Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2022 10:06:04 PM EDT
I have an Auto Ordnance Thompson M1A1 with the 16.5" barrel that is being SBR'ed.  Once that's approved, I need to know who I can send the rifle to along with the new 10.5" barrel I have for the swap.

I've read up on the process and it's not something I am willing to attempt myself.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd call Philadelphia Ordnance, and see what they can do.

https://philaord.com/
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd call Philadelphia Ordnance, and see what they can do.

https://philaord.com/
View Quote
Thanks.  Just sent them an email.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
For posterity, here was their response:

"Gunsmithing is $100/hr and we keep a detailed worksheet by the minute. If the Apex barrel will screw into the receiver the time to remove the old barrel and fit the new one and fit and pin the front sight and test fire would be 75-90 min.

If the barrel does not screw in and has to be fitted, if the chamber is a M1911 type .45 ACP straight-walled chamber and not a correct tapered Thompson chamber and needs to be reamed, if the boss on the end of the barrel is not correctly tapered for the front sight, this will all add time.

Turn around time about two weeks."
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the new barrel from Green Mountain barrels.  It will have the proper full auto chamber that requires no headspacing.

I used Dan "Deerslayer" over on the machinegun forums to build up mine.  He also changed out the grip rail (highly suggested) so that USGI wood will fit.  He also modded my magazine lever, repaired my "modded" magazines and put in the FA selector for better looks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get the new barrel from Green Mountain barrels.  It will have the proper full auto chamber that requires no headspacing.

I used Dan "Deerslayer" over on the machinegun forums to build up mine.  He also changed out the grip rail (highly suggested) so that USGI wood will fit.  He also modded my magazine lever, repaired my "modded" magazines and put in the FA selector for better looks.
View Quote
How much did that cost?  How long did it take?
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it was around $350 and two weeks.  That includes him purchasing the barrel and getting it parkerized, as well as all the other things I mentioned.  I also had military markings engraved at a shop in Houston and put on USGI furniture from ebay.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think it was around $350 and two weeks.  That includes him purchasing the barrel and getting it parkerized, as well as all the other things I mentioned.  I also had military markings engraved at a shop in Houston and put on USGI furniture from ebay.

https://i.imgur.com/waiMhI1.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking M1A1 is that a FA? ,the lower appears to have the three prong retainer ..Never mind reread your post ,nice job
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 2:07:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Got in touch with Dan and lined up to have him do the barrel swap once my Form1 is approved.

I am interested in getting a Cutts compensator (or a replica), but haven't had any luck finding one.  Anyone have an idea of where I can find one that has the cutout for the front sight blade so I can add/remove it?

Also, looking for a list of things I should consider having Dan do on my M1 other than the barrel swap and polishing the action and bolt (which he recommended)?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  That one doesn't seem to show any pin that would hold it in place and says "Fits All Threaded Thompson Barrels. Manufactured To Original Specs."

Does that mean that the muzzle needs to be threaded for that compensator to work???
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
A compensator on an M1A1 would look very odd.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A compensator on an M1A1 would look very odd.
View Quote
I could swear that I've seen several pics of WWII troops with Cutts compensators on their M1 Thompson's.  Perhaps those were 1928's?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The Cutts requires a threaded barrel.
Some very early M1 Thompson barrels were still threaded and the Cutts could be installed.
Later M1 and M1A1 barrels were not threaded.

Most of the Thompson's seen in WWII with Cutts were Model 1928A1 guns.

To be "correct" the Cutts should have the hold drilled for the cross pin to retain the Cutts and the front sight.
Most of the Numrich and Kahr Cutts are not drilled and use epoxy or a thread locker to retain them.
However, a good machinist with a milling machine can precision drill the hole.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Could have been photos of late 1928A1’s.   They had smooth barrels and “L” sights.
Not saying an armorer couldn’t have put a compensated barrel on an M1A1.  They did what they needed to keep guns in the fight.  

But no M1 or M1A1 was shipped with a comp.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Appreciate the replies.  You are right - the Thompson's I am seeing from WWII with Cutts compensators clearly have finned barrels on them which suggests the 1928 model.

I also didn't know about the threaded barrel, so going to back off on a compensator.  

Makes sense they wouldn't have them, as the primary reason the military dumped the Thompson was due to cost - they did everything they could to make the 1928 cost less and got the M1/M1A1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top