Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2019 10:02:43 PM EDT
I'm currently loading .357mag/.38SPL and seating and crimping in one step.  I'm using a Hornady 3 die set.  I would like to pic up a roll crimp die and crimp in a separate step.  What roll crimp dies are you all using?  What are the pros and cons of each?  I'm loading everything from target .38SPL to full house 158gr H110 .357 Mag loads.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Lee factory crimp die that came with my Lee 4 die set. Seems good enough. I'm now using Hornady dies too but still using the Lee crimp die.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the Dillon crimp die for .357 Magnum.  You could just use your Hornady seating die for both operations.  Back off the die and seat the bullets without crimping.  Then back off the seating stem, and keep screwing the die down until you get the crimp you want.  That's how I do it on my single stage press.  ( The Dillon Crimp Die is on the toolhead for my RL-550B )
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Best?

Redding Profile crimp die, thank me later

Redding crimp @ midway
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the LEE Factory Crimp die in several calibers.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The Lee FCD will work fine and its designed to be less sensitive to slight differences in case length than regular roll crimp dies.

The only drawback of the FCD is the post sizing ring but if you only use jacketed bullets or most plated ones you'll never have any trouble.

The only time the post sizing ring can become an issue is when using "over size" cast bullets. By over size I mean large enough that when passing through the FCD the case and therefore the bullet inside the case gets reduced in size.

The case springs back but the bullet doesn't so nearly all of the natural neck tension is lost. No amount of crimp can fix lost neck tension.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Lee FCD will work fine and its designed to be less sensitive to slight differences in case length than regular roll crimp dies.

The only drawback of the FCD is the post sizing ring but if you only use jacketed bullets or most plated ones you'll never have any trouble.

The only time the post sizing ring can become an issue is when using "over size" cast bullets. By over size I mean large enough that when passing through the FCD the case and therefore the bullet inside the case gets reduced in size.

The case springs back but the bullet doesn't so nearly all of the natural neck tension is lost. No amount of crimp can fix lost neck tension.

Motor
View Quote
Exact reason I got rid of all the pistol FCD’s I had. Wish they made the collet crimp die for pistols. I have one that was custom made for 45Colt.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lee FCD's for revolvers do not have the post sizing ring.

All the 357 one does is crimp.

Btw, the post sizing ring on my 9mm and 45 ACP Lee FCD's never caused me any problems.

I must adjust mine different than the folks who don't like them . I do not follow the instructions when adjusting them.

I simply adjust them until I get the results I want.
View Quote
My 38 special and 44 special FCD's do indeed have the carbide post sizing ring. It's not a problem unless oversized bullets are being used. But I don't load with oversized bullets and have no problems with any of the Lee FCD's I use.

There are a lot of misconceptions surrounding the Lee pistol FCD's, but when setup properly they work quite well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a 44 mag FCD die that had the carbide ring in it. I had issues with it, so I gutted it and screwed it fully into my single stage press and beat the carbide ring out through the bottom with a hammer & punch. It may still be around here somewhere, cowering it a corner.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Best?

Redding Profile crimp die, thank me later

Redding crimp @ midway
View Quote
THIS.  Recommended by Marshall Stanton of Beartooth Bullets in his Technical  Guide to solve issues with hot .45 Colt loads.  Use it in my .44 Magnum and .327 Magnum loads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Lee makes two types of dies
One with Carbide Sizer insert and one without out in both auto loading and rimmed cartridges.

People just do not get the fact that the carbide ones will and do resize bullets anything other than quality jacketed bullets.  So, swaged, hard cast, hard cast coated, and plated swaged bullets are damaged.

Redding calls their roll crimp dies profile crimp dies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Another fan of Redding profile crimp for revolvers.  Especially for the deeper crimp grooves in some lead bullets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Any seating die will work. Simply back the seating stem out or remove it all together.

Adjustdie body downward to achieve the desired crimp on the loaded cartridge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top