Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2019 12:42:12 PM EDT
Is Berry’s still good to go or is there a better company?  I was looking at Xtreme but read some bad stuff about Freedom Munitions owning them now.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot a lot of Berry’s.  Been testing some of their hollow base .40 and those things have been the most accurate bullet ever.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Xtreme.

Plating is a little thicker then Berry's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Xtereme and Freedom Munitions have always been affiliated as far as I know, as in Freedom Munitions uses Xtreme projectiles and they may be owned by the same parent company. I won’t touch Freedom reloads, but Xtremes bullets are GTG. I’ve loaded thousands and thousands of them with no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Xtereme and Freedom Munitions have always been affiliated as far as I know, as in Freedom Munitions uses Xtreme projectiles and they may be owned by the same parent company. I won’t touch Freedom reloads, but Xtremes bullets are GTG. I’ve loaded thousands and thousands of them with no complaints.
View Quote
This. Never shot any Freedom Munitions but I have reloaded a bunch of Xtreme bullets. I'm happy with them, they have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I used Berry's for a long time.  Always worked well, except for some 40 cal that I tried to push to fast.  They were all over the place and frequently keyholed.  Once I backed the load down, they were fine.

I switched to coated lead about 5 years ago (mainly SNS, but also Missouri) because I found they were cheaper and I could push them just as fast.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't shoot plated any more.

Coated bullets much better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I've loaded a bunch of xtreme bullets in .38, .380 and .45 and never had an issue. Sign up for their emails and you can catch free shipping or 10-15% off depending on the time of year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Xtreme and RMR seem to be more shiny, and sometimes cheaper.

RMR recently had some killer deals on FMJ 230 gr hardball.  I bought 2K of them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Any particular reason you're looking at plated instead of coated lead?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
We load all of the plated bullets we use mildly so Berry's has been problem free.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any particular reason you're looking at plated instead of coated lead?
View Quote
Many of us have never used coated lead.  I used to use drylubed and moly coated lead, but plated is more better.

Is there a reason to use powder coated?  How much cheaper is it?  Can it be loaded to FMJ specs like the plated?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We load all of the plated bullets we use mildly so Berry's has been problem free.

Motor
View Quote
Berrys says right on their website they can be loaded to FMJ load specs.  I say this because your post suggests otherwise.  We need to stop that fake news.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I buy Extremes by the 4k and push them with full charges of True Blue or Power pistol for my AR9's.
View Quote
Same here. I've never had a problem pushing them with full charges.
I stopped buying them because I found actual jacketed bullets cheaper elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Berrys are fine, I've used a lot of them. Xtreme's work OK as well. But there are cheaper, better options for those who use (eg) 115gtr RN in 9mm.

Berrys cost $0.093ea for regular and $0.098ea for "thick plate". Precision Delta 115gr FMJRNs cost $0.083ea when buying 2k quantities . . . an 11% savings and equal or better performance.

I shoot indoors and I haven't seen any description or analysis of byproducts from shooting coated bullets, so for now they are off my list . . . my choice, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I've found either real jacketed or cast & coated shoot better

I gave up on plated a long time ago.

Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I shoot Berry's for the majority of plinking rounds
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Berrys are fine, I've used a lot of them. Xtreme's work OK as well. But there are cheaper, better options for those who use (eg) 115gtr RN in 9mm.

Berrys cost $0.093ea for regular and $0.098ea for "thick plate". Precision Delta 115gr FMJRNs cost $0.083ea when buying 2k quantities . . . an 11% savings and equal or better performance.

I shoot indoors and I haven't seen any description or analysis of byproducts from shooting coated bullets, so for now they are off my list . . . my choice, YMMV.
View Quote
Ive never paid that much for them. Last batch I bought was 147s for ~$75/k.

Their HBRNs are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#19]
IMO Xtreme's plating is harder than Berry's.
I've never shaved the plating off an Xtreme bullet seating the bullet, I have with Berry's.
Coated bullets are cheaper and use less powder to go the same speed as plated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Their HBRNs are awesome.
View Quote
Both prices were today's quotes off their web sites.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I started with Berry's, went to Xtreme, and now I support a top notch Florida company for almost all my reloading supplies. Everglades. I cant say enough good things about this company. Just checked, 9mm, 124gn PLRN, 1K for $84.00 (1200fps limit) and better savings on larger quantities. Lots of other choices there also. They always have sales going on during holidays and random ones if you are on the mailer, free shipping, and they ship fast. Dozens of orders, from brass, to bullets,  and Powder and never a single issue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I used X-terme for several years, in 9 MM, 10 MM and 45 ACP.  Really liked them and they shot well.  Their shipping was very good but that changed about 4 months ago.  Their shipping to Alaska was more then the cost of the bullets.  Switched to RMR bullets, which will ship in flat rate boxes.  I can live with that cost.  Being that in that winter time I shoot 300-500 rounds a week, the shipping cost meant a lot. Several shooters at the range used coated bullets from one vendor or another.  They have also been happy with them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I started with Berry's, went to Xtreme, and now I support a top notch Florida company for almost all my reloading supplies. Everglades. I cant say enough good things about this company. Just checked, 9mm, 124gn PLRN, 1K for $84.00 (1200fps limit) and better savings on larger quantities. Lots of other choices there also. They always have sales going on during holidays and random ones if you are on the mailer, free shipping, and they ship fast. Dozens of orders, from brass, to bullets,  and Powder and never a single issue.
View Quote
This is who I was referring to in my reply.. for the money, I just can't see paying for Berry's.

Also, someone said something about shaving Berry's during seating, that was exactly my problem when I use them. In fact, I've got about 200 left and about 1 in 5 will shave some off when seating.
So much so, I thought it was me and I missed a step in brass prep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:48:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their HBRNs are awesome.
Never buy Berry’s bullets direct from them unless they’re discounted. Always get them from a reseller, they’re almost always significantly cheaper.

The only things I’ve bought directly from them were billed bulked Barnes bullets and their ammo cans/boxes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Acme coated, i like the little fitted wooden box, one will hold my ashes some day. When I load handgun anymore. Plated never did like them .
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm another reloader who has sworn off plated bullets.

Too problematic with worries of cutting through plating,

running too hot and peeling plating off.

Powder coated in 9mm, 45ACP, 10mm, and 44 Magnum gave better overall performance.

Besides, why buy naturally inferior plated bullets when quality jacketed are available for close to same price?

Zero Bullets from Roze Distribution are far superior to any plated bullet, only a few dollars more, and free shipping on orders of 1K or more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Berrys says right on their website they can be loaded to FMJ load specs.  I say this because your post suggests otherwise.  We need to stop that fake news.
View Quote
Sorry. My post was not meant to suggest that you couldn't load them hotter it's just how we use them.

To answer another question:

In pistol calibers which include all the most popular, I wouldn't have any hesitation loading my powder coated bullets to factory FMJ spec. In fact I have loaded some without gas checks well into jacketed magnum range without any problems.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Bulk Xtreme and Everglades (3000ct 147gr) are the same price at both.  I keep buying Xtreme since I’ve been a long time customer.  If something happens I’ll switch Everglades
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve used xtreme, Berry’s, and RMR plated but now that RMR FMJ are about the same price as plated, I just buy FMJ. Specifically talking about 147gr 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Xtreme.

Plating is a little thicker then Berry's.
View Quote
I have found this out also, Extreme all the way
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Many of us have never used coated lead.  I used to use drylubed and moly coated lead, but plated is more better.

Is there a reason to use powder coated?  How much cheaper is it?  Can it be loaded to FMJ specs like the plated?
View Quote
To me, "how much cheaper" is a matter of volume.  If you shoot 30K a year, then I would say a lot.

I've shot plenty of plated bullets.  To me, coated lead is cheaper, more accuate/dependable, and less finicky to load.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#33]
At one time I used Rocky Mountain Reloading 147's until they stop carrying them.  Had to switch to coated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a buttload of .32 Auto 71gr plated from Berry's.  The .32 is a mild cartridge to begin with - my first time shooting my 1916-built Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless it was like dry firing.  So with this round soft lead cores aren't a problem, and Berry's is fine.

If you're trying to get high velocities, plated may be an issue.  Depending on who you ask, you may need to load "Brand A" plated bullets much lighter than the data for jacketed bullets of the same weight, or "about the same," or "as hot as you like."  There just is not enough well developed data about how hot you really can push each brand's plated bullets.

Coated bullets have a lot more available data, both from manufacturers and individual shooters.  Depending on the coating, you may be able to load certain coated bullets at high magnum velocities.  I've read about coated .357 loads that exceeded 1400 fps with 158 grain bullets, which is right up there with what Elmer Kieth was getting with 6+" barrels and super-hard cast bullets.

I think it comes down to your application.  If you want jacketed velocities, find out which brand of plated bullets people are reporting success with using jacketed data.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Acme coated, i like the little fitted wooden box, one will hold my ashes some day. When I load handgun anymore. Plated never did like them .
View Quote
@dennyd

I've been looking at them and ready to make the change from plated.  Which ones do you use.  I'd be looking at 147gr RN 9mm.

ETA:  What's their shipping like?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:56:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I've really come to hate plated bullets. I have a bunch of Berry's and Xtreme bullets that I bought a long time ago, and I'm still shooting through them. I can't wait until they are gone. I won't be buying more.

I've yet to find an accurate load with the Berry's. They just shoot like absolute crap for me. To get them to shoot even halfway acceptable I have to load them so light that they won't cycle reliably in one of my guns. A coworker that's a big time reloader and competitive shooter was telling me of his similar experiences. He gave up on them.

When you can buy RMR FMJ bullets for less money, or Precision Delta FMJ bullets for a similar amount, I find no reason to shoot that crap.

The Xtreme bullets I've been using are 45 bullets. They are so slow they seem to be accurate enough. Although I've been having the shaving problems mentioned above. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I'm starting to think it's the bullets.

I also have some Xtreme 44 bullets, and accuracy is only so so with those too. You have to crimp them (not just remove the flair), or else they'll walk out of the case when shooting and lock up the gun. If you crimp them enough to hold them, it deforms the super soft lead and makes them shoot like crap. Again an issue you don't have with FMJ.

So my advice is to just skip the plated bullets and go with FMJ from one of the affordable sources.

If you want to save a little bit of money, coated bullets also seem to work better than plated, but my experience with them has been limited so far.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've really come to hate plated bullets. I have a bunch of Berry's and Xtreme bullets that I bought a long time ago, and I'm still shooting through them. I can't wait until they are gone. I won't be buying more.

I've yet to find an accurate load with the Berry's. They just shoot like absolute crap for me. To get them to shoot even halfway acceptable I have to load them so light that they won't cycle reliably in one of my guns. A coworker that's a big time reloader and competitive shooter was telling me of his similar experiences. He gave up on them.

When you can buy RMR FMJ bullets for less money, or Precision Delta FMJ bullets for a similar amount, I find no reason to shoot that crap.

The Xtreme bullets I've been using are 45 bullets. They are so slow they seem to be accurate enough. Although I've been having the shaving problems mentioned above. I thought I was doing something wrong, but I'm starting to think it's the bullets.

I also have some Xtreme 44 bullets, and accuracy is only so so with those too. You have to crimp them (not just remove the flair), or else they'll walk out of the case when shooting and lock up the gun. If you crimp them enough to hold them, it deforms the super soft lead and makes them shoot like crap. Again an issue you don't have with FMJ.

So my advice is to just skip the plated bullets and go with FMJ from one of the affordable sources.

If you want to save a little bit of money, coated bullets also seem to work better than plated, but my experience with them has been limited so far.
View Quote
I realize it’s a sample size of one on each side of this but I use 45 and 9mm plated bullets without shaving problems, so I’m inclined to think it’s NOT the bullets.  It’s likely something else in the process.

And for those of you shooting coated bullets: how do they perform in suppressed applications?  That’s why I went with plated: FMJs were too expensive to shoot in bulk when I got my pistol cans and lead wasn’t an option, and powder coat wasn’t really that popular
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I realize it’s a sample size of one on each side of this but I use 45 and 9mm plated bullets without shaving problems, so I’m inclined to think it’s NOT the bullets.  It’s likely something else in the process.
View Quote
I've never had a problem with shaving Xtreme bullets, either. 9mm, .40, .45, I've loaded thousands of each with no issues.

I'm pretty well stocked for pistol projectiles at the moment and have been doing a lot more rifle than pistol shooting lately, anyway, but I may look into coated when it comes time to stock up again. They look cool and if they're cheaper, why not...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR Bullets).
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@dennyd

I've been looking at them and ready to make the change from plated.  Which ones do you use.  I'd be looking at 147gr RN 9mm.

ETA:  What's their shipping like?
View Quote
122 gr FP, lipstick bullets, they shoot awesome out my Browning HP with a bit of Bullseye.

I was and am happy with their shipping, fast and on the ball. Might be the best coated bullet I've seen or loaded, never had any shaving problems, hard & no leading.

You will like them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Rocky Mountain Reloading (RMR Bullets).
View Quote
It's hard to beat RMR's plated bullets, but their new (in-house made) jacketed bullets are often so close in price that I go with the jacketed choice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I load X-treme's by the 1000's in 9mm, I haven't had any shaving (Dillon 550, enough bell), and the bullet accuracy has worked great for my purposes....steel.  They offer 0.355 and 0.356 in 9mm, which is nice.   Reloads more accurate than store bought FMJ by quite a margin, but that's pretty common (True Blue = thanks flash).

That typed, I bought the X-tremes cheap and stacked them deep during their deep discount sales they used to have twice a year or so.

Bulk shipping in flat rates, 3000 pieces on up depending on bullet weight

Shipping used to take a while (sometimes over a month) after these sales.

I just checked their website.....prices are >20% higher than they used to be.  Given that, I will have to shop to see if their pricing is competitive next time.   Will consider a new supplier, not due to performance, but due to price.

Good bullets though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#43]
RMR FMJs are my preferred
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#44]
RMR FMJs are an excellent bullet and the price is as good or better than just about anybody else's plated or FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm another reloader who has sworn off plated bullets.

Too problematic with worries of cutting through plating,

running too hot and peeling plating off.

Powder coated in 9mm, 45ACP, 10mm, and 44 Magnum gave better overall performance.

Besides, why buy naturally inferior plated bullets when quality jacketed are available for close to same price?

Zero Bullets from Roze Distribution are far superior to any plated bullet, only a few dollars more, and free shipping on orders of 1K or more.
View Quote
This...

Zero bullets are very hard to beat and cheap enough if bought in bulk.

If I do buy plated in 9mm they are GD bullets bought in bulk as well when I catch them at clearance prices...

Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#46]
use Berry's sometimes, but prefer Rainier for plated. I'm definitely looking into RMR jacketed now though
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#47]
For plated I have been using xtreme 147 gr since about '13?  I started with the RN then went HP when they were released.  I used to use Berry's, but I remember being able to get the same accuracy with Xtreme for cheaper.  I have also begged RMR for a 147 gr version of their MPR, but it's not happening any time soon.
Once I graduate college my shooting is going to grow exponentially and I am currently pricing out Hi-Tek type bullets and other plated.  I will try to stick with Xtreme but saving $20 a case and shooting cases a year will add up.  I will be ordering sample packs probably next year for load development as I burn through my 8,000 xtreme bullets. I guess what I am trying to say is, depending on how much you shoot, coated might be just as good and cheaper.

Side note, I just ordered another 3,000 from Xtreme as they are running a 10% off sale, they shipped quicker than pretty much any time I can remember.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#48]
RMR is my go to Guy!
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#49]
It seems like there are so many more choices all of a sudden with good prices.  And here I sit with about 10000 rounds of old Berrys plated in my stocks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It seems like there are so many more choices all of a sudden with good prices.  And here I sit with about 10000 rounds of old Berrys plated in my stocks.
View Quote
No worries earp ..... now is the time to buy it cheaper and stack it deeper, this too shall pass, unfortunately, count on it.  (And if I am wrong, that works too, I hope I am wrong, but I'm not)    Keep a minimum of 5 year inventory topped off at these prices, minimum.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top