Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2018 7:15:02 PM EDT
Looking to load SD ammo in my .40. I've loaded about everything for .45 and 9mm, but I'm new to .40, other than Xtreme HP which are of course plinking bullets.

I'm weighing my options, and really would rather have a good defensive bullet that's cheap that I can afford to plink with too. My usual go to is Hornady XTP for that. I'm carrying Gold Dots, factory loaded right now, but when I shoot them up I'll need to replace them.

The other line of thinking is to just buy Gold Dots projos for SD, and cheap stuff for plinking.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1390103549/winchester-bullets-40-s-and-w-10mm-auto-400-diameter-180-grain-jacketed-hollow-point
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The other line of thinking is to just buy Gold Dots projos for SD, and cheap stuff for plinking.
View Quote
I carry Gold Dots, and that is what I've always done. You can work up a similar load with a cheaper projectile if you want the same "feel" for practice/drills.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll probably do that, but I'm still curious as to which Winchester HP that is. Is it something they load in any of their SD offerings, like the SXT, and are there any gel tests on it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Can’t help with that, but it doesn’t look like the PDX or SXT projectile to me. Both have a bit more of a crown shape on top and a lot less of a notch coming down the side.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can’t help with that, but it doesn’t look like the PDX or SXT projectile to me. Both have a bit more of a crown shape on top and a lot less of a notch coming down the side.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm not up on Winchester stuff. I haven't loaded anything Winchester since I loaded some 123gr flat based Soft Point, stuff up for my ex wife's AK. That stuff was amazingly accurate , especially out of my Arsenal SLR101s, for an AK. We had Kobra collimator sights and that helped a tremendous amount too.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Suggest checking out Precision Delta for bulk bullets for practice. Order in lots of 2k. They make a great bullet for the price point. While not a  Self Defense bullet, they allow loading to duplicate the premium ammo of your choice. I load in volume for range practice and carry premium ammo for self defense.

<removed> remember this is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll probably do that, but I'm still curious as to which Winchester HP that is. Is it something they load in any of their SD offerings, like the SXT, and are there any gel tests on it.
View Quote
It's different than the one in their white box defense ammo. Probably pretty generic.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's different than the one in their white box defense ammo. Probably pretty generic.
View Quote
Yeah, I was wondering if performance was good or not. Probably not bonded at that price for sure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know if this is their white box HP round, or if it's loaded in anything from the factory so I might be able to find a gel test or something?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if this is their white box HP round, or if it's loaded in anything from the factory so I might be able to find a gel test or something?

Thanks
View Quote
I compared the pic to the box of ammo I have. It's different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top