Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2018 11:06:26 PM EDT
I've been asking around here trying to find a QD flash hider as part of the planning for when my form 1 comes back. I recently looked at the Griffin taper mounts and need to make a choice but have questions.

I'm looking at this Griffin Armament Taper Mount Flash Compensator. I owned one other rifle that had a muzzle break on it and know that the last thing I want is to put a muzzle break on a short barrel rifle. Is this muzzle device https://modernwarriors.com/product/griffin-armament-taper-mount-flash-compensator/?add-to-cart=8552 going to act more like a flash hider, or more like a muzzle break where noise is enhanced and gas and pressure get kicked in my face and ears?

I'm also looking at the Griffin Armament http://www.capitolarmory.com/griffin-taper-mount-flash-suppressor.html flash suppressor. I like the look of the first muzzle device better, but I really want to avoid uncomfortable shooting. The wife will be shooting this as well and I don't want her to be put off my the gas and dirt (when shooting prone) kicked in her face.

My understanding is that both will fit in a DM QD taper mount for the SICO tube.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not just get a brake for a sacrificial baffle and leave the can on?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not just get a brake for a sacrificial baffle and leave the can on?
View Quote
Mostly because I planned on using the SBR to teach my daughter to shoot when not using a .22 and my wife will shoot it too. I'm sure both will not want to shoot suppressed all the time and I'm looking for options to keep it comfortable. And honestly, I probably won't carry it suppressed when hiking around the woods and four wheeling. I just remember how much I hated shooting with that break before and do not want that expeience again. Especially on a device that I would be paying over $100 for.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Griffin Hammer comp on my MCX SBR. Its by far the best comp I've ever shot.
On my 11.5" barrel it makes full power 5.56 loads feel about like a 22mag, It doesn't have much flash to it but I think the flash comp would be a little "less bright". But it isn't bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a flash comp on my 11.5" 5.56 SBR and it's loud. But that goes without saying, an 11.5 is going to be loud regardless. It does do an excellent job at controlling muzzle rise as well as flash reduction. That was a Gen1 flash comp that has all the small holes on it. I have a new Gen2 flash comp sitting on my rack that is modeled after the hammer comp which I may try it out soon. Currently I'm using a minimalist brake just to shorten the OAL.  I have a the full size 3 prong flash hider sitting on my bench that I pulled off my 18" SPR, never tried it on my SBR though. If you're interested in the flash hider shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Apparently it sits somewhere between the muzzle brake and flash hider but less than the old flash comp with holes My griffin muzzle brake is hella loud on a 10.5. My old 14.5 with a flash comp was pretty concussive too but not like the brake.

The newest gen is probably a good compromise.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the single chamber (.308 bolt), dual chamber Paladin (8" 300BLK), hammer comp (11.5"), and flash comp (14.5"x2, and your link), and will say that all act like a brake as far as sound pressure is concerned. SBR's are never really kind to the ears.  I recommend leaving the can on.

My 11.5" w/ hammer comp
Griffin Paladin on 11.5" SBR suppressed vs unsuppressed
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the single chamber (.308 bolt), dual chamber Paladin (8" 300BLK), hammer comp (11.5"), and flash comp (14.5"x2, and your link), and will say that all act like a brake as far as sound pressure is concerned. SBR's are never really kind to the ears.  I recommend leaving the can on.

My 11.5" w/ hammer comp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLSgZMha9h0
View Quote
Lol the microphone is underestimating the sound levels
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol the microphone is underestimating the sound levels
View Quote
Just turn your volume all the way up, and make sure your high end surround sound is turned on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got a Recce 5 waiting for me. I plan on using the minimalist flash hider and will probably grab one of these eventually.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/Griffin-Armament-Taper-Mount-Blast-Shield-p/gatmbs.htm
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#10]
The one time I used my upper before the can got approved it acted more like a break, pretty lastly but does exactly what it should - had 0 recoil
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Gen 1 Flash comp (has holes instead of slots) on my 11.5" SBR.  Honestly, I didn't notice any difference from the A2 since I never shoot that gun without earpro.  It's WAY too loud even with a suppressor.

I like it just fine though.  Seems to do it's job and my Recce 7 mounts to it and doesn't come loose.  It's a little heavy compared to the A2 but any qd mount will be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top