Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 33
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last time I looked it was around 1.5 pounds difference between the two.
View Quote
That's about right.  The balance is a big factor as well.  Mag in the grip makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

As someone who is considering either an TP9 or MP5k This is an awesome amount of information, thank you.

I'm curious what the weight difference is between the TP9 and MP5k is, like 1 or 2 pounds?
View Quote
If your only doing one it would be a big mistake to do the TP9 IMO.  Just from a shootability/enjoyment standpoint.  The MP5 is the one gun I could spend all day shooting.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The last time I looked it was around 1.5 pounds difference between the two.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you all of the info, I think I’m leaning towards mp5k
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I emailed custom smith about a "gas buster" type charging handle and he is going to try and make one.  I really enjoy the gun unsuppressed but the gas/noise blowback really kills the experience for me suppressed.  It shouldn't be that hard to fix given that the biggest problem is the AR type handle at the back.

I'll be curious to see what comes of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I emailed custom smith about a "gas buster" type charging handle and he is going to try and make one.  I really enjoy the gun unsuppressed but the gas/noise blowback really kills the experience for me suppressed.  It shouldn't be that hard to fix given that the biggest problem is the AR type handle at the back.

View Quote
This surprises me, my TP9 is the least gassy gun I've ever shot suppressed. Have you tried different ammo?
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This surprises me, my TP9 is the least gassy gun I've ever shot suppressed. Have you tried different ammo?
View Quote
yes several.  How many guns have you shot suppressed, I can understand a different experience but least gassy gun lol?  This is gassy and loud, particularly for a gun with a proprietary can.  IMO it's a great gun, but the can is kind of a turkey.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I think this was posted somewhere in the thread but rather than dig through it all I'm gonna ARFCOM this bitch and I'll just post anyway...

There are two different charging handles for the TP9, the older smaller one that came with the first and second gen guns and the newer larger one that I believe comes with the newest guns. The newer model is sold as a "big latch", and it has an enclosed back-turned section at the rear that makes a slight difference in blowback through the charging handle opening.

When I got my can I only had the older gen 1 small handle and I noticed a LOT of blowback through the charging handle hole, but switching out to the new big latch has reduced it enough that it is noticeably less.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is a latest gen N.   With the big latch.  I'm thinking about putting some silicone on the back or something.  That and a brass catcher might make it more impressive.

Still a loud host compared to my MP5K among others.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
yes several.  How many guns have you shot suppressed, I can understand a different experience but least gassy gun lol?  This is gassy and loud, particularly for a gun with a proprietary can.  IMO it's a great gun, but the can is kind of a turkey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve had the exact opposite experience with my TP9. I’ll echo the other respondent and say this is the absolute least gassy gun I’ve ever shot (semi auto) and the quietest aside from 22lr stuff I own.

Something is wrong with your situation... I’m curious what’s going on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've had the exact opposite experience with my TP9. I'll echo the other respondent and say this is the absolute least gassy gun I've ever shot (semi auto) and the quietest aside from 22lr stuff I own.

Something is wrong with your situation... I'm curious what's going on.
View Quote
Again, what do you actually own to compare it to? Compared to any of my MP5's its loud and gassy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well let's see, I have 3 ARs suppressed, 2 that are 10.5 barrel, one that's 16 inch barrel. I have a CZ scorpion suppressed with dead air Wolfman on it, I have two m&p 15-22's that are suppressed, a sig mpx suppressed , several hand guns suppressed, and then the TP9 suppressed. I've shot plenty of mp5's suppressed, b&t apc9 and ghm9 suppressed, and 1 AK suppressed. I'll say it again, my TP9 is the least gassy gun I've shot. Maybe it's the brass catcher I have on it that's helping the situation but even before I had the brass catcher it was still very pleasant to shoot. I shoot PPU 158gr ammo through it.

And as far as how quiet it is, the only thing more quiet then my TP9 is the mp5's I've shot. And it was really close at that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’ve had the exact opposite experience with my TP9. I’ll echo the other respondent and say this is the absolute least gassy gun I’ve ever shot (semi auto) and the quietest aside from 22lr stuff I own.

Something is wrong with your situation... I’m curious what’s going on.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I shoot PPU 158gr ammo through it.
View Quote
I've put that through it.  Maybe I'll try the brass catcher, but in no way do I believe the MP5 or even the junky scorpion are more gassy than your tp9.  There is a big ole port right in the back of the TP9.

Gotta love the B&T die hards...
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've put that through it.  Maybe I'll try the brass catcher, but in no way do I believe the MP5 or even the junky scorpion are more gassy than your tp9.  There is a big ole port right in the back of the TP9.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot PPU 158gr ammo through it.

Lol ok, you've had three people tell you the same thing and still think we are all lying to you? What on Earth would I have to gain out of lying to a complete stranger on the internet? Have fun with your "gassy" TP9. Sounds like you got a lemon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gas and noise? You are the first owner that I have heard complain about that. Written reviews and YT reviews show how pleasant it is to shoot suppressed. Watch the MAC review video. Not sure what you have going on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol ok, you've had three people tell you the same thing and still think we are all lying to you? What on Earth would I have to gain out of lying to a complete stranger on the internet? Have fun with your "gassy" TP9. Sounds like you got a lemon
View Quote
You can literally see the gas in your own video and it's about on par with mine.  If that's the least gassy host you have tried you should shoot more guns.

I don't think you're lying, I just think that a lot of guys 1) haven't had much experience with multiple suppressed hosts (particularly PCCs, sounds like you only own a scorpion) and/or 2) don't want to admit when they spend $3,000 on a toy it's maybe not the greatest thing ever.

It's a great gun and I am glad I own it, as a suppressor host it's not my top choice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Again, what do you actually own to compare it to? Compared to any of my MP5's its loud and gassy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had the exact opposite experience with my TP9. I'll echo the other respondent and say this is the absolute least gassy gun I've ever shot (semi auto) and the quietest aside from 22lr stuff I own.

Something is wrong with your situation... I'm curious what's going on.
Well, I have (8) suppressors in various calibers and a variety of handguns, rifles and SBRs. I’ve owned a Ralph Smith reverse stretch and a GHM9, both fired suppressed extensively. While the MP5 type build was fantastic and nothing beats a roller delayed action recoil impulse, I ultimately sold it. The TP9 has been much more pleasant to shoot suppressed than the GHM9. These are just my experiences.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can literally see the gas in your own video and it's about on par with mine.  If that's the least gassy host you have tried you should shoot more guns.

I don't think you're lying, I just think that a lot of guys 1) haven't had much experience with multiple suppressed hosts (particularly PCCs, sounds like you only own a scorpion) and/or 2) don't want to admit when they spend $3,000 on a toy it's maybe not the greatest thing ever.

It's a great gun and I am glad I own it, as a suppressor host it's not my top choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHSjEA_eOA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol ok, you've had three people tell you the same thing and still think we are all lying to you? What on Earth would I have to gain out of lying to a complete stranger on the internet? Have fun with your "gassy" TP9. Sounds like you got a lemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHSjEA_eOA
Yes you can see the gas, I never said there's no gas. The gas is going over my hat bill or to the right of me. No gas to the face, that's what matters to me. Plus those were 147gr Lawman rounds. Very dirty round. I don't shoot those anymore. While you were investigating my social media accounts did you find the video with the brass catcher installed? Not sure how I'm a b&t diehard because I own ONE of their products ?? but whatever. Keep on sucking H&K's nuts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no B&T superiority complex or anything such. I just thought the TP9 was cool and that’s why I bought it. I’m desperately hoping I get to snag one of the SP5s shortly. In fact, if I were extremely wealthy, I’d have a plethora of PCCs.

With that said, in my sample size of (1), the TP9 has been pretty fun to shoot. Well, I did shoot another members a couple years ago and that’s what introduced me to them. Purchased for pure cool factor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#20]
nvm. Off track of the discussion.
I gotta stop staying up so late.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#21]
While in this specific thread I will defend TP9, I know it's not the end all be all.

I have had a GHM9, APC9, TP9, P26, Smith Reverse Stretch MP5.

I've never bene a fan of HK triggers, they don't feel right to me. I'm a huge fan of any decent AR-5 2-stage trigger, so you know where i'm coming from.

I'll probably regret selling the GHM9, no gas issues, pleasant recoil, quiet enough for me. I consolidated PCCs and went the with the TP9 for size, as a previous poster has said a a glock does everything it can do, but it's purpose built for a stock and fore grip and glock is not, you can put it in a chassis it wasn't made for and it will perform but it seems a lot like dressing something to do what it isn't meant for.

A TP9 is what it is, if it's gassy so what; the recoil is a bit more noticeable than the GHM9 or APC. I enjoy the gun, everything it's doing feels right for me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#22]
My TP9 is my most gassy suppressor host. I wonder what ammo are you guys using? I typically use speer lawman 147s.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My TP9 is my most gassy suppressor host. I wonder what ammo are you guys using? I typically use speer lawman 147s.
View Quote
Lawman tends to be a hot round with a lot of gas.  Another poster suggested PPU 158, and I concur. It's noticeably less gassy than Speer, still not great.

This gun has real issues with back pressure, anyone who tells you differently is flat out wrong.  Of all B&Ts subguns, this is the only one they have had to design a specific suppressor around.  That's called a clue.  The purpose built can works, but is gassy.

Back when DSA was the importer and you could not get the purpose built suppressor there were guys trying to adapt standard 9mm cans, and it would destroy the gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:25:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lawman tends to be a hot round with a lot of gas.  Another poster suggested PPU 158, and I concur. It's noticeably less gassy than Speer, still not great.

This gun has real issues with back pressure, anyone who tells you differently is flat out wrong.  Of all B&Ts subguns, this is the only one they have had to design a specific suppressor around.  That's called a clue.  The purpose built can works, but is gassy.

Back when DSA was the importer and you could not get the purpose built suppressor there were guys trying to adapt standard 9mm cans, and it would destroy the gun.
View Quote
Lawman is awesome in all my hosts other than my TP9. My suppressed MPX has no gas at all running lawman. I have some American Eagle 147s I could try. Not sure if I trust PPU 158 in a $3k firearm, but I have some and could certainly try it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Question:

I haven’t tried or looked so I Apologize but on the TP9’s are we able to put a picatinny rail on both sides of the gun?  I know it comes with one on the right side but possible on the left?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Question:

I haven’t tried or looked so I Apologize but on the TP9’s are we able to put a picatinny rail on both sides of the gun?  I know it comes with one on the right side but possible on the left?
View Quote
Yes, I’ve had a spare rail and upper sitting on my bench for a few weeks, I just haven’t taken the plunge. The right side rail is rivetted on I would like to acquire some factory rivets. It’s probably possible to thread it or insert a metal threaded insert from the inside.

In short I haven’t decided how to attach the extra rail. You can buy them at HK Parts. You also have to consider adding it makes the pistol incompatible with the B&T holster, which is why I opted to but a second upper.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like Custom Smith is making a new upper for the TP9 - might meet your needs?

https://www.instagram.com/customsmithmfg/
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like Custom Smith is making a new upper for the TP9 - might meet your needs?

View Quote
Interesting but it looks like it adds a lot of height assuming to work as a built in riser mount? Major changes I see of side chargeing, multiple stock options, an extra rail and tall rail. Price point will depend weather I try one or not, If it provides that with the same size/form factor i’d probably be more inclined.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Interesting but it looks like it adds a lot of height assuming to work as a built in riser mount? Major changes I see of side chargeing, multiple stock options, an extra rail and tall rail. Price point will depend weather I try one or not, If it provides that with the same size/form factor i’d probably be more inclined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3D printed?
I’ll wait for the aluminum version.
B&T has a second gen MP9 upper but hasn’t released it. Their v 1.5 has taller iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

3D printed?
I’ll wait for the aluminum version.
B&T has a second gen MP9 upper but hasn’t released it. Their v 1.5 has taller iron sights.
View Quote
Any more info on this? Any pics of the new upper?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I don’t see the point in iron sights unless they are going to make them really nice, and bomb proof or replaceable. You could just add flip ups, they took the built in sights off the APC pro models.

My SRO is placed at a perfect height on the rail, so it seems like a solution looking for a problem. I guess it could help with gas blowback.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#32]
So I have a dumb guy question. Can you run a non-B&T suppressor on this? Does the muzzle device come off?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So I have a dumb guy question. Can you run a non-B&T suppressor on this? Does the muzzle device come off?
View Quote
Muzzle device does not come off.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, I’ve had a spare rail and upper sitting on my bench for a few weeks, I just haven’t taken the plunge. The right side rail is rivetted on I would like to acquire some factory rivets. It’s probably possible to thread it or insert a metal threaded insert from the inside.

In short I haven’t decided how to attach the extra rail. You can buy them at HK Parts. You also have to consider adding it makes the pistol incompatible with the B&T holster, which is why I opted to but a second upper.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/105507/8647BF6E-8E54-476A-985C-DC394690F797_jpe-1253292.JPG
View Quote
I have added many rails to both sides of the upper on the TP9s that didn't come with the rails. Simply using 2 small bolts and nylon lock nuts. Feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] if you have any questions about the process.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I came across one for sale for $900. On gunbroker they're all upwards of $1200. It looks to be in great shape. I might need to grab it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have added many rails to both sides of the upper on the TP9s that didn't come with the rails. Simply using 2 small bolts and nylon lock nuts. Feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] if you have any questions about the process.
View Quote
The early MP9 marked covers have the rails bolted on like that.  You’ll be GTG.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless it's a high volume subgun can the gun has a habit of beating itself to death.  So most cans are a no go.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#38]
This question is most relevant to TP9 so I thought I’d ask here.

Has anyone else looked at the CP33 as an available range toy substitute to the TP380?

I’d be interested in the possibility of gutting a CP33 to make a .22 conversion for the TP9.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#39]
https://customsmithmfg.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fcsm-tp9-sc-side-charger-replacement-top-cover

I think this was mentioned earlier in this thread. Anyone have one yet? The side charger and left side rail sounds like great improvements but I’m really interested in the fit and finish as well as how easy it is to swap components.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://customsmithmfg.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fcsm-tp9-sc-side-charger-replacement-top-cover

I think this was mentioned earlier in this thread. Anyone have one yet? The side charger and left side rail sounds like great improvements but I’m really interested in the fit and finish as well as how easy it is to swap components.
View Quote
I got mine in yesterday, shot it today. Ran perfect ??. Fit and finish are very good. If you have a TP9 brass catcher make sure you mention that when you order it, the first one I got wasn't compatible with the brass catcher, he redesigned the right side pic rail and sent me the new one and it now works fine. Not sure if all the ones he is sending out now are the redesigned one or not, but thought I'd mention it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don’t see the point in iron sights unless they are going to make them really nice, and bomb proof or replaceable. You could just add flip ups, they took the built in sights off the APC pro models.

My SRO is placed at a perfect height on the rail, so it seems like a solution looking for a problem. I guess it could help with gas blowback.
View Quote
Those ultra small High Tower pads that let you put Glock sites on picatinny always seemed like a perfect match for PDWs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Whew! Just binge-read the whole thread - picked up an SPP (waiting on arrival) planning to SBR and add the TechSmith/HalfNattyGainz VFG.  Really appreciate the pics posted years back during the development showing where the screws should go!

Does anyone have the PDF manual collection (most particularly the armorer's manual) that could send it to me?  I reached out to the original poster but his computer died so he wasn't able to access them...

TIA!
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
First prototype aluminum frame is being milled. Once I ensure the dimensions, fit, and function are acceptable I will incorporate the HK-style selectors and an integrated foregrip for those wishing to have a frame with a bit more longevity.

Stay tuned :)
View Quote
@KiloBravo93 did this project ever come to anything?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have obviously given up on the platform and have some resentment based on the money you invested.

I’m being 100% serious and respectful when I say you should reach out to Karl and air your issues with the system. He personally sent me an owners manual and a nice email when DS Arms refused to provide me with an owners manual back in 2009 for my new TP9.

https://www.bt-ag.ch/site/eng/kontakt/kontaktformular

I’ve done everything I can to be a proponent of the platform since they were first introduced and before braces were a thing. I am biased. It’s a good platform for what it is, IMHO and its very unfortunate you’re experience has been bad.

B&T has a new topcover that was featured in a British magazine. That article was on their site. My entire library of TMP/MP9 files is inaccessible so I can’t pull a picture for you.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@KiloBravo93 did this project ever come to anything?
View Quote
No, decided to focus on the PP-19 Bizon for now. I may make the file public for anyone to work on
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Just a heads up if anyone needs a copy of the Armorer's Manual I have one, just send me a PM with your email.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You have obviously given up on the platform and have some resentment based on the money you invested.

I’m being 100% serious and respectful when I say you should reach out to Karl and air your issues with the system. He personally sent me an owners manual and a nice email when DS Arms refused to provide me with an owners manual back in 2009 for my new TP9.

I’ve done everything I can to be a proponent of the platform since they were first introduced and before braces were a thing. I am biased. It’s a good platform for what it is, IMHO and its very unfortunate you’re experience has been bad.

B&T has a new topcover that was featured in a British magazine. That article was on their site. My entire library of TMP/MP9 files is inaccessible so I can’t pull a picture for you.
View Quote
Is there a link to that top cover online?  I’d like to see what that looks like.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do appreciate this. What the synopsis of changes to the top cover... as of about when were changes made?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I apologize these are NOT images of the top cover I was referencing. These are “3rd Gen” suppressor ready top covers with elevated sites and what looks like the standard charging handle chopped and attached to the 2nd Gen charging handle. These came from a UK Print mag.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got my Alpine green TP9 before the Flugaloo kicked off. Been thinking of setting it up a few different ways. Super excited I finally picked one up.
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top