Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2020 6:02:53 PM EDT
I’m currently just starting to do some minor work and odds and ends on my guns. I need to mount some new optics and am in need of a torque wrench. Currently eyeing a wheeler digital torque wrench that comes in right around $60 on Amazon and then a vortex mechanical offering that’s $89. Are there any I should strongly consider or stay away from?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion the wheeler stuff isnt that great. I have the manual version and it doesn't give me very much confidence. Maybe its because the bits that came with it are soft and they deformed easily and just felt "cheap" overall. That could be a bad way to gauge quality but made me want to get a higher quality one. Maybe the digital is an improvement though.

If I were to buy now I would probably save up and get something like the thishttp://shooterstools.com/Pages/BTD/btdkits.html

Or this
https://www.amazon.com/CDI-401SM-Adjustable-Screwdriver-40-Inch/dp/B001F7VJIO/ref=sr_1_4dchild=1&keywords=cdi+in+lbs+torque+wrench&qid=1597020587&sr=8-4

Could be overkill and unnecessary but these are my thoughts.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#2]
A wrench with suitable adapters is better than the screwdriver versions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

For what reason? Also if you don't mind me asking, what wrench do you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Wheeler digital a few months ago and it was broken right out of the box. I returned it and bought a Wiha and haven’t looked back. The thing just oozes quality. It goes from 10-50in.lb. Just be sure to get the correct 1/4” bit adapter because it comes with a 5mm bit driver from the factory.
CDI (made by SnapOn) is another great option too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 0-75 in-lb Proto dial torque wrench. 1/4" drive.  Found it on flea Bay for not a lot more than a wheeler.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a Wheeler digital a few months ago and it was broken right out of the box. I returned it and bought a Wiha and haven’t looked back. The thing just oozes quality. It goes from 10-50in.lb. Just be sure to get the correct 1/4” bit adapter because it comes with a 5mm bit driver from the factory.
CDI (made by SnapOn) is another great option too.
View Quote

Correction: Most Snap-On torque wrenches and screwdrivers are made by CDI... I have a CDI 5 to 40 inch pound torque screwdriver and I absolutely love it, though I almost bought the Wiha which is great too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For what reason? Also if you don't mind me asking, what wrench do you recommend?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The wrenches have a better mechanism than the screwdrivers.

Lockheed would not allow the screwdrivers to be used on planes.
No driving screws into planes using more than human power.

If you had a bunch of screws on a panel you could use a speed driver.
Many mechanics had a speed driver with a fitting welded on so
torque wrench could be used to put the final torque on each screw.

And no tools with chrome plating on titanium screws.

You had to bring your brand new tool in and they
would acid dip it to removes the chrome.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lockheed would not allot the screwdrivers to be used on planes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lockheed would not allot the screwdrivers to be used on planes.

Interesting. So what wrench do you recommend? What did most of the guys use back then?
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve used a FAT wrench for many years and it’s really not very good. Almost every other gunsmith I know had one, so you tend to end up with one. One guy had a Wheeler digital wrench and I think it was even worse.

A friend had Vortex torque wrench, and it was pretty nice. I can’t speak to longevity, but it was much more pleasant to use.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Please look into Precision Instruments torque wrenches.  They are analog wrenches but you CAN order the wrenches to be 1% accurate.  You won’t find better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’m currently just starting to do some minor work and odds and ends on my guns. I need to mount some new optics and am in need of a torque wrench. Currently eyeing a wheeler digital torque wrench that comes in right around $60 on Amazon and then a vortex mechanical offering that’s $89. Are there any I should strongly consider or stay away from?
View Quote

I steered away from the Chinese torque wrenches. I went with a Nightforce 68 inch pound torque wrench made by Seekonk in the USA. I believe the Vortex wrench is made by Seekonk too. For the smaller screws I went with the adjustable German made Felo wrench. There are two different wrenches. The 1.5 - 3.0 Nm and the 3.0 - 5.4 Nm they come with an in/lb conversion chart. There is also a 0.6 - 1.5 Nm wrench available if you want something that light. If you go with these you will also need the Felo bits because they are unique to them. Not cheap but buy once cry once. Cheap tools are a waste of time and money. Whatever you go with avoid China. American or European is the way to go in my opinion.  I got my Felo wrenches from Midway but check around for the best price and I got my Nightforce/Seekonk from Amazon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I ended up with the Vortex and am overall really pleased with it. Easy to use, super solid construction, fit the bill for my meager needs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In my opinion the wheeler stuff isnt that great. I have the manual version and it doesn't give me very much confidence. Maybe its because the bits that came with it are soft and they deformed easily and just felt "cheap" overall. That could be a bad way to gauge quality but made me want to get a higher quality one. Maybe the digital is an improvement though.

If I were to buy now I would probably save up and get something like the thishttp://shooterstools.com/Pages/BTD/btdkits.html
View Quote

I agree. The Wheeler stuff is cheap junk. I own the original version of this Borka torque wrench and I LOVE it! It really works great and is easy to throw in a pack or range back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top