Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2018 9:24:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
In because I want a Reising for my USMC portrayal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
They're both single feed position mags, but the GG is double column while the Reising is (more commonly, with the lower capacity for improved reliability) single column. There would be modifications needed to the magwell/insert, receiver, and most likely a new bolt and spring setup to work with the GG mags due to the additional pressure from the mag spring itself. The Reising bolt is kind of an oddball type, too, with a sort of striker/hammer hybrid, so it's not the most familiar thing in the world to work on.

Combine all of that with the low appeal, and at this point it's not really worth the trouble. Eventually, it may well be worth repurposing the receivers entirely (if allowed by the ATF, one never knows...) to work with different mags/ammo/parts.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You have never owned or taken apart a Reising, have you?
View Quote
10+ years since I had one apart in front of me, yes. It's been a while. I take it I'm grossly incorrect as to the construction? Tapered cone serving as a sear/striker "hammer", closed bolt partially locked by tilting somewhat?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is what got the wheels turning. Making the attachment plate and welding the 2 pieces together will be cake.

https://www.ftfindustries.com/product/ET-WPM1045MW.html
View Quote
If you can weld, and I assume you can... this is a whole lot cheaper and plenty easy to make. It's what I tend to use for anything that's going to feed from GG mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Combine this with a VegasSMG Tungsten op-rod and bolt assembly and the price on then would jump 1-2k.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A Tungston Reising OP-Rod would be awesome, but I coudln't imagine actually making/milling cost to produce one!
View Quote
On UZItalk Vegas was talking about having a hard time getting tungsten due to the trade restrictions currently with china.

I brought up the idea of having someone 3D print the bolt out of steel and make it hollow then pour in lead.  Left field idea but could work.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They are both single feed, double stack magazines. I cant imagine why the bolt would strip a round from one and not the other?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12678/reisingmag-690560.jpg
View Quote
Different internal geometry to the magazines, different spring rates, different total force in terms of the holding power on the top round inside the feed lips, different feed lip angles, different bolt mass, different bolt speed... there are a lot of factors, and it's a common issue to run into when playing around with various systems, especially when considering two older designs.

Newer guns are more forgiving, and going with an older, low bolt mass closed bolt SMG design and making it work with a mag from an older high bolt mass open bolt SMG... well, it may take some doing. It's not just a question of getting things to physically fit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

On UZItalk Vegas was talking about having a hard time getting tungsten due to the trade restrictions currently with china.

I brought up the idea of having someone 3D print the bolt out of steel and make it hollow then pour in lead.  Left field idea but could work.
View Quote
Your lead idea, while "redneck", would work just fine to increase bolt mass compared to a steel bolt. Just make sure to have enough good steel on the front of the bolt, since lead isn't going to provide much strength!

As far as having issues sourcing tungsten, there are a few recycling companies in the USA which can provide bar stock as needed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your lead idea, while "redneck", would work just fine to increase bolt mass compared to a steel bolt. Just make sure to have enough good steel on the front of the bolt, since lead isn't going to provide much strength!

As far as having issues sourcing tungsten, there are a few recycling companies in the USA which can provide bar stock as needed.
View Quote
Yeah I am sure he has something figured out. He posted yesterday on uzitalk a CW 380 bolt. So he has enough to be playing around with ideas like that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It will feed.  I should have been clearer, my initial question wasn't looking for hypothetical scenarios. I was wanting to know if anyone knew of anyone else who made this attempt already.
View Quote
Silly me, I thought you were asking "Why hasn't anyone made a GreaseGun Mag conversion for a Reising?"

Just offering my input as to why it hasn't been done, feel free to ignore my thoughts. As I mentioned, it's been ten or so years since I messed with a Reising.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:28:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It will feed.  I should have been clearer, my initial question wasn't looking for hypothetical scenarios. I was wanting to know if anyone knew of anyone else who made this attempt already.
View Quote
If anyone has done so, it would be Scott Andrey.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#17]
The mag has to fit through the action bar.
If you make the action bar thinner it will most likely break, it's a weak point as it is.
If you make the action bar wider, then it won't fit in the stock.

After you solve that issue, then you can start worrying about feed angle, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The mag has to fit through the action bar.
View Quote
This. Action bar slot is too narrow for GG mags.

Also, I played around with adding weight to the action bar. I got it down to where it would still run, and was noticeably slower.  I’ve got an action bar with a block of steel of appropriate weight welded to it around here somewhere. Just need to figure out a stock for it.

But I could still not get it slow enough to pull singles before it would start to choke.

12.75 oz appears to be the most weight I can add without inducing failures.

Reising rate-of-fire adjustments
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
would using a Reising mag as a drum tower provide a lower more constant amount of spring pressure on rounds?

Because I know a GG mag can get pretty insane regarding spring pressure.  My friends all comment on my super human strength when loading regular pistol mags, they often struggle without a loader, but even I can't get to 10 rounds in a GG mag without a loader.

and if you can get a 45 drum figured out, it would have more applications such as MAC10s.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#20]
What about the 1911 drums?
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
BarrelXchange made some drums using a Soumi and a doner mag for a tower. They were made for Reising, Mac-10, and maybe one other.

Cost was a few hundred dollars plus the buyer provided the doner mag. Capacity was around 42, if I recall correctly.

For the price and capacity, I figured I would get by with 30-round Christie mags.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Won't fit thru the action bars
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Have you tried reducing spring rates with the added mass? may help with the fte and slow it down a little more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you tried reducing spring rates with the added mass? may help with the fte and slow it down a little more.
View Quote
I haven’t tinkered excessively. I bought a Wolff spring set when I bought the Reising. Seems like it sped things noticeably. My original hammer spring was in rough shape so I left the new one there, but put the original recoil spring back in. That helped some.

I have not played with lighter springs plus the weight.

My other concern is if the added weight would somehow cause damage where the bolt locks into the receiver. Just something nagging in the back of my head.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#25]
i was thinking about this as I want to get a m50 some time . I was thinking about drilling a hole in the front of the stock that runs into the cocking slot channel . A tungsten rod that is  drilled and tapped  would run in the new drilled channel and a threaded bolt  would attach the action rod to the tungsten rod. A longer stock that extends to the end of the compensator might be needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top