Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2020 11:33:19 PM EDT
I am purchasing an X95 and have four options.

Buy the 300 Blackout and get a 556 conversion with it

Or

Just buy the 16" 556 version out of the gate.  

Or buy a 556 and 300BO guns with a 9mm conversion and use the 9mm conversion on the 300BO gun.

Or

Buy the 556 13" SBR, the standard 300BO, and buy a 9mm conversion.

Of these 3, which should I get?  Looking to finalize my pre January 20 list.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Based on my experience with the original SAR, my experience is that buying the conversion really isn’t worth it.  It’s not really difficult to convert, but it is enough of a hassle that you probably won’t be swapping back and forth very often.  I expect doing it on the X95 is similar.

I swapped my 5.56 SAR to 9mm and never went back.  Got a 5.56 X95 instead.  Buy in the calibers that you want.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Based on my experience with the original SAR, my experience is that buying the conversion really isn’t worth it.  It’s not really difficult to convert, but it is enough of a hassle that you probably won’t be swapping back and forth very often.  I expect doing it on the X95 is similar.

I swapped my 5.56 SAR to 9mm and never went back.  Got a 5.56 X95 instead.  Buy in the calibers that you want.
View Quote

I agree. I own both a Sar and a x95 and both are 5.56. If I was going to want other calibers, I would buy the complete rifle. It just makes more sense to me.

To take the rifles down and switch everything out is a risk. There is a take down tab that can snap and it does happen and it happens often. I’m fact the part is always on back order at IWI.

If I am reading correctly you are looking to buy all three as a complete rifle. I would do that. Hands down.

If you want a Tavor that is accurate I would look for a Sar to add to it. I listed mine for sale but I’m pulling the add. It’s a rifle I would regret selling.

Buy them now while you still can. Start with the Sar and then the x95 and get the complete rifles in the calibers you want. Keep us posted and join the IWI Tavor owners group on Facebook. A lot of IWI employees on there and they are quick to help with any questions.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The conversion kits are so expensive might as well spring for “one of each” unless you have some compelling reason.. such as form 1 one gun and have short 5.56/.300/9mm options.

The conversion process is not painful but isn’t really something you’ll enjoy doing.

However keep in mind that if you install a larger diameter muzzle device, such as any suppressor host muzzle device, you will not be able to get the handguard off without removing the device each time unless you use an aftermarket FF handguard. That IS a pain in the ass

Also each time you conver you risk forgetting to remove the charging handle each time before unlocking the barrel, result is a broken gun

Finally... I would suggest you will want to use different rifles of different color with matching mags to keep .300 and 5.56 separate
I do not want to imagine .300 round in a 5.56 Bullpup!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:52:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not buy it as a factory NFA SBR. Because even though you can put it in a longer configuration it is still originally registered as an NFA item and you will not be able to remove it from the NFA registry since that was its original configuration. If you buy it as a regular rifle, which it was originally manufactured as 26.1” overall length and 16.1” barrel, you can get a tax stamp and convert it to an SBR. Then later if you needed to, send a letter to ATF and remove it from the NFA registry and put it back into its original  manufactured configuration as a regular rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top