Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2019 8:56:50 AM EDT
I always wanted a flintlock but never got around to being serious about it. Now that I plan on doing cannon firing
for the Battle of New Orleans the flintlock bug infected me.

I need to go in the direction of a full stock rifle such as a  Pedersoli Kentucky Flintlock rifle . I will try to find a used one
if I can. But I sure can find a Hawkens type all day long at a good price used. I just have to hold out for a full stock one.

What do you shoot in flintlock?
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I always wanted a flintlock but never got around to being serious about it. Now that I plan on doing cannon firing
for the Battle of New Orleans the flintlock bug infected me.

I need to go in the direction of a full stock rifle such as a  Pedersoli Kentucky Flintlock rifle . I will try to find a used one
if I can. But I sure can find a Hawkens type all day long at a good price used. I just have to hold out for a full stock one.

What do you shoot in flintlock?
View Quote
I have several.

3 custom made
.40 cal southern mountain with swamped barrel
.62 Fusil de Chase (I hunt with this)
.75 Hudson bay fowler (I have Turkey hunted with this)

4 factory
.50 pedersoli kentucky (not really correct but shoots well)
.75 Indian 1st model bess
.75 Pedersoli 2nd model bess
.75 Miroku 1st model bess.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have several too all custom

40 cal  southern mountain rifle
20ga Smooth bore patterned after early trade guns
62 Cal early Virginia style Rifle
16ga smooth bore. Patterned as an early English game gun.Light,points naturally and is deadly on Deer and Turkey

The rifles have all taken deer and the smoothies have taken deer and Turkey along with other small game.

There is definitely a learning curve to Rock Locks with smoothbores producing the most challenge when shooting PRB.

It is enjoyable if you like the challenge,
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I have 3 custom made flintlocks 40, 50, and 62 caliber. My experience with factory made flintlocks if you're going to shoot them a lot the locks don't hold up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have several.

3 custom made
.40 cal southern mountain with swamped barrel
.62 Fusil de Chase (I hunt with this)
.75 Hudson bay fowler (I have Turkey hunted with this)

4 factory
.50 pedersoli kentucky (not really correct but shoots well)
.75 Indian 1st model bess
.75 Pedersoli 2nd model bess
.75 Miroku 1st model bess.

What is not correct about the 50 pedersoli kentucky?  I am in a learning curve here.
View Quote
What is not correct about the 50 pedersoli kentucky? I am in a learning curve here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/62446/IMG_0222_JPG-1181110.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/62446/IMG_0974_JPG-1181114.JPG
I have 3 custom made flintlocks 40, 50, and 62 caliber. My experience with factory made flintlocks if you're going to shoot them a lot the locks don't hold up.
View Quote
Its just the cost of the rifles. Now don't get me wrong they are beautiful guns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I had this made in 1981 , her name is Snipper .
I won the 1984 Colo. State Flintlock Championship with her . 36 Cal.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

If you buy one , leave the caplocks at home as it can be tempting to put the flinter down and grab the caplock .
IM me if you have any specific questions .
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Browse Gun Broker regularly.  It will give you a good idea of prices and models.

There is a lot of variation in what manufacturers call 'Hawken'.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
For a good middle of the road flinter, take a look at the Lyman Great Plains rifle in the 45/50 cal flintlocks version. Not a carbine style gun, yet not quite a full stocked "long rifle" design. Kinda like a a mix. Back in the day it was acceptable at Mountain Man Rendevous gatherings I attended. Excellent shooters, and a good place to start out. Last time I looked they were around $550-$650. They can be had in finished or kit form. I have had both.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/muzzle-loaders
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:27:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a .54cal Kibler Colonial that I bought.
I built a 20 bore English trade gun.

I have in the works;
A .50cal Lancaster style

In the planning/parts accumulating phase;
.50cal Kentucky pistol
.45cal Tennessee style
20 bore French Fusil de chasse
16 bore American fowler in the English style

In Percussion I have in the waiting until the mood is right phase:
Late style .54cal Hawken with 34" barrel
Hawken Pistol to match above

I also build my own horns, bags, measures and some bits an pieces when I feel the need for them

After handling originals and high quality remakes, those Italian copies are grotesque. It's like the difference between a supermodel and the fattest, ugliest girl in town, in both looks and cost.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Have plenty - most of them are Pedersoli
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What is not correct about the 50 pedersoli kentucky? I am in a learning curve here.
View Quote
Their Kentucky and Pennsylvania rifles (same thing but a longer barrel) are good quality, but they're just a generic 'long rifle', not really patterned after any historic examples. If you like them and you're just a shooter and not a re-enactor like me, then it doesn't matter. Buy one and have fun with it. But if you want to get into re-enacting, your gear needs to be historically correct, so Pedersoli wouldn't be a good choice. (This only applies to their long rifles. Their Hawkens and Civil War military muskets are more faithful copies of the real thing.)

My Ped. Pennsylvania is a great shooter.

Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#13]
All beautiful rifles. Eventually I will get one. I saw a brown bess that end being sold for a fair price. I just find these full stock
flintlocks to be beautiful rifles. What is neat every once in a while when doing background work for movies they do look for people with
black powder rifles. Civil war era has more opportunities than say war of 1812. Last month they did look for flintlocks for a slave revolt that happened in
Louisiana. In fact it was filmed in the same area where it happened. I am starting to get a period correct clothing for the late 1700 early 1800 era. I am doing the Battle of New Orleans on a cannon crew. Fun times working as a volunteer for the fed park service shooting black powder cannons.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]
A Brown Bess is actually a good learning gun . The flints are big and frizzens are good they usually spark very well .

The ball is not a tight fit so it will be able to be loaded even if it is fouled .

Once you get used to the flintlock thing , you can tune up your game and get a rifled gun .

Or just buy the rifle and learn it . Brown Besses can take a bayonet too , a long pointy one
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Untitled by Doug Hansen, on Flickr

.50 Cal 42" bbl "Iron Pennsylvania"

Ordered from here:

https://www.tvmnatchez.com/iron-pennsylvania-rifle
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Bess muh favorite too

(shorter ship's carbine here)

Revolution by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Love my flinters!!!  I have a 20 ga Fowler and a 20ga Trade Gun that have both killed turkeys, a 45 cal pistol, and this custom built .54 that I deer Hunt with.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#18]
There will be some " Okay Redcoats" at the Battle of NO so I do plan to talk to them about their brown bess muskets. Who knows I may be able
to find one for sale from their group .
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187526/8CB2A75E-7823-4964-A425-3088C7A61103_jpeg-1209645.JPG

Love my flinters!!!  I have a 20 ga Fowler and a 20ga Trade Gun that have both killed turkeys, a 45 cal pistol, and this custom built .54 that I deer Hunt with.
View Quote
Wow! Who built your rifle? What I can see looks very "Woodbury School." Is it a House gun? Regardless, looks very fine indeed!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow! Who built your rifle? What I can see looks very "Woodbury School." Is it a House gun? Regardless, looks very fine indeed!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187526/8CB2A75E-7823-4964-A425-3088C7A61103_jpeg-1209645.JPG

It is of the Woodbury school!  Mike Davis, Davis Longrifles built it for me a few yrs ago!!  He tutored under the House Bro’s!!!
And thank you!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I like to turkey hunt with them too!
Both are 20 ga.
Colonial Fowler with a 42” bbl, the other a Trade Gun with 36” bbl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top