Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2019 8:50:33 PM EDT
I was just wondering.  Who wears eye pro when using night vision?

Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I never do but it’s just me and my old lady. And we’re smart enough not to shine lasers or shoot at each other. Unless I piss her off
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I answered never, because at this point I have given up on it. I've tried a number of different glasses and there is just not enough room between my face and the PVS14 even with it adjusted all the way out. We do a lot of simunitions training and a few times I've removed an eye lens from my glasses on the PVS14 side. Definitely something I worry about and have had a couple close calls with sim rounds to the face.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I never wear eye pro when using my PVS-14.
I don't always wear eye pro when shooting in the daytime either, but fortunately I had it on the time I needed it, which was a suppressed Mark 23 kB due to bad factory ammo (case web blowout).

Full face mask for Simunitions though. Always.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My daily wear eyeglasses are Z87 rated safety glasses, so for me it's 100% all the time every time
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I wear eyes & ears 100% of the time I shoot, day or night.

If i'm just enjoying some stargazing or on a night hike, I'm probably not wearing eye protection at all.

If IR lasers are in use, I wear the protective laser lens.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:09:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You know, I never thought about it before.. but can you wear RX glasses with night vision? How does that work? Always wanted NV but somehow it never dawned on my my glasses would be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wear prescription lenses every time I use NV. It works fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know, I never thought about it before.. but can you wear RX glasses with night vision? How does that work? Always wanted NV but somehow it never dawned on my my glasses would be a problem.
I wear glasses with my NV. No problems.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there a preferred ir rated safety glasses?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is there a preferred ir rated safety glasses?
View Quote
i generally use either the oakley si ballistic m-frames, with clear lens.  or smith regulator goggles.

the goggles fog more than the oakleys.  but...cat crap for the win.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you talking shooting under NODs or just tooling about in the woods?  No to the latter, never done the former.  Wait, not accurate.  I've fired exactly two rounds under NODs.  No eye pro other than the binos themselves, but also not really a situation where flying debris was even possible.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alternatively you can adjust the diopter to focus for your eyes sans glasses, assuming they aren't TOO bad.  Then of course you have the problem of not being able to see when NOT looking through the NVG.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I answered never, because at this point I have given up on it. I've tried a number of different glasses and there is just not enough room between my face and the PVS14 even with it adjusted all the way out. We do a lot of simunitions training and a few times I've removed an eye lens from my glasses on the PVS14 side. Definitely something I worry about and have had a couple close calls with sim rounds to the face.
View Quote
PVS18 for the win.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I try to. regular shooting glasses, not the laser laser safety glasses(although i may give those a shot) but its usually so humid here in GA. its just another lens to fog up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I never wear them with NV
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
ESS glasses with prescription lenses
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's a quick and dirty review of the Oakley SI Laser Toric lenses in an M-Frame 3.0. It's my night eye pro when the situation warrants it. Specs are in the video description.

Oakley Laser Toric Lens Review
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Every time, no exceptions.

I'm not worried about lasers, I'm worried about getting a stick poked into my non-NV eye.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are you talking shooting under NODs or just tooling about in the woods?  No to the latter, never done the former.  Wait, not accurate.  I've fired exactly two rounds under NODs.  No eye pro other than the binos themselves, but also not really a situation where flying debris was even possible.
View Quote
Yeah I mean guns never blow up or anything.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top