Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2023 5:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44]
I’ve been looking at Honeywell and Sentry. I’m sure those are far from the best. I like the sizes of what they have. I just need a semi small container to put important documents in, then put that in my safe. I would like something with a very good fire rating though. A key lock is fine. Just something to hold it closed if there is a fire.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
A container that has an actual UL (Underwriter's Laboratory) document rating or better yet media rating is key. Manufactures rating and even ETL are not an equivalent to UL as recognized by the industry as a whole. I have been using Sentry document safes within my larger safes for critical document storage but there are other rated document safes that are as good or better. In your case, since security isn't an issue any rated safe would be a good option IMO.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I’ve seen that many of these containers are UL rated. I may just go with the Honeywell I’ve been looking at then.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been looking into this quite a bit. Nothing I can find by Honeywell is UL rated. Nothing small from Sentry has a rating of more than 30 minutes. I’m still looking for suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
id look at amsec  they did significant testing on their fireproofing
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#5]
What I did for paper documents:

Outer layer- Ft Knox gun safe
Layer 2- Fire resistant bag/sleeve made for documents.  
Layer 3- Turkey cooking plastic bag, to protect paper from the humidity released by gun safe fireproofing (drywall).  Also would help when the fire dept hoses everything down…

Substitute a small cheapo fire safe for the document sleeve for similar protection if you want.  A fire safe inside a fire safe basically.

I would use the plastic turkey bag regardless.  Soggy paper documents are not what I want after a fire.  

Not sure how much more you can do.  Obviously have digital copies as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top