Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2020 8:04:41 PM EDT
It will just be a range toy for me, but I still want something reliable. Looking to be in the $500 area. Want something that is not impossible to find extra mags & such for.

The Charles Daly N4s & RIA VR80 look decent. What others should I take a look at?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Browning A-5
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save up and get a Saiga or get a traditional shotgun.
View Quote

Sold my Saiga years ago. Oh well, not paying the current premium for another. I already have an 870. I want another mag fed semi auto, thank you
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The VR-80 is a nice shotgun and they've been going in the $700 range.  The AR-12 series isn't bad either.  If you like bullpups look at the RIA VRBP-100.

I know a couple of people with Panzer arms shotguns and they have ran well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The Chinese Lynx AK pattern shotguns are pretty nice. I wasn't expecting much when I bought it but the build quality was impressive for what I paid. They take saiga mags. They went for $399 during the salad days, I have no idea what they would go for now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm headed to a local gun store today &, if they have stock, I will likely end up buying the CD N4S or the Typhoon X12. Hopefully, they have the N4S as I prefer the bullpup.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Chinese Lynx AK pattern shotguns are pretty nice. I wasn't expecting much when I bought it but the build quality was impressive for what I paid. They take saiga mags. They went for $399 during the salad days, I have no idea what they would go for now.
View Quote

Second the Chinese Lynx 12 from SDS Imports.  It seems that $499 is the going rate now.  It shares Saiga compatibility for mags and handguards, and takes AK stocks and grips. The gas system is adjustable and has 4 settings to reliably cycle cheap Walmart bulk pack 2 3/4" bird shot up to 3" buckshot.  It comes with 1 five round mag, and the SDS 10 round mags I've used are also reliable and a lot cheaper than other Saiga mags out there.  I also agree that quality is far better than I expected, but I guess if you think about it, the Chinese have plenty of AK building experience.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up my CD N4S from my FFL today. My 1st bullpup. Seems solid. Will check it out tomorrow to inspect and lube it up good to break it in. Not bad for the money.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Those sweet Chinese AK style ones

Best $400 blaster I have bought
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just picked up my CD N4S from my FFL today. My 1st bullpup. Seems solid. Will check it out tomorrow to inspect and lube it up good to break it in. Not bad for the money.
View Quote

I picked up an N4S today as well. Ordered some Panzer 10 round mags & a cheap sling from Midway tonight. Still need to find out what inexpensive red dots can handle the recoil.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Was lucky to order 2 10 round mags from CD web site when they had some in stock. Am looking for a red/green laser to mount and probably a light. Not sure if I’ll put a red dot on it yet. Going to buy some cheap shells to break it in and see how the recoil is. After breaking it in, then test it with slugs and 00 buck.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Check over on the saiga12 site about those lynx.

A few KB's and soft bolts.

Get a S12 and accept no substitute.

Or a A5 12 G
I know where there is a beater a5 12 gauge for 300 was thinking of picking up and doing a F1 whippet chop.

Could only improve the specimen I'm looking at.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was lucky to order 2 10 round mags from CD web site when they had some in stock. Am looking for a red/green laser to mount and probably a light. Not sure if I’ll put a red dot on it yet. Going to buy some cheap shells to break it in and see how the recoil is. After breaking it in, then test it with slugs and 00 buck.
View Quote

You're supposed to break it in w/the slugs & buck, not birdshot. I ran about 30 shells worth of 00 buck through mine yesterday & no hiccups
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a tricked out SDS Lynx.
It is worthy.

Mrs. O bought it as a good behavior gift, $299 IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're supposed to break it in w/the slugs & buck, not birdshot. I ran about 30 shells worth of 00 buck through mine yesterday & no hiccups
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you read that? Didn’t see it in the manual I read today. Separate the upper and lower today. Plan on taking it apart all the way in the next few days. Did you put the fake muzzle break on yours?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where did you read that? Didn’t see it in the manual I read today. Separate the upper and lower today. Plan on taking it apart all the way in the next few days. Did you put the fake muzzle break on yours?
View Quote

Read that during my research online before I bought it. I did put that on & stripped the allen screw lol now I have to figure out how to get that little pos out
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Read that during my research online before I bought it. I did put that on & stripped the allen screw lol now I have to figure out how to get that little pos out
View Quote

Went ahead and emailed CD to see what they have to say. Really don't want to waste any good ammo. When I saw in the manual that they called it a fake brake, figured it was junk. More for looks than anything. I did try to install it though. Couldn't get it up to the threads. Broke the rubber O ring in the process. Going to see if there is anything better than that plastic POS fake brake. Have you tried a ammo dump yet? Am still waiting on my 10 round mags I ordered a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked up a AK style shotgun called the Komrad. Pretty sweet with it's short barrel and pistol brace and vertical foregrip. Came factory like this because it's legal. Of course the ATF might change their mind here soon... Grabbed a 20 round drum and it's very fun!! Might even grab a Salvo 12 suppressor for it, ha. Had to polish the bolt group and hammer for smoother cycling. Likes hotter ammo to run reliable. Don't see it as a serious self defense weapon. Just a fun range toy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Got this email back from CD

You should be able to use anything but I think the heavier rounds do help to break it in

Thank you

Chiappa Firearms USA, LTD.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I really like the VEPR-12. It has an automatic bolt hold open and the mags go basically straight in, instead of "AK rocking".
The earliest imports had all the folding stock components too, with just one tack weld fixing the stock open.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Saiga 12 if you want to use the drums, VEPR is not.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a drum available for the VEPR-12. I haven't tried it.
I like the 8 and 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There's a drum available for the VEPR-12. I haven't tried it.
I like the 8 and 10 round mags.
View Quote

I stand corrected.
It did not have a drum option a few years ago when I chose.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Tromix

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Went ahead and emailed CD to see what they have to say. Really don't want to waste any good ammo. When I saw in the manual that they called it a fake brake, figured it was junk. More for looks than anything. I did try to install it though. Couldn't get it up to the threads. Broke the rubber O ring in the process. Going to see if there is anything better than that plastic POS fake brake. Have you tried a ammo dump yet? Am still waiting on my 10 round mags I ordered a few weeks ago.
View Quote

My 10 round mags have not arrived yet
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Took mine apart yesterday. Didn't remove the barrel. Fairly simple. Oiled it up best I could. The choke is a modified choke. Not listed in the book so had to do some digging for that info. Hope to break it in tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Carsons makes a IC choke for 00 and slugs, I got one off Ebay for my N4S, fit perfect.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone know what recoil pads might fit the N4S?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Carsons makes a IC choke for 00 and slugs, I got one off Ebay for my N4S, fit perfect.
View Quote

Got a link?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I take it the modified choke cant handle slugs. Waiting on a reply from CD for verification. Sure need a choke that can shoot slugs and 00 buck!
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Got a reply. Minimum is a IM choke for these rifles for slugs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Having a hard time finding a cylinder choke for the shotgun. IC choke can shoot slugs but prefer to get a cylinder choke. If someone know who some in stock, please post it here. thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally found one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Took my N4S to the range again & put some 00 buck through it. No issues once again
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Sweet. Try slugs? Will wait for my cylinder choke to come in before testing mine out. Want to check out slugs and 00 buck. Checking this site out.
https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&midx=2368&allids=2364_2368&itemno=SCP-LS289S
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sweet. Try slugs? Will wait for my cylinder choke to come in before testing mine out. Want to check out slugs and 00 buck. Checking this site out.
https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&midx=2368&allids=2364_2368&itemno=SCP-LS289S
View Quote

For 00 buckshot get Federal Flite Control full power 9 pellet loads as 1325 fps.  This is very stout.

If you've not used Flite Control before, know this:  it is a game changer.  It has a patented wad/ shot cup that cushions the pellets and stays with them longer before separating.  It prefers more open chokes like improved cylinder or cylinder.

You have to aim this stuff, not merely point it.  From my Remington 1100 with 22" IC choked rifle sight barrel, groups at 15 yards (long for inside a home, all 9 pellets are within 3 to 4" (fist size) and all will fit in a 12" square at a full 50 yards.  The big hole in the 15 yard target is the wad/shot cup hitting the target sideways after separating from the load.  They travel about 25 yards downrange.

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I have real interest in the Ks-12
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

That’s hot
What’s your ballpark investment?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No slugs the second time, but the 1st yes. No issues. Need to hit a range that allows bird shot to see of she can handle those light loads
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#41]
My cylinder choke should be here by friday. Then test it out for what I want. haven't decided on laser yet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Browning A-5
View Quote

FPNI strikes again.....
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No slugs the second time, but the 1st yes. No issues. Need to hit a range that allows bird shot to see of she can handle those light loads
View Quote

Sorry for not getting back sooner, not used to going in the shotgun forum, for those that need a IC for Charles Daly N4S this is the one I got:
IC choke Charles Daly N4S for 00 buck and slugs
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Glad I ordered other mags from another place. Just found out from CD that they are out of stock of the magazine’s I ordered last month. Was pissed.. cancelled my order with them. Others came in so am GTG. Won’t order from CD again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That’s hot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That’s hot

I will have to look it up and see, I have slept since then.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I walked into my LGS a few days ago and they had a JTS M12AK-T1 sitting on the shelf for $579. With the ammo shortage and literally pallets of shotgun shells available, I went ahead and took a chance. It seems well made, and has a few review videos on the youtube that are positive. It was also imported under another name I Arms EM12-B . I'm running to the range today to break it in... will report back!

- Clint

ETA:

TikTok video Link

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top