Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2020 10:07:51 PM EDT
I was watching my son play COD and noticed they still have the SPAS-12 in the game (many games popularize that shotgun)

I was never really a fan of it, but there are many that do like it - if anything because of the game culture followings.

I am curious with originals fetching lots of money - Why wouldn't  we see some Turkish or Chinese  copies of SPAS-12?

I'd think the patents are >25 years now and seems like they could get an immediate following.  Even if it was just semi-auto version only.

Call of Duty's "Galo-12"

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It was a marginally reliable shotgun.  It was also heavy, finicky, and the early safety could have been better.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was a marginally reliable shotgun.  It was also heavy, finicky, and the early safety could have been better.
View Quote

Hahahha on the safety comment. “Flick” - “BOOM!”
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold mine for 150. I kind of regret it even though I hated it
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It reality never lived up to the hype. Mine was reliable but heavy, and the pump->auto mode didn’t hold up well (mechanism jammed and was hard to switch mode). The folding stock looks cool but is THE WORST stock I have every used (and I own an AK underfolder)... after a hundred rounds I looked like I had the mumps.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with all of the above with it not living up to its reputation - (why I never purchased one to keep - had one traded it for something else decades ago - but their prices still climb?)

With all the Turkish weird semi-auto ar15-ish hybrids and Benelli-ish clones they make that are also marginal (yet made in quantity) they would make one that better resembled the Franchi in looks, not necessarily the exact feeble action.  It would sell on looks alone.  One could even sell it in ban states in a " pump only" mode/version

I find it unfortunate Franchi made an unreliable and fragile system as a more reliable shotgun should have been well within their wheelhouse - The Franchi 612 and the HK 512 they made were good - but the SPAS was a lemon - except in TV/Movies/Shooter Video Games.  I very much despised the variant I had with the "hook" on the gun- that was the original shotgun arm "brace" carry handle - It gave the worst shouldering ever in a shotgun.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: I very much despised the variant I had with the "hook" on the gun- that was the original shotgun arm "brace" carry handle - It gave the worst shouldering ever in a shotgun.
View Quote

The hook can be removed when not desired for use. It can also be positioned to the left, right, or forward position. There is a spring loaded plunger in the butt, and a round nub on the hook. You simply push the hook in and rotate it 90 degrees to lock in (think of how you push and twist the brake light bulb in a car).
When positioned to the left or right (for shooting left or right handed) the hook goes under your arm to allow you to fire one handed.
When positioned forward, when the stock is folded on top of it, it functions as a carry handle.

I have one (with the hook) and while it does have it's quarks, I would not trade it for anything. Luckily mine has the updated pushbutton safety.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to hunt Velociraptor's or imitate Arnold in the Terminator there is no substitute, that & the small amount that were imported is why they are selling for 3-4K on GB.

Probably no copies because of the complicated mechanism that's hard & expensive to reproduce!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want to hunt Velociraptor's or imitate Arnold in the Terminator there is no substitute, that & the small amount that were imported is why they are selling for 3-4K on GB.

Probably no copies because of the complicated mechanism that's hard & expensive to reproduce!
View Quote

Just be sure to open your stock prior to tracking the beasts!  

I liked that character in Jarassic Park - One of the smallest roles but more interesting characters.  He was The was the only guy who respected the animals with the fear they deserved and yet dies the most humiliating death by pausing to open his stock and take "careful" aim while another velociraptor gets the drop on him.

Moving this to another direction - I'd be interested in a prequel story to the first movie where he was the main character.  So tired of the animal lover mantra of portraying hunters as bad/evil in several of the sequels.  I didn't pay to see the sequels - If anything I may have stolen them off the internet and still felt robbed.

Link Posted: 12/8/2020 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I liked that character in Jarassic Park - One of the smallest roles but more interesting characters.  He was The was the only guy who respected the animals with the fear they deserved and yet dies the most humiliating death by pausing to open his stock and take "careful" aim while another velociraptor gets the drop on him.

Moving this to another direction - I'd be interested in a prequel story to the first movie where he was the main character.  So tired of the animal lover mantra of portraying hunters as bad/evil in several of the sequels.  I didn't pay to see the sequels - If anything I may have stolen them off the internet and still felt robbed.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/50/74/07/507407fed759e76e64b5ceaa944b9ff3.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/50/74/07/507407fed759e76e64b5ceaa944b9ff3.jpg

He doesn't die in the original book.  I was surprised they chose to do that in movie, it really cheapens his more realistic view of the dinosaurs.  In the book he also constantly requests Hammond approve more effective "military-style" weaponry only to be denied and reminds Hammond of it when they don't have a straightforward way to stop the T. Rex towards the end.

But yes, the SPAS-12 is a very visually iconic firearm that's made appearances in movies, video games, and literature for 40 years.  Especially fond memories of it in Half-life and Aliens.    But it's reputation as a finicky, complicated, finger-pinching, hard-recoiling beast that was expensive to manufacture explains why it was never copied.

The Turks will knock off anything, and they've stuck to the better (and far cheaper to produce) Beretta and Benelli designs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This totally... I had one and only kept it a few months. It looks cool as hell but the ergonomics are beyond awful and that stock is very uncomfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember a write up of it when it first came out - was a hoot.  Had zingers like "bolt was machined by Turkish day laborer", and "stock, which doubles as a coat hanger".  Had my 16 year old self rolling with laughter.

It's a piece of junk, but sort of cool looking, hence it's use in various media images, where you don't have actually have to use it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought one after “ The Terminator “ came out. I kept it a couple of years and got rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a lightly used (if ever used) one off a member here about 15 Years ago, in 2013 after the NY Safe  act happened I moved it out of NY to free America where it sits in the safe. Seeing what they have been selling for + the fact that I will probably never fire it, I think I'm going to list it on Gunbroker, might as well cash in & let someone enjoy it on a Velociraptor hunt!
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought one after “ The Terminator “ came out. I kept it a couple of years and got rid of it.
View Quote

I’m sure that Ahnald’s “Terminator” line referencing the “Twelve gauge ottoloaduh”, and it’s subsequent central screen presence in the movie sold more than a couple of SPAS-12 shotguns...
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’m sure that Ahnald’s “Terminator” line referencing the “Twelve gauge ottoloaduh”, and it’s subsequent central screen presence in the movie sold more than a couple of SPAS-12 shotguns...
View Quote

I’m sure it did. It looked better than it worked.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve never had an issue with mine nor have two other people I know that own them. I’m not saying it’s the case here, but a lot of the time, claims of them being unreliable turds can be traced back to either the person/s making the claim doesn’t or hasn’t ever owned one and is simply parroting what they hear/read online, at some point they’ve taken the gun apart and lost the rubber O ring, or they’re trying to shoot the cheapest bird shot they could find at Wal-Mart through it in semi-auto.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Because the Benelli M3 did the semi/pump concept much better (and I believe has been copied by Tri-star or some Turkish company)...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He doesn't die in the original book.  I was surprised they chose to do that in movie, it really cheapens his more realistic view of the dinosaurs.  In the book he also constantly requests Hammond approve more effective "military-style" weaponry only to be denied and reminds Hammond of it when they don't have a straightforward way to stop the T. Rex towards the end.

But yes, the SPAS-12 is a very visually iconic firearm that's made appearances in movies, video games, and literature for 40 years.  Especially fond memories of it in Half-life and Aliens.    But it's reputation as a finicky, complicated, finger-pinching, hard-recoiling beast that was expensive to manufacture explains why it was never copied.

The Turks will knock off anything, and they've stuck to the better (and far cheaper to produce) Beretta and Benelli designs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't the hunter in the second book related to someone who died in the first, and wanted to kill a T Rex for revenge?  For some reason I remember it that way, but I haven't read the second book since it was a new release.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top