Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2018 2:34:05 PM EDT
I want to put together an AR-15 with more ass than 5.56mm.

I love 6mm bullets, but I don’t love short barrel life in 308-win based cases.

Sooo...of the two cases, which is the better route (availability & muzzle velocity & barrel life)?

6.5G is based off 7.62x39, and the 6.8 case is it’s own thing. .224 Valerie & 22nosler use this so I think the case is no danger of becoming unavailable.

Any advise you guys can give is much appreciated.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
For what?  Hunting?  Long range paper punching?  I had 6.8 but sold it and ammo for 6.5G due to having Wolf steel case ammo at sub-25 cents per round.  They multiplied, now I have an 18" I use for longer ranges (out to 1K) with Hornady AG 123gr for paper and SSTs for hunting, a 16" that gets a steady diet of Wolf, and a 12" that also gets Wolf.  I took the 16" to 500Y today with a Steiner P4xi 1-4 and surprised myself with steady hits on an 18" tall steel target.

i think the 6.8 and 6.5 ballistically are pretty similar, 224 V is a bit better longer but less energy at distance.  All will probably make you happy.  Good luck!

ETA:  I don't know about barrel life, sorry.  My 16 and 12 are faxon group buy barrels that are nitrided and the 18" is an Odinworks stainless.  It already has maybe 2500-3000 rounds through it and still shooting 1 MOA, maybe better from a better shooter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Robert Whitley's site, www.6mmAR.com.

He sells uppers and barrels for a lot of AR based wildcats.

He publishes load data for each cartridge and is highly regarded.

He specializes in 6mm Grendel based wildcats.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
"more ass" = what are your requirements?  What do you want to do with this new cartridge which cannot be done with 223 Rem?

No matter what your requirements are, unless you are a masochist, my first suggestion is to buy a cartridge solidly supported by factory brass and factory ammo.

If it is a true wildcat, a non-SAAMI cartridge that requires you to make your own brass with no option to buy factory brass, forget it and move on to some other cartridge.

6mm is a really good caliber.  Even the 107 gr bullets offer very low recoil (not much more than an 80 gr 223) and there are lighter bullet options to further reduce recoil.

I have never shot anything except 107 gr SMK's in my 6mm, ever.  

I'm not exactly sure what that means but it is a fact.  Maybe it implies I've never needed anything else, never felt hindered in any way by the bullet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Like mentioned either the 6mm ar turbo based on the grendel case or a 6mm-6.8 spc (valkyrie brass would likely be the easier to form route these days dependent on quality) are going to offer some of the best performance from the platform aside from going to a 243 wssm.

Nosler is to be releasing a 24 Nosler one of these years (my guess is the next shot show) according to the sammi spec's it looks to be essentially a 6mm valkyrie with the rebated rimmmed case.

that being said however the .224 valkyrie seems to be gathering some steam and with the bc of the 90-95gr smk it may still have an edge on a 6mm variant. (as a target cartridge, game hunting different story)
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've long been tempted to build a 6 X 45 upper.  If you reload it's a no-brainer to make 6mm/.243 out of standard 5.56 X 45 AR15 cases with a 6 X 45 die set.  Looking at the ballistics of the 6 X 45 vs 5.56 X 45, one almost wonders why that wasn't the premier round for the military and other uses anyway.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
6x6.8 if you're shooting lighter bullets, I really like mine

6x6.5G for the heavier bullets
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want to put together an AR-15 with more ass than 5.56mm.

I love 6mm bullets, but I don’t love short barrel life in 308-win based cases.

Sooo...of the two cases, which is the better route (availability & muzzle velocity & barrel life)?

6.5G is based off 7.62x39, and the 6.8 case is it’s own thing. .224 Valerie & 22nosler use this so I think the case is no danger of becoming unavailable.

Any advise you guys can give is much appreciated.

Thanks again.
View Quote
277 Wolverine.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

277 Wolverine.
View Quote
I'll "+1" this.

I have a 12.5" 277 WLV barrel and am getting about 2,400FPS using converted .223 cases and the Speer TNT 90gr bullet.

If you don't want to convert brass there are factory fresh (and properly headstamped) cases available from Hornady and Starline.  Hornady and Lee make dies.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
If you specifically want to stay with 6mm bullets there's also the 6mm Mongoose. Another wildcat based off the 223 case. I haven't messed with it but it is supposed to work pretty well with bullets in the 90-95gr range, pushing 2800fps with a 20" barrel. Heavier bullets can be loaded but probably not to mag length. Also, the Magpul 300BLK mags are supposed to work better than standard 223 mags if you want to have full mag capacity.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not just 6.5G?

Has more ass.

Great barrel life, similar ballistics to .308 without the larger frame.

It’s popular and not hard to find.

Lots of load data and following.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
OP - 1 post

10 replies over 6 days

OP - no response
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure I completely understand the question.

Needs something with more umph than the 5.56  I would go 6.5 Grendel

Why are there so many 6mm.   You can still use the 5.56 size AR upper and lower parts.  Only new parts would be the mag, bolt and barrel
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I would go 6x45, all you need is dies and a barrel.

Coyote hunters who feel the need for just a hair more love it.

Predator masters site, Billy Bob Outfitters, everything you need to learn right there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll "+1" this.

I have a 12.5" 277 WLV barrel and am getting about 2,400FPS using converted .223 cases and the Speer TNT 90gr bullet.

If you don't want to convert brass there are factory fresh (and properly headstamped) cases available from Hornady and Starline.  Hornady and Lee make dies.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

277 Wolverine.
I'll "+1" this.

From what it sounds like the OP wants, the .277 WLV is the best solution.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would go 6x45, all you need is dies and a barrel.

Coyote hunters who feel the need for just a hair more love it.

Predator masters site, Billy Bob Outfitters, everything you need to learn right there.
View Quote
This.  6x45 with 60 to 80 grain bullets.  I have a 20" and get ~2800 fps with conservative loads.  Kills coyotes dead.  I haven't used it on deer but plenty do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
From OP's post, it sounds like he's asking for direction on which parent case to go with for a 6mm wildcat.

The Grendel case has the most usable assortment of 6mm projectiles since it's shorter, as much case capacity or more than any of the others that will double-stack in available AR15 magazines, with a ready supply of bolts.

I've been thinking about a 6mm Grendel for years as well, as it's the cartridge to beat in the AR15 for long range, outdoing Valkyrie.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
6.8 or 6.8 case based. Has some factory support. So components are not a huge PITA. Shit ton of projectiles to choose from. Quite a bit of secondary support is available.
Even over the counter rounds can push 85grn pills to 2900 ish FPS.
After that you are left with 308 case based..
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From OP's post, it sounds like he's asking for direction on which parent case to go with for a 6mm wildcat.

The Grendel case has the most usable assortment of 6mm projectiles since it's shorter, as much case capacity or more than any of the others that will double-stack in available AR15 magazines, with a ready supply of bolts.

I've been thinking about a 6mm Grendel for years as well, as it's the cartridge to beat in the AR15 for long range, outdoing Valkyrie.
View Quote
So, given your expertise and ongoing love affair with the 6.5Grendel, which would you choose for long range paper punching?

6.5 Grendel or 6mmAR/6mm Grendel?  And why?

Edit: 'Cause I can't type.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I am going to look into getting a 6x45 upper.

No new bolts needed, same mags like I said before, same everything as 223 xcept barrel.

Shoot 80-90gr bullets from necked up 223 case and 6mm bullets go down to 60 I believe, Speer makes a 105. Then there is a 90gr partition.So simple I can even do it.

Will have to study up what twist I will be happy with that handles a 90 gr bullet. Lay some smackdown on them yotes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#20]
A buddy just put together a .264 LBC upper and is loving the 80-90gr offerings and is trying to get hold of some 107gr SMKs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I was in the same spot as you, I wanted an AR that can shoot 100gr or higher bullets at 2500fps or higher. I looked into a handful of 6mm cartridges and found a lot of good options. Then I found Grendel, it has a lot of ammo options, good bullet weight range, and is in the right spot velocity wise.

I'm extremely happy I went with the 6.5 Grendel, ammo selection is awesome and it's only getting better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Like what was said above, I would stick with a factory supported caliber lik 6.5 Grendel. Barrels, bolts, brass can be found from multiple manufacturers. I like wildcats, but I am too cheap and too short on free time for them. The wildcats will offer the performance you want if you have the time and/or money for them.

I am hoping to get an ar10 caliber for my “more ass” gun. There’s only so much you can do within an ar15 magazine loaded cartridge. You have your max length&width and chamber pressure. A wildcat with enough case capacity and room left for a heavy for caliber bullet is great, but it’s just easier to remove the magazine size restrictions and go to the long action cartridges.

The best 4 cylinder engine doesn’t start to compete with a well built big block v8. There’s no replacement for displacement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top