Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2020 10:54:26 AM EDT
Since Bill passed, I really like what Ruger has done. They actually make decent products that the market wants. A few years ago, companies started rolling out their low end, cheap beater rifles. Savage with the Axis. TC with the Compass. Mossberg with the Patriot line....

So Ruger comes out with the American. Seems to be a homerun. A ground up design. Problem is though is that it does not seem to be a bargain rifle. Prices come in around $500 which is $200-$300 more than the competition. Seems to me Ruger is just taking sales away form their M77 rifles which are just dated imho. I know some people are fans of the mauser type actions but the M77 is a jacked copy of a mauser in the first place.. Seems like Ruger would be better off dropping it and start expanding on the American line with stainless, varmint rifles...etc etc...
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The 77 is waaay classier than the American and has the best safety in the business. That's  why.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
How unclassy would an American be with hardwood stock and stainless steel?

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Will take a crf over push feed any day of the week.

Plus they are a classic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I never had a Ruger 77, but I did have a 77/22 and it was superb. I now have an American Rimfire, and it's fine, but it's not on the 77/22's level.

But, the real reason to still make the M77 is because people are buying them. As long as they're still selling a 77 (or a $900+ Mini14 in the era of $500 AR15's), more power to them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will take a crf over push feed any day of the week.

Plus they are a classic.
View Quote

I prefer CRF tp PF, generally.  However, there can be some drawbacks to CRF, such as some CRF rifles requiring the ctg to be emplaced under the extractor claw because their specific design will not allow the extractor claw to over-ride the ctg base on closing the bolt.  PF rifles do not exhibit this.  So, if one wants the capability of single-loading ctgs with minimal fuss, then go PF.  If the user wants to single-load CRF rifles, then one will need to insert the ctg into the magazine where the claw of the extractor can pick it up, as designed, and "control" the ctg.  In the case of the Ruger, this much more easily done with the polymer mags than the metal mags.

Due to construction tolerances and so forth, although a nominal CRF design, the Ruger M77 Mk II has about 50-50 chance of being either a CRF or PF action.

The above is my paraphrasing of R. Mann in his book "The Scout Rifle Study", Pgs 118-119.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I prefer CRF tp PF, generally.  However, there can be some drawbacks to CRF, such as some CRF rifles requiring the ctg to be emplaced under the extractor claw because their specific design will not allow the extractor claw to over-ride the ctg base on closing the bolt.  PF rifles do not exhibit this.  So, if one wants the capability of single-loading ctgs with minimal fuss, then go PF.  If the user wants to single-load CRF rifles, then one will need to insert the ctg into the magazine where the claw of the extractor can pick it up, as designed, and "control" the ctg.  In the case of the Ruger, this much more easily done with the polymer mags than the metal mags.

Due to construction tolerances and so forth, although a nominal CRF design, the Ruger M77 Mk II has about 50-50 chance of being either a CRF or PF action.

The above is my paraphrasing of R. Mann in his book "The Scout Rifle Study", Pgs 118-119.
View Quote

I'm curious why his experience is different than mine.  Granted I haven't used the Mk II Scout but my admittedly limited experience with the Mk II has the rims all going under the extractor as soon as they are free of the feed lips. IIRC the MK II has the extractor nose profile of the MK I and allows single feeding w/o loading the mag.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm curious why his experience is different than mine.  Granted I haven't used the Mk II Scout but my admittedly limited experience with the Mk II has the rims all going under the extractor as soon as they are free of the feed lips. IIRC the MK II has the extractor nose profile of the MK I and allows single feeding w/o loading the mag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no expert, either.  Just repeating his advice, since the conversation included the CRF/PF issue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a simple answer to the OP's question of Why Ruger still makes the M77.

People still buy it.  Simple.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a 77 in 300wm and that thing was heavy and not overly accurate.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a 77 in 300wm and that thing was heavy and not overly accurate.

View Quote

A possible remedy for some accuracy issues WRT the M77 rifle is to follow the Mfr's procedure, stated in the Owner's manual, for the tightening sequence, and the torqueing specs of the action screws.  Both must be done properly for best result.  You'll need an inch/pounds torque wrench, and the proper tips/bits.  The HF torque wrenches seem to get satisfactory reviews for light-duty use, YMMV.  

I have heard that a number of owners, doing this properly have seen an improvement in accuracy.  Certainly not a miracle cure, but doing it right seems to be beneficial.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is a simple answer to the OP's question of Why Ruger still makes the M77.

People still buy it.  Simple.
View Quote

This.  

For hunting rifles, I'd sell 3-4 M77 rifles for every other brand of rifles, with Tikka being the exception being closer to 2:1 in Ruger's favor.  Controlled round feed long actions are still very popular guns.  When the Guide, Alaskan, and African models came out, we could hardly keep them in stock for more than a day or two.  Mind you, where I worked was one of the highest volume Ruger dealers in the US.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The only objection I have with respect to modern Ruger M77 rifles is the tendency for the bolt to "stick" when pushed both UP and Forwards when closing the bolt.

A very skilled, trained user can overcome this very natural mistake, by pushing the bolt forwards, without any Upwards force on the bolt handle.  Most of us are not that skilled, nor so well-trained.

This issue can be resolved by the user opening the bolt, and closing it, while making a point of putting upwards pressure against the bolt handle whilst forcing it forward.  Do so MANY times.  The action will "wear-in"  the bolt/action over time, with the user making a definite point of putting upward pressure on the bolt handle, while pushing the bolt forward.

There are other ways of resolving this issue, but I am hesitant on suggesting such, lest the unskilled user damage their rifle.

I suggest the user just make a point of "wearing-in" their Ruger M77 bolt.  Done right, the "stickiness" ov the bolt will go away.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both m77 30-06 and a American 6.5 creed.

I guess the American is cheaper to make.

But more after market part for the American line.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.  

For hunting rifles, I'd sell 3-4 M77 rifles for every other brand of rifles, with Tikka being the exception being closer to 2:1 in Ruger's favor.  Controlled round feed long actions are still very popular guns.  When the Guide, Alaskan, and African models came out, we could hardly keep them in stock for more than a day or two.  Mind you, where I worked was one of the highest volume Ruger dealers in the US.
View Quote

I was like damn this dude must be from Alaska before I saw your location. Stainless synthetic 77's were our bread and butter and we did a PFD package with them that was really popular. Those guns are rock solid work horses. Chambered in something like 338 win mag they were truly one of the best affordable options.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Might be ultra rare occurrence but on multiple push feed rifles i have had loaded rounds bounce out and around make it tough to close the bolt.
I know of other people having the same experience with pf rifles.

Never have any problems with crf or the problem raf pointed out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#17]
People can say what they want, but Bill Ruger knew what people wanted.
Luger like 22 - check
10/22 - check
Single action revolver - check
Double action revolver - check
.22 revolver- check
M77 - check
Single shot rifle - check
And the list goes on and on.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#18]
The m77 I have shot in 280 Remington was plenty accurate out to 200 yards to drop wild pigs where they stood.
My cousin had one of their varmint configurations in 308 and was as accurate as any Savage or Remington off the shelf.  With hand loads it was 5/8-3/4 inch groups all day.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
The m77 I have shot in 280 Remington was plenty accurate out to 200 yards to drop wild pigs where they stood.
My cousin had one of their varmint configurations in 308 and was as accurate as any Savage or Remington off the shelf.  With hand loads it was 5/8-3/4 inch groups all day.

Edit:double tap
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my customers still has both eyeballs b/c his .270 was a push-feed when he loaded .308 into it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Out of curiosity....what action is used in the rpr? Looks like an American action
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity....what action is used in the rpr? Looks like an American action
View Quote

It’s similar but different if I remember right.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One of my customers still has both eyeballs b/c his .270 was a push-feed when he loaded .308 into it.
View Quote

I have read, and re-read this post a few times, and I remain uncertain about it.  Please expand.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have read, and re-read this post a few times, and I remain uncertain about it.  Please expand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I think he’s trying to say is that if it was controlled round feed it would’ve fed the 308 into the chamber end it would’ve gone off exploding the gun. Since it was push feed it probably came loose in the action.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#25]
You could be right, but I'd prefer a direct response.  Still questioning.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a 20+yo M77 MkII VT in .308. Pretty respectable in the accuracy department.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  One of my customers still has both eyeballs b/c his .270 was a push-feed when he loaded .308 into it.

Son wants to buy his Da a camouflage .308 for Christmas.  He goes to the local big-box store, where they're out of camo .308s.  Shoe salesman hands boy a camo .270 push feed.  Mom does the paperwork, boy picks up .308 ammo.

Da is overjoyed by his son's present, heads to range w/ .270 rifle & .308 ammo a few days after Christmas.

Loads up mag, slams bolt shut, draws down on target, squeezes trigger.  "Click."

Opens bolt, .308 round doesn't extract, has to be rodded out.  Man is puzzled, alert rangemaster looks @ bbl, discovers rifle is a .270, man was trying to cheat & get very high BC .270 projectiles @ extremely high velocity.

Man comes to box store furious, your reporter talks him down, sells him a fancier camouflage rifle in .308.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Son wants to buy his Da a camouflage .308 for Christmas.  He goes to the local big-box store, where they're out of camo .308s.  Shoe salesman hands boy a camo .270 push feed.  Mom does the paperwork, boy picks up .308 ammo.

Da is overjoyed by his son's present, heads to range w/ .270 rifle & .308 ammo a few days after Christmas.

Loads up mag, slams bolt shut, draws down on target, squeezes trigger.  "Click."

Opens bolt, .308 round doesn't extract, has to be rodded out.  Man is puzzled, alert rangemaster looks @ bbl, discovers rifle is a .270, man was trying to cheat & get very high BC .270 projectiles @ extremely high velocity.

Man comes to box store furious, your reporter talks him down, sells him a fancier camouflage rifle in .308.
View Quote

I'll have to re-read this tomorrow.  Much to tired now to my making sense of it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll have to re-read this tomorrow.  Much to tired now to my making sense of it.
View Quote

Good luck with that
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#30]
A buddy now has 3 Ruger American rifles, a 6.5cm hunter that blew my socks off, and a basic 7.62X39 and .223 one that while shoot decent are nothing to get excited about. the bolt is kinda clunky.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the dated comment.   How is the m77 based rifle dated?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like the dated comment.   How is the m77 based rifle dated?
View Quote

Its been around half a century and based its design on guns much older. Isn’t that the definition of dated.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#33]
In the context it means an old design and. I longer useful because there are better options.  I would believe.  Not as is having a date.

like a 1911.

Someone tell me the dates features.  I'm curious.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In the context it means an old design and. I longer useful because there are better options.  I would believe.  Not as is having a date.

like a 1911.

Someone tell me the dates features.  I'm curious.
View Quote

One of the dated features is the action screw that comes in from the front at an angle. Makes it harder to bed and limited the stock availability on the aftermarket.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#35]
When did Ruger start making the M77 in “standard” rifle calibers again? I don’t see any on their website, just the plinking/pistol calibers and Hawkeye rifles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most people don't know that the first generation of M-77 (w/ tang safety) were all manufactured as PUSH FEED.  It wasn't until the MkII that they became CRF.  

Which CRF rifles will not allow the extractor to ride over the rim when single loading?
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When did Ruger start making the M77 in "standard" rifle calibers again? I don't see any on their website, just the plinking/pistol calibers and Hawkeye rifles.
View Quote

most, at least me, refer to the Hawkeye as the M77 still.  I believe most changes were ergonomic and a different trigger.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

most, at least me, refer to the Hawkeye as the M77 still.  I believe most changes were ergonomic and a different trigger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When did Ruger start making the M77 in "standard" rifle calibers again? I don't see any on their website, just the plinking/pistol calibers and Hawkeye rifles.

When the Hawkeye came out it was a 77 Hawkeye I think. It’s been a long time
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The 77 is waaay classier than the American and has the best safety in the business. That's  why.
View Quote

It kills Russian and Cubans well too. ..
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolverines!
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One of the dated features is the action screw that comes in from the front at an angle. Makes it harder to bed and limited the stock availability on the aftermarket.
View Quote
The angled front screw does a good job of pulling the action into the seat in the stock for the recoil lug on the receiver.  The trick here is to use the torqueing procedure specified in the Ruger manual for your particular rifle.  Done properly, it works well.  Done improperly (or not torqued at all), the results will be less than optimal.

I have bedded my Ruger GSR into a syn stock using this sort of screw arrangement, torqued it as per factory spec, and had good results.  Let's say better accuracy than with the un-bedded, laminated stock, which was not properly torqued by the factory.  Even after proper torqueing of the laminated stock, the bedded syn stock was better, which is not surprising.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish they still made the M77RSM.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#43]
The 77 is a classic rifle though I'm a bit biased with 8 of them including 3 VT stainless in 22-250, 243, and 308. Mine are all MK2s though I do like the tang safety ones.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The only objection I have with respect to modern Ruger M77 rifles is the tendency for the bolt to "stick" when pushed both UP and Forwards when closing the bolt.

View Quote

This is my big issue with them.  After trying to get a quick second shot at a fleeing coyote and having it bind up solid, I sold it right away.  Haven't owned another since.

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Have a stainless Hawkeye .30-06 that I paid less than $500 for new---about 10 years ago. Its not as accurate as my Browning(on paper) but accurate enough to drop anything I aim it at.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#46]
M77 is a classic Mauser action rifle and tough as heck.  Why wouldn't they still be building them?  LOL, they're only making plinkers now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is my big issue with them.  After trying to get a quick second shot at a fleeing coyote and having it bind up solid, I sold it right away.  Haven't owned another since.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been told that this "stickiness" will wear-in over use.  There may be some techniques that can be gently used to speed up the wear-in process; It may be possible to sand a very slight chamfer on the upper rear edge of the bolt channel on which the bolt binds when pushed up and forwards simultaneously.  Gently doing so would mimic use-induced wear, and likely reduce or eliminate the issue.  This procedure might well cause warranty issues if over-done, so proceed with caution.  I have not tried out this technique, but experience and common sense says that it might solve/reduce the issue.  So would wearing-in the bolt, as in many instances of the user working the bolt, such as dry-firing practice.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have never experienced this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not every Ruger M-77 exhibits this issue.  Some do, some don't, and the degree can vary.  Some users have trained themselves to NOT push the bolt handle Upwards when closing the bolt.  Some folks have "worn-in" their rifles, or acquired "veteran" rifles, so that the condition has long ago ceased to be a problem.

On my fairly new Ruger GSR rifle, I can make this "binding" happen at will, simply by pushing the bolt handle Upwards against the receiver when closing the bolt.  The harder I push the bolt upwards, the tighter it binds.  OTOH, I can easily push the bolt straight forward. as hard as I wish, as long as zero upward pressure is put into the bolt handle.

Like I said above, there's a simple fix for this.  Probably the same thing Ruger does, but that's a guess.   One can always send the thing back to Ruger; they have pretty good customer service, and doing so will preserve your warranty.

Speaking only for myself, I think I will take a few, gentle passes with a Jeweler's half-round file to the top rear edge of the receiver where my bolt is binding.  A gentle , shallow-angled chamfer of the rear edge will be all that is needed--just enough to replicate wear at that point.  YMMV.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top