Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2018 6:04:19 AM EDT
The current 50th or the 49th?

I'm hearing that the current edition has loads that are a bit tamed compared to older editions.

Does the newer version have data on calibers not found in the 49th edition?

Yeah, I know. Buy both
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 6:41:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It is somewhat entertaining to see updates in manuals.

Buy them both and add the cast bullet book to boot
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I screwed up last Dec and broke "The Gun Show Rule". I saw a new, shrink-wrapped copy of the Lyman 49th Ed. on a table. $25 maybe. Maybe $20. I passed and on my way out the door I thought I probably should go back and buy it and damn it was sold and gone.

I'll pick up a copy of the 50th.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The current 50th or the 49th?

I'm hearing that the current edition has loads that are a bit tamed compared to older editions.

Does the newer version have data on calibers not found in the 49th edition?

Yeah, I know. Buy both
View Quote
The 49th edition is about 10 years old, so think of all the new calibers and powders that have come out in that time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I own 47th 48th and 49th Lyman manuals.  I'll buy the 50th fairly soon.  My copy of the 47th is so well-thumbed that it came apart.  So it's now in a three-ring notebook.  I read it cover to cover before I assembled my first round.  Well, not exactly cover to cover.  I didn't read every load.

Free advice:  Buy both plus the cast bullet manual, then try to locate older versions.  I'm looking for a copy of the 46th, but not looking really hard yet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I use several from different companies. It nice to see what company X thinks.  I take all the information to help me with a starting place amd to compare max load and pressures. You can never have too much information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top