Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2017 1:49:14 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to make a purchase and I need some real world feedback on Gallowtech's stuff.

Some background: Already have a vault. Built a new one, at a new house.  I have wall control stuff for tools in my shop. It looks good, but is limited in some of the offerings - (no specific mag holders, vertical rifle holders, pistol specific holders, other niceties.  Securit- looks like they use Akro bin style louvers for panels. I have a couple akro panels already... but securit is really spendy stuff.  I also have plastix plus AR mounts in my current vault. They work well - simple even..and they'll be installed in the new vault.  

I really like the look of Gallowtech panels and how clean everything can be arranged. But I have questions.
My questions for those with gallowtech:
Do the vertical rifle holders allow enough space for optics? (It doesn't look like it does.)
Any regrets going with a proprietary connection for all of the hangers?

My $ saving alternative is to go with a combination of Wall control and Plastix plus - IF Gallow's vertical holders don't play well...

Please give me your feedback!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome website, but I had to laugh a bit.  If you look at the gun vault pictures of the Las Vegas gunroom, it is SUPER impressive.  I especially liked the red Harbor Freight tool boxes.  I believe they are the General brand.  Too funny.  Same shit I have in my garage.  Expected Snap-on, Matco, or even Lowe’s brand!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Which website? I just looked around and didn't see any las vegas anything...?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Gallowtech has some good advertising. But for a Vault room that is secure I’m going with slatboard and hooks. It’s 1/10 of the money and looks great.

http://www.grand-benedicts.com/storefixtures/slatwall-fixtures.asp
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Gallowtech is expensive but I haven't seen any product that can store a ton of guns as efficiently. Slatboard is fine if you're hanging every gun in "display" orientation on the wall, but if you're trying to maximize the number of guns hung on the wall Gallowtech has the best mounts I've found.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, back on topic, yes, there is room for optics on the vertical rifle racks. Here is an example photo, you can see scopes, Aimpoint PRO, and I think an Eotech on these rifles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gallowtech is expensive but I haven't seen any product that can store a ton of guns as efficiently. Slatboard is fine if you're hanging every gun in "display" orientation on the wall, but if you're trying to maximize the number of guns hung on the wall Gallowtech has the best mounts I've found.
View Quote
Very true. Armory style mounting with gallowtech is far and away the best use of their stuff. I would think doing a full wall for all my Guns would be a couple thousand though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks - it does look like there's plenty of room for optics with the vertical mount!
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Great topic. I was considering Gallowtech too.  Are you guys worried about the proprietary attachment system? I really like their stuff but I'm worried if they ever went out of business it would be hard to find  accessories. I've been leaning to PVC slatwall  because of this.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
definitely a concern... If something happens to the company  - you're stuck with what you have.....maybe.  VS - pegboard, or akro style slats or slatwall.

Gallow has the best variety of options and vertical hangers - thats a big deal to me.  I filled my shopping cart last night and then saved it.  I need to make a call to the company and get some clarification on some stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Pm sent
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I placed a good sized order last night! 12 panels and lots of stuff to go on them!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Post up pics and feedback when you get them. I've got a vault build in process and will need something along the same lines.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Spot on, plus slatboard cannot safely hold the loads a dense display will impart.  I used it commercially, but didn't even consider it for my room due to the storage density I wanted in the racks.

Gallow Technologies is great stuff, but is second in terms of efficiency due to their wider, staggered hole spacing.  If you want to shift something half an inch this way or one inch that way, often you cannot.

Gallow Tech:

The Expandable Weapons Storage Racks from DataLink (and others) are slightly more efficient and offer more options due to their tighter hole spacing, but are also more expensive than Gallow Technologies.

EWS Racks:    (note the mounting hole layout)

Those are generic internet pics.  
In this crappy but real one, you can get a better idea of the closer hole density actually being used:
Attachment Attached File

The difference is slight, and Gallow Technologies is going to be hard to beat for 90% of most gun rooms.  But if you want to absolutely fill your secure space or allow for maximum collection expansion in the future, there is one other option that does that slightly better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I placed a good sized order last night! 12 panels and lots of stuff to go on them!!
View Quote
I missed that you had already moved on it.  Congrats, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the GT line!  I don't personally know a single person who's tried it and not been happy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Too much sheet metal that can damage/scratch expensive firearms for any type of serious gun collector.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Too much sheet metal that can damage/scratch expensive firearms for any type of serious gun collector.
View Quote
Looks like everything has an edge protector where the gun goes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looks like everything has an edge protector where the gun goes.
View Quote
Correct.  There are no exposed contact edges on almost any of these systems.  And though many would consider me a serious collector, I shoot all of my stuff, including the historical originals.  Different strokes and all that...
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I would need really good temp/humidity control before I left that stuff out of a relatively controlled safe. Dedicated mini split and a dehumidifier. The temp swings can cause flash rust overnight on some of the old blued stuff. GA is pretty mild and even here I've had non firearms rust when the temp drops quickly in the basement

Anybody know the companies that make the racks you see at a gun store?
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 11:24:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I would need really good temp/humidity control before I left that stuff out of a relatively controlled safe. Dedicated mini split and a dehumidifier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I would need really good temp/humidity control before I left that stuff out of a relatively controlled safe. Dedicated mini split and a dehumidifier.
Many folks will simply put a supply duct into their vault room, and leave it at that.  Depending where you live, that can suffice for a lot of applications.  A more robust solution is exactly what you mentioned- a dedicated mini-split.  I very much prefer that to a Goldenrod in a safe primarily for the ability to prevent the RH from dropping too low- which can be bad for wood stocks, especially older ones.

Anybody know the companies that make the racks you see at a gun store?
Can you post a pic of the type you are talking about?  I used slatwall and wood racks in my shop back in the day, and I've seen many different shops do it in other manners.  Hell, no two shops around me use the same method...
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 1:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a minisplit in my vault....I have a build thread over in DIY...
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 3:29:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a minisplit in my vault....I have a build thread over in DIY...
View Quote
DIY? Can someone link that forum?
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 4:57:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

DIY? Can someone link that forum?
View Quote
Per request
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm looking to get some gun storage for my vault. I really like the Gallow Tech stuff.

Any pro's/con's of you guys who have recently installed it?

I still have to fir/stud out my concrete walls. I was debating on putting up plywood over the studs, or just leave them exposed and covering them with the panels.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I have wall control and really like it.  the only issue is if I wanted to store something vertically,  they have good shelves for the stock but I can't find something that will hold the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Gallowtech is spaced perfectly if you have studs on 16" centers... Mine lined up really well, until I got about 10' down the wall, then I was glad to have the 3/4 plywood in front of the studs. :)

I use wall control stuff in my shop, for my tools... I don't think it would work well for guns.  First, you'd need to plastic dip the hooks - which didn't work out too well when I tried it.  I also find that some of the wall control hooks tend to come loose easily.  Don't get me wrong - I like it for tools and think the price is great for that. (especially at their scratch and dent site). But its not even close to the gallon tech stuff.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have wall control and really like it.  the only issue is if I wanted to store something vertically,  they have good shelves for the stock but I can't find something that will hold the barrel.
View Quote
You should write to them and ask them to create something for firearms. I did a few months ago and need to again. They said it was nearing the top of their list of design projects. If more were to ask, it may happen sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I use wall control stuff in my shop, for my tools... I don't think it would work well for guns.  First, you'd need to plastic dip the hooks - which didn't work out too well when I tried it.
View Quote
I agree, their stuff just isn't a good fit for firearms. At the suggestion of another member here, I tried this stuff for edge protection:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG9BAY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top