Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2023 10:00:19 AM EDT
Looking to move my Obsidian 9 to my SP5. Wanting to buy a can that will be dedicated to 9mm handguns. Considering the following:

* Q Erector 9
* Thunder Beast Fly 9
* Odessa 9
* CGS MOD-9
* Surefire Ryder 9Ti

Which would you pick & why?

Just a range toy. Don't want anything stupid long or heavy. I'd likely always run something like the Erector or Odessa in 5-7 baffle config.

I'm not after the quietest of all, but I don't want something that barely makes a dent in noise either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
If diameter isn’t an issue the Omega 9k is a decent length/performance and YHM R9 is similar. The Fly 9 drops weight, is a little thinner, adds length modularity, and by Thunderbeast’s tests is quieter. But it costs more.

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
someone compared the R9 to the Omega 9k and said the R9 was quieter
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not grab another Obsidian 9? I'm in the exact same boat, running an Obsidian 9 now but really want to get a 2nd to have a PCC and a pistol can. On one hand, I like the Obsidian9 and seems like a good choice, on the other hand I feel like I should try something else. Decisions decisions. Previously I had been looking at the CGS and Rugged options and went Rugged. Of your choices I'd probbaly go CGS, just to give it a try
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I own the Mod 9 and the Odessa.

The Mod 9 is light and quiet. Balance is good because all nearly all its weight is at the rear. Easy to disassemble for cleaning. There's a 3-lug adapter and it works great on a PCC. This was my first suppressor and I am very happy with my decision to purchase it. I would do it again.

The Odessa is the ultimate in modular. It's fun to play with. Good for 22LR as well. Not a good intro can. Wait until you have a standard pistol can before getting it.

My next pistol can will be the Fly 9. Performance is supposed to be at least as good as the Mod 9 but much lighter and it's modular so you get a K-can out of it too.

So my recommendation is either Mod 9 or Fly 9. Can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Worth a look at least
4 oz, 6.5 inches. No booster necessary.

https://www.eccomachine.net/product/tlx/
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
For handgun use I love my Omega 9K.  It’s compact and sounds great.  Love it enough that I have another in jail.

Also love my Obsidian 9’s for handgun use too.  

I bought my Mod 9 strictly for handgun use but I hardly use it.  I just like the O9K or Obsidian more.

The R9 is a great can but a little too bulky for handgun use in my opinion.  I tend to use my R9’s on PCC’s instead.  

I can’t comment on the Odessa yet because it’s still in jail.  

Will probably buy a Fly 9 too even though I keep telling myself no more 9mm cans.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
^
Nice collection of pistol cans! All Cam Lok equipped.

I see the Mod9, R9 and Omega 9K in the middle. What are the two cans on the ends in that pic?  Never mind. They are Obsidian 9s of course.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^
Nice collection of pistol cans! All Cam Lok equipped.

I see the Mod9, R9 and Omega 9K in the middle. What are the two cans on the ends in that pic?  Never mind. They are Obsidian 9s of course.  

View Quote
I'm actually more impressed with the collection of pistols myself......
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been very happy with my Mod9sk and will be picking up the full size version as soon as I find a decently priced one available. Very light and quiet. Just ran it on my FN 509c tactical yesterday and even on a compact it doesn't really mess with the feel of the gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd get another Rugged Obsidian since they would share all the accessories that you have.

Rugged also has a manufacturer rebate right now of $100 to their store.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I own the Mod 9 and the Odessa.

The Mod 9 is light and quiet. Balance is good because all nearly all its weight is at the rear. Easy to disassemble for cleaning. There's a 3-lug adapter and it works great on a PCC. This was my first suppressor and I am very happy with my decision to purchase it. I would do it again.

The Odessa is the ultimate in modular. It's fun to play with. Good for 22LR as well. Not a good intro can. Wait until you have a standard pistol can before getting it.

My next pistol can will be the Fly 9. Performance is supposed to be at least as good as the Mod 9 but much lighter and it's modular so you get a K-can out of it too.

So my recommendation is either Mod 9 or Fly 9. Can't go wrong either way.
View Quote

The Obsidian is what I use on my pistols now so Odessa would not be my 1st, but why do you say not a good intro can?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why not grab another Obsidian 9? I'm in the exact same boat, running an Obsidian 9 now but really want to get a 2nd to have a PCC and a pistol can. On one hand, I like the Obsidian9 and seems like a good choice, on the other hand I feel like I should try something else. Decisions decisions. Previously I had been looking at the CGS and Rugged options and went Rugged. Of your choices I'd probbaly go CGS, just to give it a try
View Quote

Am hoping to find a smaller diameter for dedicated pistol use, that's why I have not just bought another Obsidian. Also want lighter.

Maybe I should just buy the Odessa and 1 of the others instead of just one more can LOL
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been very happy with my Mod9sk and will be picking up the full size version as soon as I find a decently priced one available. Very light and quiet. Just ran it on my FN 509c tactical yesterday and even on a compact it doesn't really mess with the feel of the gun.
View Quote

Have you used it on any pistols with standard height sights?
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Have you used it on any pistols with standard height sights?
View Quote

Yes, I've used it with my MR920 and the sights line up right at the top edge of the can so I have no trouble using it with that one as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, I've used it with my MR920 and the sights line up right at the top edge of the can so I have no trouble using it with that one as well.
View Quote

Interesting. The MOD9SK is the same diameter as my Obsidian & the Obsidian blocks the irons on my TP9 Elite SC.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Interesting. The MOD9SK is the same diameter as my Obsidian & the Obsidian blocks the irons on my TP9 Elite SC.
View Quote

To be clear, the front sight dot on that gun is behind the can, not over it, but it is right at the very edge of the can.

ETA: I don't have a photo of it on the MR920, but here it is on the FN:

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Obsidian is what I use on my pistols now so Odessa would not be my 1st, but why do you say not a good intro can?
View Quote
It's very specialized. Optimized for maximum modularity and small diameter. Compromises made elsewhere.

It's not quiet when compared to the Mod9 and only comparable in full length which makes it awkward handling. It's also kind of heavy in full length.

For nearly everyone, the Fly 9 or similar would be a better choice.

More comments on the Odessa here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Anyone-have-an-Odessa-9-/20-540569/

Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For handgun use I love my Omega 9K.  It’s compact and sounds great.  Love it enough that I have another in jail.

Also love my Obsidian 9’s for handgun use too.  

I bought my Mod 9 strictly for handgun use but I hardly use it.  I just like the O9K or Obsidian more.

The R9 is a great can but a little too bulky for handgun use in my opinion.  I tend to use my R9’s on PCC’s instead.  

I can’t comment on the Odessa yet because it’s still in jail.  

Will probably buy a Fly 9 too even though I keep telling myself no more 9mm cans.  

https://i.ibb.co/xzb5r3g/C042-E08-B-7646-419-E-B8-BF-266382-B0-FBD1.jpg
View Quote

What’s your favorite host here? I’ve got a Fly 9 in jail and I ordered a Staccato P to pair with it. I feel pretty good about that decision.

I’ll probably get a Mojave 9 too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd wait to hear what kind of numbers the Mojave 9 is putting out first before deciding.

That said, I'm a big believer in Ecco's stuff.  If Nick is making a Ti can that's only 4oz, I'd strongly consider that one.  Personally, I'd ask him if he could make it slightly longer with an extra baffle or two for ultimate suppression.  I have a 16 year old 9" long, 1.25" diameter 9mm all-aluminum fixed can that is 8oz, and it runs reliably on my Beretta M9A3.
So if Nick would make a Ti can that's about 7.5-8" long and weighs around 6oz - and does 119-122 dB muzzle on the Beretta and Stribog with 147gr subs, I'd be on that like a fly on dung.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What’s your favorite host here? I’ve got a Fly 9 in jail and I ordered a Staccato P to pair with it. I feel pretty good about that decision.

I’ll probably get a Mojave 9 too.
View Quote

That’s a tough one.  I love both the CZ’s and the Staccato P.  However, the CZ’s are heavy but are very comfortable to shoot.  The Staccato edges them out slightly due to being lighter.  Paired with the Omega 9K it’s an excellent combo.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#21]
If your only limited to the ones you listed I'd probably go with a Mod 9.  It has a nice tone to it.  The other cans are fine.  I'm sure you would be happy with any of them.

I actually just jailed recently the RSP.  I've never been happy with my Octane and I wanted another dedicated handgun can I'd actually use so that is the one I chose.  I'm really tempted to jail it's bigger brother the RS9.  Give em a look before making your decision.  Jay spoke pretty highly of the Resilient stuff.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's very specialized. Optimized for maximum modularity and small diameter. Compromises made elsewhere.

It's not quiet when compared to the Mod9 and only comparable in full length which makes it awkward handling. It's also kind of heavy in full length.

For nearly everyone, the Fly 9 or similar would be a better choice.

More comments on the Odessa here:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Anyone-have-an-Odessa-9-/20-540569/

View Quote
i would not run the Odessa in full config on a handgun
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So if Nick would make a Ti can that's about 7.5-8" long and weighs around 6oz - and does 119-122 dB muzzle on the Beretta and Stribog with 147gr subs, I'd be on that like a fly on dung.
View Quote

I went with 6.5"  (10 baffles) for TLX to primarily because 4.3 ounces is light enough to not need a booster for most hosts, but also because that's what people seem to want; long enough for very respectable suppression but shorter than "full size" stuff.

I could certainly add 2-3 baffles, but then at ~5.5 ounces, the Beretta 92 is the only short recoil pistol thats gonna run reliably, and by the time we add a booster to it, it'd be very near the weight of Phoenix IX (9.8 ounces with piston)
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I went with 6.5"  (10 baffles) for TLX to primarily because 4.3 ounces is light enough to not need a booster for most hosts, but also because that's what people seem to want; long enough for very respectable suppression but shorter than "full size" stuff.

I could certainly add 2-3 baffles, but then at ~5.5 ounces, the Beretta 92 is the only short recoil pistol thats gonna run reliably, and by the time we add a booster to it, it'd be very near the weight of Phoenix IX (9.8 ounces with piston)
View Quote

I was waiting for the Fly 45 to become available, but ended up placing an order for a TLX in .45. I already have a Fly 9 in jail, so it will be interesting to compare the two. Boosterless operation sounds like it will probably be pretty nice. I wonder if the Fly 9 will work without a booster in short config.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will that work on a G19 with stock springs?
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I have been wanting a Fly 9 to use on a P30L 9mm. After seeing videos comparing the Fly 45 and Fly 9 on a 9mm, I’ll probably just go with the .45. They were using 9mm Stealth 165, but the Fly 45 was quieter at the ear in both long and short. I have to imagine the shooter gets less crap blown back at them with the .45 too. The added versatility of the Fly 45 is a bonus.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gf2pJzpxWo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pb44SUQqHSM
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was waiting for the Fly 45 to become available, but ended up placing an order for a TLX in .45. I already have a Fly 9 in jail, so it will be interesting to compare the two. Boosterless operation sounds like it will probably be pretty nice. I wonder if the Fly 9 will work without a booster in short config.
View Quote

It might if you use a lightweight mount.  I have to imagine the piston & spring account for at least an ounce and a half of the 5.5 oz listed weight in short config. Our 1/2-28 piston + booster spring is 1.77 ounces  

Funny thing is, I have a .45 host that won't run with "normal" boostered cans, but it's fine with TLX.   The Remington RP45 has always had issues with bullets catching the bottom of the feed ramp when suppressed, even with the 5.5" Phoenix TL that's only 8.4 ounces with the addition of the booster and piston.   The mass on the muzzle causes the barrel to ride the underside of the slide and not tilt back down during feeding.   But TLX is light enough that the gun cycles properly.

It's also a perfect solution for my LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag.   That thing crushed booster springs in one magazine, huge exit pressure.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#29]
My CGS Mod9 has been really nice. FYI, there is a long thread on accuracy issues with the mod9 but I haven't had those problems. Also been running cam lok on it almost from the start.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That’s a tough one.  I love both the CZ’s and the Staccato P.  However, the CZ’s are heavy but are very comfortable to shoot.  The Staccato edges them out slightly due to being lighter.  Paired with the Omega 9K it’s an excellent combo.
https://i.ibb.co/rtXyBJd/B5-C355-EF-1847-47-D8-B497-33-BDE4-EB694-A.jpg
View Quote

I ordered my Staccato P with the steel frame. I’ve got a CZ Shadow 2, but the barrel is not threaded. It’s pretty much strictly for carry optics. I’ve also got a TSO also for competition. The staccato p will be HD and range toy. I might use it in some more informal local matches where nobody really pays attention to what kind of gun you’re using too.

I’ve got an Omega 9k and another in jail. Not sure if I’ll put a booster in one or not. I’ve got them set up for 3-lug right now. I’m fired up about my Fly 9 though. Hopefully will be out of jail in a few months (179 days as of now).
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I ordered my Staccato P with the steel frame. I’ve got a CZ Shadow 2, but the barrel is not threaded. It’s pretty much strictly for carry optics. I’ve also got a TSO also for competition. The staccato p will be HD and range toy. I might use it in some more informal local matches where nobody really pays attention to what kind of gun you’re using too.

I’ve got an Omega 9k and another in jail. Not sure if I’ll put a booster in one or not. I’ve got them set up for 3-lug right now. I’m fired up about my Fly 9 though. Hopefully will be out of jail in a few months (179 days as of now).
View Quote

You’ll love shooting the steel framed Staccato suppressed.  

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Fly 9.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It might if you use a lightweight mount.  I have to imagine the piston & spring account for at least an ounce and a half of the 5.5 oz listed weight in short config. Our 1/2-28 piston + booster spring is 1.77 ounces  

Funny thing is, I have a .45 host that won't run with "normal" boostered cans, but it's fine with TLX.   The Remington RP45 has always had issues with bullets catching the bottom of the feed ramp when suppressed, even with the 5.5" Phoenix TL that's only 8.4 ounces with the addition of the booster and piston.   The mass on the muzzle causes the barrel to ride the underside of the slide and not tilt back down during feeding.   But TLX is light enough that the gun cycles properly.

It's also a perfect solution for my LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag.   That thing crushed booster springs in one magazine, huge exit pressure.
View Quote

I'm hoping the Griffin EZ lok direct thread Alpha adapter will be light enough to run. If not, I can just run your aluminum direct thread adapter. On the website, it looks like the end cap has holes drilled in it. Is this only for reducing weight, or is there also a tool that would allow you to tighten it to the barrel to prevent it from backing off?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm hoping the Griffin EZ lok direct thread Alpha adapter will be light enough to run. If not, I can just run your aluminum direct thread adapter. On the website, it looks like the end cap has holes drilled in it. Is this only for reducing weight, or is there also a tool that would allow you to tighten it to the barrel to prevent it from backing off?
View Quote

They're for the included tool or any adjustable 4mm or 5/32 pin wrench.  Also weight, though, since only 2 holes are necessary for a pin wrench

With the aluminum mounts, backing off hasn't been an issue, but locking on fairly tight has.  We did a little shooting yesterday,  wife had TLX on her S&W 39-2.  I tried to remove it while still warm, and it broke loose the loctited barrel extension on the 39. I had to let it cool to remove.  

It's the same with the aluminum fixtures I use to apply moly resin.  Try to unscrew or extract them fresh out of the 300° bake, it's a no-go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They're for the included tool or any adjustable 4mm or 5/32 pin wrench.  Also weight, though, since only 2 holes are necessary for a pin wrench

With the aluminum mounts, backing off hasn't been an issue, but locking on fairly tight has.  We did a little shooting yesterday,  wife had TLX on her S&W 39-2.  I tried to remove it while still warm, and it broke loose the loctited barrel extension on the 39. I had to let it cool to remove.  

It's the same with the aluminum fixtures I use to apply moly resin.  Try to unscrew or extract them fresh out of the 300° bake, it's a no-go.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks Nick!
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I think I am going to buy the Odessa when back in stock and another Obsidian.

The Erector 9 is tempting because in stock now...

Might even buy the new JK Versa 12 gauge can too
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I love my Odessa. That kind of modularity is super cool for a pistol can. I get that it isn’t as quiet as larger volume cans, but it’s quiet enough.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#38]
i dig my mod9. i wanted something quiet so i picked the #1 overall can on pews list.

honestly, if you can wait, that's what i would do. with the mojave 9 coming out in a few months and the mod-x being teased by CGS, it may be best to wait.

i really want to try the thunderbeast fly 9. but hot dam their stuff is spendy and i get no deals through my shop. i paid 400 for my mod 9. do i think a can that is 3x as much will perform 3 times better than pews highest rated 9mm can? i highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i dig my mod9. i wanted something quiet so i picked the #1 overall can on pews list.

honestly, if you can wait, that's what i would do. with the mojave 9 coming out in a few months and the mod-x being teased by CGS, it may be best to wait.

i really want to try the thunderbeast fly 9. but hot dam their stuff is spendy and i get no deals through my shop. i paid 400 for my mod 9. do i think a can that is 3x as much will perform 3 times better than pews highest rated 9mm can? i highly doubt it.
View Quote

I like the fact that the Odessa can be used with standard height sights. Mojave 9 is too fat so I'd just get another Obsidian vs wait the expensive Mojave.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
The point of the Fly 9 isn't that it will sound better than a Mod 9 (maybe it does, maybe it doesn't), it's that it should sound at least as good, but is also super light and modular.

That's an awesome price for a Mod 9! I paid $428 for my Kraken when CGS and ZEV parted ways and they were at blowout price.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I like the fact that the Odessa can be used with standard height sights. Mojave 9 is too fat so I'd just get another Obsidian vs wait the expensive Mojave.
View Quote
The Mod 9 is the same diameter as the Obsidian 9, a couple ounces lighter, and has the weight balanced towards the rear (so on the gun it feels lighter than it is).

Though the Obsidian is modular. That's nice.

Link Posted: 2/28/2023 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Mod 9 is the same diameter as the Obsidian 9, a couple ounces lighter, and has the weight balanced towards the rear (so on the gun it feels lighter than it is).

Though the Obsidian is modular. That's nice.

View Quote

Since I will be using these on handguns, I really value the modular aspect. I'll move my current Obsidian 9 to my SP5 when the new cans come in.
I still might buy a Mod 9 or another, though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Ordered an Odessa 9 today. The long wait begins!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top