Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 2/13/2020 4:50:48 PM EDT
I have wanted an Al Mar SERE 2000 for over a year now. Never seen one in person but the pictures of them give me that “they don’t make them like that anymore” feeling.

I have been unable to get past the premium price for mid-level materials though.

Not sure if I’m looking for people to talk me into it or out of it but we will see where it goes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I love Al Mar and his knives but I've gone away from liner locks.  I also agree with the other poster that they are likely overpriced (at retail, and retail-plus) for what you get.  THAT BEING SAID-I have one I've had in my "sale box" for a while I haven't listed...I was going to send it to a consignment dealer...  I would make you a good deal if you still want one.  And no price gouging as you referred to.  Only thing-I'm leaving early tomorrow for an out-of-town trip until late, late Saturday night.  After that -if you're interested-we can talk.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 4:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree about getting something else for the price, unless you just want one to throw in the knife collection.  If you want to do that, I'd look for a deal on an original.  But I might be biased.  

The originals were a more traditional folding knife design compared to the newer models, and you had to deal with a back lock and nail nick.  I'm not sure how the current construction and QC compares to the '80s/ '90s models.  After handling the originals and then the 2000 when it was released, I preferred the original versions.

I've had a 3002-A since '90 time-frame.  Banged around in my flight gear for the next 9 years, used off and on for stuff here and there.  The micarta has some scuffs and dings, brass has taken a patina, some staining and wear rubs on the blade and the edge is a bit rough, and the blade pivot pin has a touch of rust.  But it still locks up rock solid and the lock is still tight.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe not the best value any more with the myriad of options on the market these days but they're still really good knives with very smooth actions. I have one and carried it for years before eventually replacing it with a smaller and lighter Sebenza.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe not the best value any more with the myriad of options on the market these days but they're still really good knives with very smooth actions. I have one and carried it for years before eventually replacing it with a smaller and lighter Sebenza.
View Quote
I kind of agree.  I've had my SERE 2000 for several years (I also have an Original Al Mar SERE folder and the SERE 2000 auto).  The knife fit and finish is excellent, it's a smooth opener and good lock up.  The blade design is pretty nostalgic, but well executed.  it's a heavy beast with really thick stainless liners, I also love the deep pocket clip.  My issue is simply the price for the materials as they are pretty mediocre.  The cost is really for the brand, design origins, and really good QA/QC.

I see the Al Mar SERE 2000 much like my Emersons (and I own several).  I'm paying for features, name, and reputation (I've used them for over 20 years), as they to are made of mediocre/average materials, and while the fit is excellent, the finish leaves a lot to be desired, but they are some of my trusted and most used folders.

If you can get over the cost, you won't be disappointed with the knife, but as others have mentioned, there are a lot of excellent knives in that price range, but it's really an iconic design.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have wanted an Al Mar SERE 2000 for over a year now. Never seen one in person but the pictures of them give me that “they don’t make them like that anymore” feeling.

I have been unable to get past the premium price for mid-level materials though.

Not sure if I’m looking for people to talk me into it or out of it but we will see where it goes.
View Quote
Over the years I've miss out on several things I now wish I would have pulled the trigger on...

I'm not saying do it but will you look back and wish you had

For the record I'm a knife junkie and still keep finding more I want
Edit;
Like this one, a Blackjack Halo Attack 14
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to Sheepdogleader who gave me a fair deal on a perfect SERE 2000. Just got it today and it didn’t disappoint.

They definitely don’t make it like this anymore which isn't meant as a slight against new knives. Consumer tastes and advancements in materials and manufacturing are trending toward the 3oz working EDC (bugout etc...) but there is something to be said about brute size and heft.

I think it is the solid steel insert on the butt of the knife that makes me happy for whatever reason. One thing I didn’t notice in pictures or read in reviews is that there is not one single jimp on the entire knife. I can see it getting slippery.

Bottom line, I like it and am going to put it to work.

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Your knife's predecessor says "hello" and "enjoy".    You can see how little the design changed over the years.

Attachment Attached File

If anyone is interested in some history on the SERE lines, I can dig up some old links and see if they are still active.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, the original SERE is the King (at the top...I like big folders)

Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like some of those.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Double Damn Post

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really like some of those.
View Quote
Yeah, I've always been intrigued with large folders.  The history around the Al Mar SERE design is still relevant in certain situations.  The original Al Mar SERE was designed in collaboration with COL Rowe as a folder that a soldier could have on their person to handle all the scenarios they might encounter in a SERE situation; COL Rowe supposedly accepted the SERE folder as the "first" SERE knife for SERE school.  I think much of the thinking at the time was a belt-mounted, heavy duty folder that remained compact yet could still do heavy duty cutting chores.  Even today, given the typical kit and frequent ingress/egress from vehicles, fixed, and rotary wings, compact tools are pretty important.  I would never say a folder can replace a fixed blade, but some folders can still offer a lot of performance in a compact package.

Every folder pictured has a blade length of 4" or greater.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#14]
My biggest folder is a ZT 562 which is pretty darn light considering it’s size.  When I picked up a Kershaw launch 8 the other day I looked at a ZT 308 which I desire as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've always been intrigued with large folders.  The history around the Al Mar SERE design is still relevant in certain situations.  The original Al Mar SERE was designed in collaboration with COL Rowe as a folder that a soldier could have on their person to handle all the scenarios they might encounter in a SERE situation; COL Rowe supposedly accepted the SERE folder as the "first" SERE knife for SERE school.  I think much of the thinking at the time was a belt-mounted, heavy duty folder that remained compact yet could still do heavy duty cutting chores.  Even today, given the typical kit and frequent ingress/egress from vehicles, fixed, and rotary wings, compact tools are pretty important.  I would never say a folder can replace a fixed blade, but some folders can still offer a lot of performance in a compact package.

Every folder pictured has a blade length of 4" or greater.

ROCK6
View Quote
Almar in the past has had a booth at the Oregon knife collector show every April.  It was always fun to talk to them.  Who knows this year - I doubt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Almar in the past has had a booth at the Oregon knife collector show every April.  It was always fun to talk to them.  Who knows this year - I doubt.
View Quote
The Al Mar team has really changed.  I talked with them at the Atlanta Blade Show several years ago about them possibly fixing my original SERE that has a chip in the micarta handle....they weren't even interested at all.  I like the new SERE 2000, not so much for the price, but they seem to have forgotten their roots.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Your knife's predecessor says "hello" and "enjoy".    You can see how little the design changed over the years.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/113647/_DSC0613_DxO_-_Copy_jpg-1288211.JPG

If anyone is interested in some history on the SERE lines, I can dig up some old links and see if they are still active.
View Quote
I recognize the cammo pattern in the background.

During the Gulf war all the aircrews wanted a night desert jacket- like way bad.  I finally managed to talk a supply guy into giving me one and after that I was pestered constantly with trade offers.  I didn't know they made a boonie...  
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve got an original SERE and a small one to go with it, too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

During the Gulf war all the aircrews wanted a night desert jacket- like way bad.  I finally managed to talk a supply guy into giving me one and after that I was pestered constantly with trade offers.  I didn't know they made a boonie...  
View Quote
Also pants.  One of the few things they would issue us was the night parka and liner.

We had problems even getting PASGT flak jackets to replace the old worn out, creased, cracked, and flaking Vietnam-era versions we had.  Along with steel pots and 38 revolvers.  Not enough survival vests, flak jackets or weapons to go around.  Everything was shared.  We had crews got out a few times with no survival vests.  We also had outdated chem auto-injectors.  And all of the aircraft armor packages had been sent for disposal years previously.  USAFE unit.  We watched most come from the States with new gear, Kevlar, desert camo, M9s... the supply and finance peeps showed up with all the new gear as personal issue.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Over the years I've miss out on several things I now wish I would have pulled the trigger on...

I'm not saying do it but will you look back and wish you had

For the record I'm a knife junkie and still keep finding more I want
Edit;
Like this one, a Blackjack Halo Attack 14
https://i.imgur.com/D31b4YB.jpg
View Quote
I've been looking for that BJ 14 for YEARS! DO
they even make them anymore?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Limited runs but they are out there
Currently they are made by Bark River Knives
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Limited runs but they are out there
Currently they are made by Bark River Knives

Knife center pre order
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah, the original SERE is the King (at the top...I like big folders)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/Blades/20190918_114034_zps7ekyagxj.jpg
View Quote

What is the knife just above the Glock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is the knife just above the Glock?
View Quote

@crag_dt

Ontario Hossom Retribution
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Says something about IR on the label in mine.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Sere 2000 and there is just something about it that makes it feel more refined than most in its class. It’s like a dressy tactical folder, or a gentleman of action’s folder...
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top