Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2021 2:55:42 PM EDT
Which reaction rod type thing should I get?

I've built plenty of ARs but it's time to give my alignment pins a break.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Reaction rods still don't do it the right way.

They just make the barrel extension take all of the torque.

Either keep using the clamshell and a vise or get barrel blocks and do it the right way.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the Botach knock-off.  Way cheaper and works fine, but it's not for barreling.  

https://botach.com/kz-barrel-spline-socket-rod-for-ar15-m4-upper-receivers/
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've only used the real avid, so I don't know if the others have the same feature that it has, with the block that keeps the rod in the barrel.

ETA My concern is losing the pins for it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been happy with geisselles.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Either keep using the clamshell and a vise or get barrel blocks and do it the right way.
View Quote

Not the Midwest version.  It has a lug that rides in the charging handle slot ensuring the that upper and barrel extension are locked together while you torque on the barrel nut. The Wheeler and Real Avid offer similar support for the upper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to set up a bench w/ 3 vices - one for a reaction rod, one for a clamshell, and one for a bbl vice.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which barrel block do you like?

I have a clamshell, but to doesn't work for all uppers and also isn't pressure still applied to the alignment pin?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Midwest Industries
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I've built about 2,000 uppers in the last 2 years.

I have both the G and the Midwest. I use the G 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which barrel block do you like?

I have a clamshell, but to doesn't work for all uppers and also isn't pressure still applied to the alignment pin?
View Quote
No with a clamshell or fixture that secures the upper, the barrel nut is torqueing against the threads of the upper which is fixed, so no big deal.  With the barrel extension rods, the barrel nut is trying to turn the upper against the pin, which is held stationary thanks to the barrel extension rod.  IMO still no big deal but there is always that one story of an index pin breaking or the upper slot getting boogered.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the Geiselle and have been happy with it.  I built AR uppers and did a lot of handguard swaps at gunshows and in a shop so, it got a lot of use.  Faster than the clam shell and works with all uppers, be they forged, cast, billet, side charging, whatever the hot new thing is

I only broke one alignment pin in 4 years of heavy use.  It was while removing a flash hider.  A combination of a cheap, no name, budget barrel with out of spec threads, being in a hurry, and one of those days where nothing would line up like it was supposed to.  The pin failed with no damage to the upper itself.

Joat
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
MI-URR, it's what the Geissele Reaction Rod should have been.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the generic one from midway .

Works fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
We use the g rod. Brother in law snapped an alignment pin with the upper in a clamshell trying to remove a muzzle device that was rocksetted on. Granted he was impatient and a little rough with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:40:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brother in law snapped an alignment pin with the upper in a clamshell trying to remove a muzzle device that was rocksetted on. Granted he was impatient and a little rough with it.
View Quote

Classic case of wrong tool for the job.

Clamping the barrel would have eliminated that possibility.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#16]
The Midwest Industries one seems to provide the most support for both the receiver and the barrel.

Note that some nitrided barrels with nitrided barrel extensions tend to torque loose from the barrels easier than barrel extensions that aren't nitrided.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top