Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2021 9:56:06 AM EDT
Im having trouble finding a company who will anodize 2 rifles OD Green.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! I will try them!
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried US Anodizing?

http://www.usanodizing.com/index.htm

View Quote

When is the last time you had work done by him?  He pretty much stopped taking individual jobs probably 5 years back.  Maybe you have a different t experience?  

FWIW, I have not heard of good work outside of black or gray being done by anyone who accepts small jobs.  Even the industrial shops have a minimum order size.  I remember one outfit doing this.  I want to say their name was Outlaw or something similar, but heard a bunch of stories about not is good results.

The issue is that coloring is hard to get anywhere near correct in desired hue and metals vary so much and then the dye dilutes fast.  I know shops that do good anodizing, but fir them, a small job is 100 pieces.

US Anodizing, for sure does good work.  They did a Colt gray for me 10 years ago.  What’s his name?  Louis, I think?  He has told me repeatedly he is 2 years backed up with work, every 1 or 2 years I ask.  He told me he got fed up with people wanting 80% work done.  He got I trouble with ATF, although bot real bad trouble, but he had some 80% and complete home made lowers with Colt markings (not real Colt) and some without serial numbers.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like this is pretty much a No-Go these days.  I'd love to find a place that does this too but so far I haven't found anything either.  I wish some vendors would sell their stuff in matched sets of colored anodizing.  Wouldn't it be amazing if the new Colt sold tanodized (or in your case OD) uppers and lowers?  Hey a guy can dream.  

So I don't know your sit, but if you have uppers and lowers in the white, you can easily alodine them, which is a process used in aerospace (aircraftspruce.com).  You simply soak the parts in alodine solution and water rinse.  It gives a nice golden color. This will protect all the nooks and crannies from corrosion.  You then simply coat with the material of choice.  Cerro, Dura, etc.  

I would think this is probably the best option for home workshop guys these days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like this is pretty much a No-Go these days.  I'd love to find a place that does this too but so far I haven't found anything either.  I wish some vendors would sell their stuff in matched sets of colored anodizing.  Wouldn't it be amazing if the new Colt sold tanodized (or in your case OD) uppers and lowers?  Hey a guy can dream.  

So I don't know your sit, but if you have uppers and lowers in the white, you can easily alodine them, which is a process used in aerospace (aircraftspruce.com).  You simply soak the parts in alodine solution and water rinse.  It gives a nice golden color. This will protect all the nooks and crannies from corrosion.  You then simply coat with the material of choice.  Cerro, Dura, etc.  

I would think this is probably the best option for home workshop guys these days.
View Quote

Unfortunately, because of how anodizing works, it's very hard to get the color right when doing anything other than black. You can make things green, but each batch (and even different parts within the same batch) will always have some unpredictable variation in the resulting color.

The result is that people order OD green anodized parts and then get upset when it shows up looking a bit more like lime green or ranger green, or complain about their upper and lower being mismatching shades. So most companies consider colored anodizing to be more trouble than it's worth, because black is the only anodizing color where the customers are never surprised by what they get.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct with what is written above.  My company went with all black anodizing.  We had tried colors, and could not get parts to match for the reasons above.  Different lots of aluminum, different batches absorbed the anodizing differently.  Welds always turned out darker.

Anodizing is really two processes.  One is the actual anodizing, which chemically changes and hardens the surface, helping the aluminum become more corrosion resistant.  This process makes the surface more porous so it can absorb the color.

We finally just went to powder coating of our products.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Getting consistent output on anodizing is very hard, for all the reasons mentioned, for which I understand some, and mostly parrot the rest.  I know of one company that does a very nice green anodizing, but they do it in batches for manufacturers and gunsmiths, and the cost is prohibitive for a consumer, as there are setup and minimum batch sizes.  For most folks, some sort of coating, like Cerakote will be well received.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
US Plating & Surface Finishing in Kansas city did my m16 receivers in od green. They match a usgi ammo can almost perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Samson manufacturing does though their finishing side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top