Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 5:32:51 PM EDT
I just received my NFA Trust and want to Form 1 a SBS. How do I choose which CLEO to notify? I live in a city with a Chief of Police, but we also have a Sheriff for the County. Does it matter who I choose?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you are in their jurisdiction you can use any of them. I use the head of my state highway patrol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the head of the State Police for reasons.

Boy, do they get sore about it!
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Who gets sore?

The Sheriff is thw Chief Law Enforcement Officer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Take your pick.  I send to the head of the State Police, because I know for a fact they go right in the garbage.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/who-may-qualify-certifying-official-atf-form-1-or-atf-form-4-making-or-transfer-nfa
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Who gets sore?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gets sore?

What makes you say that? I have never seen anything that designates the sheriff as the only CLEO
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I send mine to the chief of police for our city, but I've seen others send to the state police, local sheriff's office, state AG, etc.

What's important is that you make an honest effort to send the CLEO copy off to a current law enforcement official. Specifically what branch you choose (local, city, county, state) is your call and what they choose to do with said paperwork is irrelevant. My first F1 set was promptly thrown in the trash by a very polite and very confused admin assistant.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
What ATF needs to do is put who qualifies as a CLEO in the instructions on the damn form.
It could look like this:
Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the
Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction
over the area of the applicant’s address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In
addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form
5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire,
for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law
enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be
the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State
or local district attorney or prosecutor.
View Quote

Someone should write a letter to ATF.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
County Sheriff.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Find out who in your jurisdiction just throws the forms away or returns them. Send them to that person.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What ATF needs to do is put who qualifies as a CLEO in the instructions on the damn form.
It could look like this:

Someone should write a letter to ATF.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Find out who in your jurisdiction just throws the forms away or returns them. Send them to that person.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I send mine to the state ag.  Everytime they send me a letter basically telling me to stop sending it to them lol
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the county sheriff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I tried last time and they told me they don’t  know what I’m talking about and they don’t want my paperwork . My Cleo is just down the street so I can just pop in and let them know. If they don’t want it they don’t want it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I think silencer shop or my dealer used our State AG. He’s very pro gun
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried last time and they told me they don’t  know what I’m talking about and they don’t want my paperwork . My Cleo is just down the street so I can just pop in and let them know. If they don’t want it they don’t want it.
View Quote

How is this not the perfect scenario? You mail it to them, and they don't want it, so they return it or shitcan it.  Either way, you've met your burden, and your local LEO isn't keeping an inventory of your NFA stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How is this not the perfect scenario? You mail it to them, and they don't want it, so they return it or shitcan it.  Either way, you've met your burden, and your local LEO isn't keeping an inventory of your NFA stuff.
View Quote

I don’t mail it , that would cost me a stamp . I just swing by and say hi with the paperwork. I live in the country and its easier to just swing on by. I’m using the Chief of police on my next one because he’s only 5 minutes from my house vs the 15 min it takes to get to the county lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don’t mail it , that would cost me a stamp . I just swing by and say hi with the paperwork. I live in the country and its easier to just swing on by. I’m using the Chief of police on my next one because he’s only 5 minutes from my house vs the 15 min it takes to get to the county lol
View Quote
Different approaches, I guess

It's worth more than $0.55 to me to not provide the local COP with a contemporaneous inventory of my NFA items, and he's a very pro-gun COP.  My neighbors are all pro-gun, too, but I don't provide them with an inventory of my NFA items, either.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
The proper way to submit the CLEO copy to any anti gun CLEO (local or state) is with a Post It note attached with "Suck it!" written in Crayon.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#21]
My Form 1’s go to the local county Sheriff the Form 4’s I’ve done through SilencerShop kiosk go to the head of the state Highway Patrol. I don’t know which one is right and really don’t care. All my Form1’s and Form 4’s have been approved so I guess at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. I have heard that some people just throw the CLEO notification in the trash and those people swear there Forms get approved just like mine. Who knows. My guess is that the CLEO’s couldn’t care less and probably just chuck them. It’d be interesting to find out what’s the truth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I use the state attorney general. My local Sherriff keeps and files all Form 1/4's sent to him so he knows what's in his county. F that dude.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#24]
The other thing is that mail service is so crappy these days who’s to say the CLEO notification didn’t get lost?  Seems like these days about 1 in 10 things I send don’t make it where it’s going. Anymore anything I’m really concerned about mailing I just send priority so I have a tracking number.  When I send my prints to the ATF for my Form1’s I always send this priority whereas my CLEO notifications get sent regular mail.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top