Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2022 9:38:57 AM EDT
I have yet to actually reload a single round, I've slowly been accumulating the bullets/brass/powder/primers

Recently picked up a Forster Co-Ax press so getting closer to starting

Now i need to figure out what to do for powder dispensing

I've been looking at the RCBS Chargemasters but have seen a mix of reviews

The Autotrickler seems highly recommended but i don't know if a $500 machine is really practical for the relatively low quantity of reloading i'll be doing
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#2]
For a first timer who will be loading single stage, I usually recommend the Lee single stage kit and the Lee Reloading Manual. You can load real good ammunition and it is geared around the novice. You will still need case trimmer and length gage which Lee combines into simple to use and inexpensive tools. Lee precision is always quick to answer the phone and remedy problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#3]
And a bullet puller. Hammer type is adequate.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using a Lee Perfect powder measure since 2003. Seems to work well, haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Redding BR-3

Buy once, cry once, Harrell's Precision.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I used covid cash to purchase my single stage lee kit (thank you .gov) it all works well enough some powders meter better than others through the "perfect powder measure" the finer ball type powders seem to leak past and end up on the bench. all about due diligence and double checking your charges regardless which you use.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used a RCBS Uniflow for many years with no complaints.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two RCBS Uniflows.  One with a large drum with precision mic knob kit added, the second is set up with a small drum I use for small loads like hornet or the few pistol calibers I load on the single stage.  

they’re not perfect with stick powder but I can throw an H4895 load good enough to not having to trickle up if I didn’t want to, I still do set a skosh low and trickle up.   Ball powder I just throw and weigh.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]
My favorite overall is the Lyman #55
View Quote

As is mine.  I have 5 of them on a rack so I can keep them ready to go.

You can find them pre-owned for less than $50 often.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been using a Lee Perfect powder measure since 2003. Seems to work well, haven't had any issues.
View Quote

This.

The internal wiper system is actually VERY good. So good that it was copied by Adam for the third generation of the AutoTrickler.

It works well and is cheap.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
an rcbs m500 paired with a uniflo 3 might be worth looking at , the uniflo 3 can do rifle and pistol without changing cylinders
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing wrong with the RCBS UPM III.
The Lyman 55 is no longer made.  
Harrell measures are as expensive as the Redding offering with both chambers. I would opt for the Harrell.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Where do you want to go with your reloading and with your shooting?

If you are and plan to stay a low volume recreational shooter, that's one thing.

If you would like to move into low volume but precision shooting, that's another.  

Even at that, short range precision versus mid to long range are important differences in your goals and gear and technique.

If you want to move into high volume shooting, that's another thing.

You did not even tell us if it is rifle or pistol reloading, or both.

Which are you?  Where are you at and where do you want to go?
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Autotrickler seems highly recommended but i don't know if a $500 machine is really practical for the relatively low quantity of reloading i'll be doing
View Quote

For relatively low volume shooting, the Auto Trickler is just about perfect.  

If you want to do precision shooting, and have the budget, it is THE thing to buy.  Even a newbie gets perfect powder charges every time.

I do believe they cost more than $500, though, closer to $1k.  The $500 gets you the scale.  Then, you need the trickler, itself.  Don't forget you need a tablet, iPhone or other computer to interface with the AutoTrickler.  So, it all adds up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For relatively low volume shooting, the Auto Trickler is just about perfect.  

If you want to do precision shooting, and have the budget, it is THE thing to buy.  Even a newbie gets perfect powder charges every time.

I do believe they cost more than $500, though, closer to $1k.  The $500 gets you the scale.  Then, you need the trickler, itself.  Don't forget you need a tablet, iPhone or other computer to interface with the AutoTrickler.  So, it all adds up.
View Quote

It's worth it, for me anyway.

Really makes reloading an enjoyable hobby.

I've had my ATV4 almost a year now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've used a RCBS Uniflow for many years with no complaints.
View Quote

Same here.

Very accurate and still use it for small batches.

ETA:  Added this accessory which I like a lot.

https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-powder-charging/scale-and-powder-accessories/micrometer-adjustment-screw/473.html

Link Posted: 8/13/2022 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Just my humble opinion. If you are just starting out and want to get what you need to start learning on you should actually look into getting a kit. There are several available. Back when I started reloading I picked up a Lee challenger kit. The RCBS kit is good also. There are several and you get everything you need to start out with.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#19]
The Lyman 55 powder measure has been replaced with the "Brass Smith" powder measure (about $75).  it has a micrometer adjustment and from what the mfr. website says it will handle both rifle and pistol size charges (good since you won't have to purchase a separate rotor). It also comes with a powder baffle (definitely good).

Another attractive option is the RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure III (about $100). This also has a micrometer adjustment and the rotor will handle both rifle and pistol. Another feature is that the plastic hopper tube is threaded ito the top of the housing for easy removal/cleaning (they should have done this years ago). Unfortunately it does not come with a powder baffle but may be purchased separately (highly recommended).

The one I use is the Hornady Lock n Load powder measure. The rotor that comes with it only does rifle charges so I ha to purchase the pistol rotor. It comes with a baffle. it does not come with a micrometer but one can be purchased separately.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just my humble opinion. If you are just starting out and want to get what you need to start learning on you should actually look into getting a kit. There are several available. Back when I started reloading I picked up a Lee challenger kit. The RCBS kit is good also. There are several and you get everything you need to start out with.
View Quote

Kits are good for low-volume recreational shooters, but if you are interested in a specific discipline they are not a bargain - everything but the press would likely be replaced.  There is no one way to approach reloading (although there many wrong ways and dead ends).  We need more information to make any sort of meaningful recommendation.  Trollslayer's list of questions in post #14 is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I started out with an RCBS Uniflow powder measure and just added a baffle in the hopper and grabbed the other size measure and haven't had any issues with it working and getting close enough to trickle up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Extruded powder - Lee Perfect PM.

Ball powder - RCBS Uniflow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an RCBS uniflow, and also a Chargemaster with the the normal hacks for precision work. I use a Lee Auto drum for volume. It throws a consistent charge time after time
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Auto trickler is the way if you can afford it, but the RCBS charge master lite works extremely well for what it is..I've had zero issues with getting quality loads with it..I do use a separate game pro 250 to verify each charge off the lite, but its rare it varies more than 0.10 a grain...
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I use an rcbs uniflow and an rcbs trickler when single stage loading.  I set the uniflow up to drop slightly low and trickle to what I want.  Not as elegant nor as fast as an electronic trickler, but it works for me.

Of course I spent years just using dippers.  I made dippers out of cases for what I was loading.  Dipped case into a container of powder, poured it into scale pan, and trickled to weight.  I have a .300 win mag dipper, a .270 dipper, and a .45-70 dipper still in the kit I think.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have yet to actually reload a single round, I've slowly been accumulating the bullets/brass/powder/primers

Recently picked up a Forster Co-Ax press so getting closer to starting

Now i need to figure out what to do for powder dispensing

I've been looking at the RCBS Chargemasters but have seen a mix of reviews

View Quote

Why do you want to reload?  Are you looking for extremely high precision rounds, which can get you out to a mile, or going to be shooting PRS style matches, or plinking with friends?

AutoTrickler v4 is an amazing piece of kit, but the RCBS Chargemaster isn't something to sneeze at either.  The previous will measure accurately to a single kernel of 4064, whereas the RCBS Chargemaster will measure accurately to one tenth of a grain (1/7000 of a pound is 1 grain).

I decided to get an RCBS Chargemaster(CM) for $300 and spend my reloading dollars elsewhere.  I don't think the CM is limiting my shooting currently.  

If you get a CM now, you might be out $50 - $100 when selling if it wasn't up to your needs.

My Hornady powder measure sits idle now and is just taking up space.  I think you can easily start reloading without a powder measure today.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:46:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I just started reloading myself. As is always the case, I jumped in head first and have been overdoing it with the amount of info I have taken in. I loaded my first 20 rounds on Sunday using an RCBS Uniflow 3. For me personally, it was slow and the static was crazy. Even using a dryer sheet didn’t help much. In the end, I have already realized I want something different. So last night I ordered a Chargemaster Link. It’ll be here tomorrow. I wanted the low end of buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just started reloading myself. As is always the case, I jumped in head first and have been overdoing it with the amount of info I have taken in. I loaded my first 20 rounds on Sunday using an RCBS Uniflow 3. For me personally, it was slow and the static was crazy. Even using a dryer sheet didn’t help much. In the end, I have already realized I want something different. So last night I ordered a Chargemaster Link. It’ll be here tomorrow. I wanted the low end of buy once cry once.
View Quote

Hope you didn't pay too much for it, just went on sale at Midway for $269 + Free Shipping
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hope you didn't pay too much for it, just went on sale at Midway for $269 + Free Shipping
View Quote

Nope. $285 and free shipping. When I got that email today I about shit though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#30]
For plinking loads I use the Lee auto disk. It’s like $40 and works great. If you can’t find a disk that works well for a round you can buy an adjustable disk and dial it in. It definitely has its pros and cons but I’ve been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Powder charge accuracy is the most critical aspect of reloading.

I used a Redding PM as a new reloader and then graduated to a RCBS Chargemaster.

The Redding was fine, but wasn't great.  

The CM went wonky after 6 months and I ended up tearing down several hundred rifle rounds as a result.

I them purchaed two Harrel PMs - one for pistol and the other for rifle. Best money I've ever spent on reloading equipment.

These are heirloom quality tools that are supremely accurate. The accuracy is repeatable all day long and it just plain works. They also happen to be extremely well made, which I appreciate.

Cost is relative, and I believe Harrels are the most accurate manual PMs ever produced. At the end of the day, I have peace of mind that my powder charges are dead on every time I cycle the handle.

That's priceless for me as a reloader.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#32]
For PRS, hunting and workups I'm using a RCBS charge master. If you are going to count flakes then ATV is what you want.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/LMtd4B7l.jpg

I use a Redding powder measure located next to a RCBS 505 scale for good work flow.

View Quote

I'm going to steal your mounting position idea.   I've got my little rcbs thrower mounted to the edge of the bench and I don't like it there at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top