Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2019 12:22:50 AM EDT
I found this web page https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/cruiser-ready-how-to-store-a-home-defense-shotgun/ where the author says most shotguns aren't "drop safe" and says they'll go off if dropped with the safety on. How so? I've keep a round in the chamber on my guns. Is there something I'm missing about how most pump actions function?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I was issued a Remington 870 pump shotgun when I was a cop.  The department policy was not to store the shotgun with a round in the chamber. It's my understanding that all pump shotguns can go off if dropped if they have a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was issued a Remington 870 pump shotgun when I was a cop.  The department policy was not to store the shotgun with a round in the chamber. It's my understanding that all pump shotguns can go off if dropped if they have a round in the chamber.
View Quote
This.  And it’s true of almost any firearm.  There is always a risk of a discharge when dropped when there is an energized hammer or striker being held back mechanically.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it any more dangerious than a condition 1 1911?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:10:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it any more dangerious than a condition 1 1911?
View Quote
Yes.

Many shotgun designs have a trigger blocking safety system only, not one that blocks the firing pin. Inertia or shock can cause a discharge.

It’s rare, but not so rare that it isn’t dangerous.  Just practice proper safe firearms handling procedures.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Can go off ?

Will go off ×
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#6]
12ga mossberg 500 series guns use a firing pin spring that is VERY stout. I can't see inertia setting one off.

The safety is of course a trigger block, so the sear could still easily fail I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Shotguns are remarkably safe against drop-firing because it's hard to actually drop a shotgun far enough to get it to land on the muzzle hard enough to fire.
You'd have to pretty much drop it out of a window to get that much impact.

At one time Mossberg made a Model 500 with a double action type trigger to meet a perceived police market.
It was a spectacular failure and almost no one law enforcement or commercial ever bought them, so they were discontinued.
It still didn't have any drop safety system.

So, unless you're in the habit of flinging your shotgun like a javelin it's very safe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shotguns are remarkably safe against drop-firing because it's hard to actually drop a shotgun far enough to get it to land on the muzzle hard enough to fire.
You'd have to pretty much drop it out of a window to get that much impact.

At one time Mossberg made a Model 500 with a double action type trigger to meet a perceived police market.
It was a spectacular failure and almost no one law enforcement or commercial ever bought them, so they were discontinued.
It still didn't have any drop safety system.

So, unless you're in the habit of flinging your shotgun like a javelin it's very safe.
View Quote
Im pretty sure most any firearm design in the past 120 years that actually sold a significant amount don't just go off when dropped. Except the sig 320
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont store with one in the chamber to avoid cook-off in case of fire.

Dont need to be shooting the hose-draggers coming to save my shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Very few long guns are actually drop safe.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I was taugh that shotguns are not mechanically drop safe, but practically are.

Meaning, you probably could make one go boom, but you’d need to generate forces well outside of safe firearm use to do so. Greater than a one-story fall, high speed impacts (i.e., unsecured in a vehicle during a highway crash), landing on the buttstock after being launched in the air (i.e., falling off a 4x4 going over a big bump).  You’d need to do more than tip it over on your tile floor though.

If you’re worried about it OP, grab some snap caps and do some testing with your gun. Let us know if you find anything interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top