gas to piston pressure. All this adjustability in the system will give you full control over your carrier speed so that you don't let your gun beat itself to death. Common sense you'd think.

FNH ships the rifles with a generic size gas screw so that it'll operate with a wide variety of ammunitions both good and bad. Reducing the gas is a normal thing on ARs by adding an adjustable gas block, same thing with FNH and the different gas screws.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So, just in case you don't own a SCAR and aren't familiar with its function. Gas at some high psi hits the piston which moves rearward actuating the carrier. Full gas setting allows normal operation, suppressed setting does not as there is far less gas hitting the piston. Adding the suppressor obviously pushes gas against the cartridge and piston which actuate's the carrier. Further tuning your rifle by changing out the gas screw, and FNH makes a lot of sizes just for this, allows you more control over your gas to piston pressure. All this adjustability in the system will give you full control over your carrier speed so that you don't let your gun beat itself to death. Common sense you'd think.

FNH ships the rifles with a generic size gas screw so that it'll operate with a wide variety of ammunitions both good and bad. Reducing the gas is a normal thing on ARs by adding an adjustable gas block, same thing with FNH and the different gas screws.
View Quote
But if they have a general protocol for diagnosing damage from a can, you are fucked.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But if they have a general protocol for diagnosing damage from a can, you are fucked.
View Quote
And this all comes down to determining if they all have the same failure mode or certain tell tale signs. I think people have spun this up into a much larger issue than it needs to be, because if I recall, it was one person who had a major issue and FN wouldn't warrant the rifle. I would venture there was something more going on there that we don't know about. However, if I blow up my rifle due to my negligence, and have to pay $1000.00 to fix it, well, that's my fault.

Think about how many people shoot 17's with suppressors and how few have issues that are verbal about it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where does someone get an opinion like this?
Quoted:

But you'd better not have a problem when running suppressed or FN will invalidate the warranty on your 3k rifle.
View Quote
From this thread
View Quote
Well, if you read the thread, you may have noticed I was directly referencing a post from a major suppressor manufacturer talking about FN doing what I posted about. I wasn't pulling that out of nowhere or being an "internet ninja". I suppose FN's warranty info in this thread backs it up though, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#16]
So ONE person that post this on Facebook, doesn't post all the details, doesn't post FNH full response as to what failed or why it occured.........and this is the ONE case that that people now base this claim of not shooting your SCAR with a suppressor because FN will void the warranty.

Let's see all the facts first please before jumping to conclusions.

I recently "blew" up my FNP Tactical. I didn't expect FN to warranty it as I was using another's handloads and I'm pretty sure that one round was double charged, and they were +P to begin with. My stupid mistake and it cost me a $1,000 pistol. Point is no one has presented any of the pertinent facts to the SCAR case and no one has any idea what kind of foolishness that may have occurred on the guys part that caused the failure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top