Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2020 5:31:05 PM EDT
I've got two houses about 75' apart and across the street, so I can't run a cable between the two.  House 2 is being built so I can run cable easily now.
House 1 has DSL internet and a pretty good wireless router with full-house coverage.  I can use wireless at house 2 on the "close" side.
House 2 will have a wired security DVR system.  Maybe something like this: Reolink 4MP 16CH PoE Video Surveillance System, 8pcs Wired Outdoor 1440P PoE IP Cameras, 5MP 16-Channel NVR with 3TB HDD for Home and Business 24/7 Recording, RLK16-410B8

I would like to be able to:

• Have wireless Internet throughout both houses

• Be able to view cameras via wifi at my location or while on other networks

Do I need something like this to get wireless in house 2?  Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK Nanostation LocoM2 AirMax Outdoor PoE CPE 2.4GHz 5+km
Then CAT6 POE wired from the House 2 Ubiquiti CPE to a router/AP where the camera DVR system is?

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Ubiquiti Nanostation M2s work well for wireless shots, you could set one up across the street and one next door  and lock them to your wifi. If you wanted to get "fancy you could set up three Nanostations and lock them onto each other as repeaters/stations.
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

For the Ubiquiti - I'm still a little unclear on its usage.  Do I have one on house 1 and one on house 2 with the house 1 one wired to my existing router?

And if so and in the "fancy" configuration, a 3rd Ubiquiti wirelessly (wired?) connected to the 1st Ubiquiti at house 2?  Like a 3-hop daisy-chain?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks!

For the Ubiquiti - I'm still a little unclear on its usage.  Do I have one on house 1 and one on house 2 with the house 1 one wired to my existing router?

And if so and in the "fancy" configuration, a 3rd Ubiquiti wirelessly (wired?) connected to the 1st Ubiquiti at house 2?  Like a 3-hop daisy-chain?
View Quote

The 2 nanostation M2s or their other similar offerings are normally used for what is called a point-to-point bridge, or p2p. When configured properly the 2 M2s, when pointed at one another, will act like a hardwired connection. Generally you would run a CAT5e (or CAT6) from an output on your router or modem at the house that has internet to the "sending" M2, and then on the "receiving" M2 you will run another hardwire to another router to distribute the network access within that house.

My parents have a building 1/4 mile down the road from their home. They have internet at home and wanted it in the secondary building. I set them up with a p2p bridge with M2s and it performs well. They have a wireless router in each building.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The 2 nanostation M2s or their other similar offerings are normally used for what is called a point-to-point bridge, or p2p. When configured properly the 2 M2s, when pointed at one another, will act like a hardwired connection. Generally you would run a CAT5e (or CAT6) from an output on your router or modem at the house that has internet to the "sending" M2, and then on the "receiving" M2 you will run another hardwire to another router to distribute the network access within that house.

My parents have a building 1/4 mile down the road from their home. They have internet at home and wanted it in the secondary building. I set them up with a p2p bridge with M2s and it performs well. They have a wireless router in each building.
View Quote
Is the wireless router in the 2nd building set to access point (AP) mode?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the wireless router in the 2nd building set to access point (AP) mode?
View Quote

Yes, you set it up exactly like you're going to hardwire it to a modem etc.

Seriously, when I say the p2p bridge functions like a hard wire, it does. Setup the router in the 2nd house as if the wire plugged into the back is a long wire that runs across the street and plugs into your modem in the 1st house.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You are going to be hard pressed to run enough wifi for two houses side by side on typical DSL.  What kind of internet speed do you have?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are going to be hard pressed to run enough wifi for two houses side by side on typical DSL.  What kind of internet speed do you have?
View Quote

That's a pretty presumptuous statement to make, it depends what his usage is. Most people's jaw hits the floor when I tell them the bandwidth I use at my place. If I see 1 mb/s on a speed test I'm shocked, normally I'm around 700 kb/s. That's not by choice, I would certainly like to have more. But that's the best it gets where I am. I would have no problem sharing a 2+ mb/s connection with another house. I'm sure OP has determined that his connection is sufficiently fast and he is willing to accept the results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top