Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2018 4:49:05 PM EDT
Will primarily be used for 45 ACP, 5.56, and 6.5 Grendel with a little bit of 9 mm and 38 Special.

Looking at the Hornady unit but do not see an option for 6.5 mm.  Can it be adapted to work with 6.5 mm?  Also, I am not a fan of their pistol bullet feed dies so would use Mr. Bulletfeeder pistol dies for it.

Am I better off just paying the premium upfront and going with the MBF feeder to begin with?

Any others out there I should consider?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used my LNL bullet feeder and dies with 9mm and had great success.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used my LNL bullet feeder and dies with 9mm and had great success.
View Quote
Jacketed bullets?  They work well for me with jacketed bullets but have been terrible with plated and even worse with cast.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Jacketed bullets?  They work well for me with jacketed bullets but have been terrible with plated and even worse with cast.
View Quote
Jacketed and plated.  RN, JHP, and FP.

Never tried cast in it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the Hornady Bullet feeders. For the 5.56 and the 6.5, you will need the 22cal rifle bullet feeder. and for .45 9mm and the 38, you will need the pistol bullet feeder. I reload both plated and jacketed without a problem. Cast I can get about 25 in a row on average without a problem and I have done 72 with no misfeed. I am still working on cast until I can get it 100%, I got the .40 down all most perfect. But 9mm and .45 have a lot of work to go.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The collet style hornady dies don't work as well for multiple bullet diameters like the mbf does.

That said you can custom fit a collet with a little sandpaper and some elbow grease, and since those dies are cheap, it's not hard or expensive. If you kept a .451 die and honed out out to use for 452 or 453 diameter bullets you'd probably be fine. I briefly experimented with it then bought an mbf instead. I have never regretted that decision.

I bet hornady will sell the pieces separately too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use the Hornady Bullet feeders. For the 5.56 and the 6.5, you will need the 22cal rifle bullet feeder. and for .45 9mm and the 38, you will need the pistol bullet feeder. I reload both plated and jacketed without a problem. Cast I can get about 25 in a row on average without a problem and I have done 72 with no misfeed. I am still working on cast until I can get it 100%, I got the .40 down all most perfect. But 9mm and .45 have a lot of work to go.
View Quote
So you are able to load 6.5 with the 22 cal bullet feeder?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The collet style hornady dies don't work as well for multiple bullet diameters like the mbf does.

That said you can custom fit a collet with a little sandpaper and some elbow grease, and since those dies are cheap, it's not hard or expensive. If you kept a .451 die and honed out out to use for 452 or 453 diameter bullets you'd probably be fine. I briefly experimented with it then bought an mbf instead. I have never regretted that decision.

I bet hornady will sell the pieces separately too.
View Quote
Honing the collet is my next step.  If that doesn't work I'll just break down and get the MBF die.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So you are able to load 6.5 with the 22 cal bullet feeder?
View Quote
Not straight out of the box. The drop tube diameter is too small. But with a small modification, it can be made to work.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not straight out of the box. The drop tube diameter is too small. But with a small modification, it can be made to work.
View Quote
Interesting.  I wonder if I can talk Hornady into selling me an extra 22 bullet feeder die...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, unless it needs to be a motorized unit there is this option, manual index bullet feed system.

I've got the .223 set-up sitting on my bench waiting to try, which probably won't happen until this fall.

Unit is very well made.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP, unless it needs to be a motorized unit there is this option, manual index bullet feed system.

I've got the .223 set-up sitting on my bench waiting to try, which probably won't happen until this fall.

Unit is very well made.
View Quote
Doesnt have to be motorized by any means, just prefer it.  Thanks for the link!  That's very tempting and looks very well made.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top