Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2018 5:56:58 PM EDT
Would really like the Hornady Classic single stage but the price is high.

I use a RL550b for handgun reloads, want to add a single stage for some rifle bullet seating.

The Lee classic cast  looks great but the Lee name gives me the shivers.

Outside of those it is down to the cheapo RCBS partner and the cheaper Lee Challanger

Any info on these would be great or alternatives for cheaper than the highest priced ones I listed. Or if you can make me feel better about a Lee press. Is it better than the partner press? Both are aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both of the Lee's you linked too and haven't had a single issue with them.  Even loading BMG on the classic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Of those you listed, The Hornady
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The Lee Classic Cast is a great press.

I have had it, a Co-Ax, RL550B, T-7 (sold), and a S1050B (sold), 00-7 (sold).

If I had to go down to 2 presses today it would be the Lee and the RL550B.  The Lee makes good enough ammo to get .5MOA 5-shot groups in my AIAT.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have both of the Lee's you linked too and haven't had a single issue with them.  Even loading BMG on the classic.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I won't be doing much high force work on them but want some smooth low maintenance operation. Are they similar to other presses you have used for smoothness or holding together?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Myself, I would look to the used market and get an RCBS for about $40-50.
View Quote
That doesn't exist.  Been looking for a month and no 40-50 dollsr press exists in the used market that I can find.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have reloaded over 10k of mixed pistol and rifle rounds with my rcbs partner press in the last 4 years.

Press itself is sturdy and has stood up well.  Priming system sucks.

Should add if your sizing rifle brass with it you will find out real quick if you don't have enough lube on the case. Its doable but doesn't have the leverage of the bigger presses.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info. I won't be doing much high force work on them but want some smooth low maintenance operation. Are they similar to other presses you have used for smoothness or holding together?
View Quote
They both are holding up fine.  I am a cheap ass, so Lee are the only presses I have.  I have sat here for a few minutes to think if I have broken anything on any of them and other than getting a BMG case stuck once, not a single issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
We've used LEE since 1985 for our reloading. pistol and rifle. The Classic Cast is excellent and the other press the "Challenger" have consistently put out ammo that shoots .300 groups from our target rifles and accurate hunting loads without fail. The work the same as other presses and none are aluminum. all of ours attract a magnet.

Dont go for the snobs here who never used one, they are only looking at the price.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#10]
The Lee classic is perfectly fine.

There are some features on the Hornady that make it "better", but if you're after price I would go with the cheapest one that will get the job done, that is by far the Lee.

I've own a Lee classic, Lee turret, Hornady classic, Hornady AP, and Redding T7 if that matters. I haven't owned any RCBS yet, but intend to get one one day.

None of these have failed me and the only one I've ever regretted purchasing was the Lee turret. That's another issue though...
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That doesn't exist.  Been looking for a month and no 40-50 dollsr press exists in the used market that I can find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does, but it might take more patience than you have. Keep an eye on Craigslist and pounce quickly when something pops up.  I’ve scored a lot of cheap reloading gear that way, including a $40 Rockchucker and an old Pacific Deluxe for $20.

Reloading and firearm forums, you’re correct, ain’t going to happen, but some guy who just cleaned out grandpa’s garage just want the stuff gone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Totally agree with dryflash3 but if you can't find one that isn't doing you any good. I don't have a Lee "classic" cast iron press but I can say I haven't seen it get anything but positive comments.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My "main" press is a Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press that you linked...  the "other press" on my bench, I use for dirty and/or less precise operations is a cheap Lee "C" press (90045 - $32 delivered @Amazon)

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It does, but it might take more patience than you have. Keep an eye on Craigslist and pounce quickly when something pops up.  I’ve scored a lot of cheap reloading gear that way, including a $40 Rockchucker and an old Pacific Deluxe for $20.

Reloading and firearm forums, you’re correct, ain’t going to happen, but some guy who just cleaned out grandpa’s garage just want the stuff gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  I suggest putting a WTB post in the EE, the physical bulletin board at your gun club.   Also you may ask at your local old school gun shop if they have any used equipment.  Sometimes they get that stuff with guns in estate sales.   I was looking for an old style rcbs powder measure stand.  I kept missing them or would be tied with another measure I didn’t need.  I mentioned my want at a local shop and he called me several months later with one.

I picked up a used rock chucker, a rcbs 1010 scale and a rcbs lam2 cast bullet luber for under a hundred bucks.   The deals are out there.  A used reloader special is a decent press and more likely to find in your price range.

Cast boolits website is a very down to earth place for used reloading gear.  I see them sell some really old tank presses too.  That’s where I got the package deal I mentioned above.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
In my experience paying a little more for the item you want has been worth it to me.  Typically these presses will be going strong long after you are dead and buried, an extra $30 is not much for a lifetime of service out of the press.

I've been able to pick up several used RCBS rockchuckers in the $40-50 range, but it's not easy to find them.  I got tired of waiting for a used Redding BB2 and just broke down and bought it one day.  So if your tired of waiting, I'd get the Hornady and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
 the "other press" on my bench, I use for dirty and/or less precise operations is a cheap Lee "C" press (90045 - $32 delivered @Amazon)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61YwU9l5QTL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
I bought one of these and a universal de-capper die when I got into wet tumbling...  It is an ok press and great for the purpose.  Mentioning this here to say that based on my experience using the Lee "C" press, if I were to buy a new single stage press today I would get one of the new open designs from RCBS or Hornady.

That said, used a buddies Partner Press for a long time, good press.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Lee's Classic Cast iron press is an excellent press and built like a tank. I purchased mine when they first came out for $85.00 delivered to my door.

I own Rock Chuckers and you can get them on sale for under $130.00.

Use presses are available at estate auctions all the time. Most old timers only loaded hunting ammo on them, used very little. Neglected a lot.

Cast iron presses will last your lifetime. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In my experience paying a little more for the item you want has been worth it to me.  Typically these presses will be going strong long after you are dead and buried, an extra $30 is not much for a lifetime of service out of the press.

I've been able to pick up several used RCBS rockchuckers in the $40-50 range, but it's not easy to find them.  I got tired of waiting for a used Redding BB2 and just broke down and bought it one day.  So if your tired of waiting, I'd get the Hornady and be done with it.
View Quote
I would suspect the number of rock chuckers is 100:1 with the Redding presses because of the years of production.  I would bet current production is probably 35:1   Just my gut feeling based on what I see stocked in stores and what I hear people talk about owning.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I started out using the Lee Challenger press and have nothing but good to say. Cranked out many thousands of accurate and reliable ammunition. I have moth balled it since purchasing my turret press, but I still use it once in a while to reform 300 Blkout brass. Still a sturdy and productive tool as the day I purchased.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Outside of those it is down to the cheapo RCBS partner and the cheaper Lee Challanger

Any info on these would be great or alternatives for cheaper than the highest priced ones I listed. Or if you can make me feel better about a Lee press. Is it better than the partner press? Both are aluminum.
View Quote
I have reloaded thousands of rounds over the last 38+ years on an RCBS Reloader Special press (it's like the Partner, but without the rudimentary compound leverage arrangement).  I recently decided to retire it for everything except decapping and replace it with a Rock Chucker.  I've used RCBS equipment all my reloading life.  They have always stood behind their products like nobody else.  And the way I look at it, a press is a once or twice in a lifetime investment for most people and even at my age, the $50 or so price difference between a Lee cast iron press and an RCBS Rock Chucker works out to less than a penny per day over the rest of my reloading career.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I use a RL550b for handgun reloads, want to add a single stage for some rifle bullet seating.

View Quote
The LEE classic cast single  should not give you the shivers lol.   It's a great press.  I have one, and a 550, and that combo for me is perfect.  I realize you are getting one for bullet seating which the LEE does a good job of, but in addition if you go to use it for other things, the LEE classic cast has a nice tube primer catch, an integral bottom stroke primer system which seats primers really well on the press, and you can get a very inexpensive Lee Safety prime.

The LEE CLassic Cast or a RCBS Rock Chucker both good choices, I am just partial to the LEE Classic Cast.  Don't get an aluminum press ... the LEE Classic Cast, or a RCBS Rock Chucker are worth the additional dollars imo,  you will use them for life if you choose to (and both will have resale value if you choose to sell one day, as you are finding out).

That typed, as you are getting a single stage to seat rifle bullets in particular, I highly recommend a sliding sleeve bullet seater regardless of the press you buy .... most do an excellent job of controlling run out in rifle loads and make any great press an excellent press ..... so my advice would be to do what's in your budget on the press (nod to the LEE classic CAST), and splurge on a seating die.   My preference on the die is a Redding Competition (with the micrometer), but Forster also makes an excellent seating die called the ForsterUltra Micrometer, and some have given the Hornady sleave seating die good reviews here to.

my two cents
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO.......

BUY A USED RCBS.

They are available for a fraction of the new price.  I've often found them at Gun Shows.  Top pick: RCBS RockChucker

My last press I purchased was a RCBS Partner press.  I didn't need it.  But for $20.....why not?

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been keeping my eye out for a "cheap" used RockChucker for a while now, and at least in my area, they aren't showing up.  Once in a while I see one crop up online, but they get snapped up fast.

I'm probably going to bit the bullet and get a Lee Classic single stage.  I've been pleased so far with my Lee Classic Turret, so I don't see any reason the single stage version would disappoint.  It's basically a big chunk of cast iron with a simple linkage, so not exactly a difficult piece of machinery to produce.

I'll still keep my eye out for a cheap used RockChucker, because once you have two presses why not have three?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe a dumb question, but since the OP is wanting to just seat bullets with this additional press, is there actually a performance loss with something like the Lee aluminum breech press for just over $30?

I have one of those on my platform for the sole function of decapping primers, but it seems it would be quite adequate for bullet seating too...or any step that has little pressure requirement.

I use my RCBS Rockchucker for everything else and will continue to do so.  I'm as guilty for overkill as anyone else, so I'm just asking out of curiosity on the inexpensive Lee breech.

Is the aluminum breech model so poor on precision as to not be trusted for bullet seating?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#25]
The Lee Cast is a great press.  Not sure if you knew. Pull the rotation rod off the Lee Cast turret and you have a single stage press with the opportunity to change back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Lee Cast is a great press.  Not sure if you knew. Pull the rotation rod off the Lee Cast turret and you have a single stage press with the opportunity to change back.
View Quote
This is what I currently do for rifle cartridge reloading.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Lee Classic Cast is a nice single stage press that is bombproof and won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Lee press does not give you that "cam over" if it is a feature you like. I have Lee Challenger, works for me but I need to watch the sizing die is fully closed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IMHO.......

BUY A USED RCBS.

They are available for a fraction of the new price.  I've often found them at Gun Shows.  Top pick: RCBS RockChucker

My last press I purchased was a RCBS Partner press.  I didn't need it.  But for $20.....why not?

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
That’s a good little press if you wanted to work up loads while on the range.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Lees are fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lee press does not give you that "cam over" if it is a feature you like. I have Lee Challenger, works for me but I need to watch the sizing die is fully closed.
View Quote
This feature is why I think the Hornady is one of the best single stage presses you can get.

For those who don't own a Hornady, the Hornady LNL classic has a cam over. Meaning when you get to the very top of the stroke the ram actually goes down just a fraction of an inch. This is useful because no matter how hard you push on the handle you will not apply any more force (you'll actually be moving the case further from the die).

This is a nice feature because you don't have to pay attention to how much force you apply because once it cams over all work has been done. There is no risk of seating bullets deeper by pressing down too hard on the handle or by sizing the cases more/less depending on the force.

It's one of the most underrated features of a single stage press if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#32]
That is interesting. I prefer the hard stop on the LEE vs cam over.   The classic cast is a tank, it doesn’t flex....can’t imagine how hard I would have to push the handle to compress cast iron, the steel handle would fail first.....and would need to be cranking  harder on a press then anybody ever should.  But either way,  both are fine presses.

Both cam over and hard stop will seat bullets accurately, if dies are set up properly and common sense is used imo.

Not arguing, if everyone’s preferences where the same, it would get boring.

Edit for this:  drfroglegs....I thought about this some more, and I hadn’t considered there might be some tiny variable movement in the shell holder contacts and potentially the threads of the die that could potentially change things regardless of how rigid a press is.   So I guess if a guy was cranking on a press harder than he should be, I see your point.  My coals are spot on with the LEE....but the next time I am seating rifle bullets I will experiment on a couple to see if I can cause variances in coals with bad technique.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Both cam over and hard stop will seat bullets accurately, if dies are set up properly and common sense is used imo.
View Quote
The issue is with full length sizing when a case is hard to size. The came over feature gives you the feel when the ram pass the highest point, so you know the die is fully closed. Otherwise, will need to watch the die/shell holder gap, lever position vs. force.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought all single stages could/would cam over?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Co-Ax doesn't.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Co-Ax doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Co-Ax doesn't.
Correct it just comes to a pair of stops cast into the link arms. You
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I picked up a RCBS rockcrusher used at a gunshow when I was 14. Almost 30 years later and it is still going strong.

I paid less for it than the cheapest of the cheap presses new back then.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The issue is with full length sizing when a case is hard to size. The came over feature gives you the feel when the ram pass the highest point, so you know the die is fully closed. Otherwise, will need to watch the die/shell holder gap, lever position vs. force.
View Quote
Deleted: bump fired dupe
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, on a LEE press (which has no cam over) using a full length sizing die, there is no gap to watch.  The die is the hard stop when it contacts the shell holder....per the directions, ya screw the die in until it contacts the shell holder and then screw it in a little more (which insures contact). No gap to watch, no feel needed. (And why I prefer a hard stop press over cam over, ymmv)

But again, both styles of presses, cam over and hard stop cast presses, are fully capable of seating bullets consistently, or sizing headspace consistently (including hard to size cases), if the dies are adjusted properly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Dillon 550B as my main press, but use a Lee Classic Cast for my ultra precision rifle loads.
Been using it since it came out. Happier than a pig shit with its results.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#43]
there is no gap to watch
View Quote
Until you have a case hard to size.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
there is no gap to watch
I must be missing your point, or potentially (and I mean no disrespect with this comment, because I respect yours),  you may be missing mine or potentially you haven’t operated both types of presses, (or to be fair, maybe I have never encountered as difficult to size brass as you have...brass that would be so strong the mechanical advantage of the linkage, and cast and steel couldn’t overcome). If the brass were to be that “hard”, it would be stuck in the die or so far out of spec it would be worthless for my purposes regardless of the mechanics of the press imo.

At the end of the day, assuming we are still talking fls, all you have to do with a hard stop press is pull the handle until die meets the shell holder (or the cast to cast hard stop depending on the equipment/die brands.). All ya gotta do with a cam over is make sure it cams over after you measure outcomes off of top dead center (which will change as the press wears), and set the die accordingly.   Seem like same same to me if the reloader is doing his part, and not rocket science.

To each his own, you like yours and it makes ammo you enjoy...me too, all good.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#45]
The lee cast iron turret press is a great deal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:31:54 AM EDT
[#46]
The lee cast iron turret press is a great deal.

Didn’t mean to double tap, sorry
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#47]
If this is going to be a “utility” press, get the Lee Classic.  If you’re going to use it as a workhorse, go with the Hornady.  No knock against the Lee, but the Hornady is a bit more robust.

Any “O” type press is superior to a “C” press in rigidity, and if the “C” press isn’t cast iron, you’ll wind up with even less rigidity.

Be wary of buying a used Rock Chucker press online.  I’ve seen a number of used RCs that looked like crap but had a pretty steep price.  If a press looks rough, it makes me wonder how well it was kept up - my 1980-vintage Rock Chucker has some wear here and there, but aside from some scuffs the finish is in good shape.  This may not be a perfect indicator of the condition of a used press, but a crappy finish makes me worry about what else might be wrong with a tool.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I used a classic cast forever, great press.

$60-$65 ( not mine )
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I started reloading about 4 years ago. Bought most of my stuff used.
If I was to do it over again, I would buy a Redding Ultra mag press. This way I would have room
to load Longer Magnums.
I ended up with a old RCBS rockchucker ( 1970's) that works OK and a old
redding ( C shaped. no idea how old) that is a POS. Only use it for crimping.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first press bought in 2010 was the Lee Challenger.
I then bought a Hornady LnL AP Progressive press for my high volume needs.
I then added the Hornady LnL Classic press to my bench.
The advantage of the Hornady Classic for me is that it shares the same bushing system as the progressive.

Unfortunately I do not like the Hornady Classic for 2 reasons.
1) the press feels sloppy. There is some left / right wobble as you bring the handle down.
2) The press is designed to be run right handed. This means that most of your work inserting and removing brass and bullet seating is done with the left hand.

Most of my single stage reloading is still done on my Challenger press.

If I were to buy another single stage press it would be the Lee Classic Cast with Breech Lock bushings or the Forster Co-Ax.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top