Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2021 11:22:45 PM EDT
While I get the adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it", mil seems to have replaced tons of gear around this strobe numerous times, but the strobe itself is still used and even issued by some branches. Why is it still in use so extensively? Does it excel in areas other, newer strobes don't?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:48:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Because its simple and effective and the blue light is directional. Also uses double AA.  The Helstar6 can be programmed with different combinations and response frequencies giving it much more general operational flexibility.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess I just assumed that to keep something that isn't even an led-based emitter around that was much bigger and heavier than it's competitors, there must be something it does that mil really likes. The blue, targeted light is the only thing I can think of, but does anyone ever use that?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and depends on SOPS - also the MS2000 has a good safety lock out e.g. you can't switch it on by accident
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes and depends on SOPS - also the MS2000 has a good safety lock out e.g. you cant switch it by accident
View Quote

Yeah. The lockout is very intentional for sure. I do wonder if that method comes with downsides though. If that lense gets damaged or bumped up, it might end up leaking visible light which the led-based ones can't do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top