Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2017 10:20:23 AM EDT
Probably about a year and a half ago, I went to a big family reunion. My uncle on my dads side gifted me a trapdoor springfield that has been in our family since 1890's. It has rust on the top of the barrel, the rear sight is frozen in place, the firing pin is broken, bore needs to be cleaned out, and most importantly, the lock works needs to be fixed. It will go into full cock, and I can feel it just barely grab the half cock notch, but it slips off it. I did very carefully remove the action from the stock, and under neath it there is still some remains of the original finish. I add some pictures later today to show what condition the rifle is in, but I won't be taking the action out again. I don't want to risk damage to the stock.

I fully understand the whole "family heirloom, keep as is" discussion. This rifle will never leave my family's possession, so lets get that out there. Also in the condition that it is in, I am afraid that any further deterioration will ultimately render the rifle as nothing more than a rusty pipe. I want to restore it so it is in a functional, presentable condition. Knocking off the rust, cleaning it up, and fixing what ever is broken. Even if I don't shoot it, I'd like for it to be in working mechanical condition. This is beyond the extent of my knowledge and work load capacity.

With all that being said, who can recommend a professional that has experience with something like this? The only name that comes to mind is turnbull to me, only because that is what I have heard the most of. Price is not an issue to me, neither is wait time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Turnbull?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I will be watching this as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Turnbull?
View Quote
Turnbull is the only one I am aware of who does restoration work, only because that is the only name I have heard off.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I would contact Al Frasca. He is one of the best when it comes to the trapdoor. He doesn't do any kind of restoration work, but could probably direct you to someone who can.
http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Turnbull is the only one I am aware of who does restoration work, only because that is the only name I have heard off.
View Quote
A Turnbull restoration is going to run between 4 and 6 thousand dollars for a single shot........

Their work is perfect, but I could never recommend them for something like this. The "price is no object" crowd usually isn't looking on arf.com for recommendations.....
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you considered Lodgewood? http://www.lodgewood.com/
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't put much thought into it, but I plan finally getting it into the hands of somebody who knows what they are doing. I will have to email lodge wood, but any suggestions are welcome
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Lodgewood can do it for sure, just be clear with your expectations. Luckily, parts are very common for these rifles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The rifle in question. It has been in a closet, and that is a family members initials carved into it.

Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Do it yourself.

Get coconut oil and a nickel (five cent piece).  Apply oil on metal and scrape with nickel. You'll remove the rust but keep the patina.

I would use nothing other than distilled water and clean cotton rags on the stock.  Damp the rag but don't make it soaking wet.  Rub gently.

When you're done, apply Renaissance Wax to protect against rust on wood, metal and leather (if any sling).
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do it yourself.

Get coconut oil and a nickel (five cent piece).  Apply oil on metal and scrape with nickel. You'll remove the rust but keep the patina.

I would use nothing other than distilled water and clean cotton rags on the stock.  Damp the rag but don't make it soaking wet.  Rub gently.

When you're done, apply Renaissance Wax to protect against rust on wood, metal and leather (if any sling).
View Quote
Or I could pay somebody who does it for a living and not leave it up to chance that I screw something up. I've done minor clean up work on guns before, but on something like this I'd rather have somebody who has a bit more patience and a steadier hand to do it for me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]
How about those guys that restore M-1s?
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about those guys that restore M-1s?
View Quote
I'm not familiar with who that would be?
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Google - M-1Garand restoration.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did, and three separate websites popped up. Would rather give it to somebody whose specialty is antiques and not m1 garands if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I did, and three separate websites popped up. Would rather give it to somebody whose specialty is antiques and not m1 garands if that makes sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They do more than that.  Send them an email.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which one in particular are you talking about. There were three websites listed: DGR, Schuffs, and millitech.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Which one in particular are you talking about. There were three websites listed: DGR, Schuffs, and millitech.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DGR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top