Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2018 12:05:23 PM EDT
So what kit is better and why?

1. Beretta
2. Argentine W/barrel
3. Argentine W/O barrel

Thinking about getting one of these for a project down the road. But I don’t know a lot about them and looking for a point in the right direction

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So what kit is better and why?

1. Beretta
2. Argentine W/barrel
3. Argentine W/O barrel

Thinking about getting one of these for a project down the road. But I don’t know a lot about them and looking for a point in the right direction

Thank you
View Quote
i tried a paratrooper BM59 from nuovajaeger, they are exactly like the issued ones (with standard models, too). I don't know much about what the part kit is made of but i can tell you that the paratrooper BM59 is really nice, if you find a correspondent parts kit, take it :)
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the kit I bought:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1572160

Advertised as complete minus receiver and barrel. Shipping was free but there was a $5 handling fee. All parts are marked PB and finish is excellent. It is an ital. model so NOT the BM59E, which Sarco has. I'm using a receiver that I took off of a service grade M1 that came from the CMP last week (rifle appeared to be a CMP put together anyway, so no regrets and I'll sell all the M1 parts as a kit minus receiver) and I just ordered one of the ital. barrels from Sarco. Once the barrel comes in, it's off to Shufflin for modification/repark/assembly. Oh, Sarco also has BM59 mags for $24.98 each when you order 3. I like the looks and shorter length of the ital. rather than the E model. The collapsible stock on the para model looks cool and VERY uncomfortable. Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I didn't know there was a differance. Ya I want the shorter one. I thought hard about a mini g in 308 but the magazine option is nice. So it looks like I want a BM59. Now off to search for one of those kits
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I went with the BM59E kit with barrel from Sarco.  Essentially it is a M1 Garand that is mag fed.  Since the BM59 Ital kits don't have a barrel and no one is making barrels for it that don't have to be converted it will be cheaper.  The barrel that came with the kit was in great condition.  It came with new Italian Terni Arsenal handguards and stock that will need to be cut for the magazine.  This will cost you less than the Ital version since you need to source a barrel and it will probably need modified.  You can get a 7.62 NATO Garand barrel and have it modified.  These also come with a muzzle brake that they used on the select fire BM59E.

The BM59E or BM59SL is essentially a Garand with the barrel, op-rod, rear handguard and stock shortened approximately 1/2"  Everything else is USGI parts with the exception of the trigger housing which is cut for the BM59 mag.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The BM59 "E" model looks like a M1 Garand with a box magazine.
The ITAL model has the tri-comp grenade launcher, shorter barrel with bipod and grenade sights.
A paratrooper version of the ITAL which has a folding stock is another variation.

Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pics. Nice rifle JKH62. I like the looks of the BM59E but still can't decide which way to go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Barrels aren't that easy to find, but are available for the Ital models. Give Bula Defense a call. I also watched the Sarco website:

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/new-bm59-italian-barrels.aspx

I kept watching Sarco and ordered once they were back in stock. They were available for several days, maybe a week. My kit, barrel and M1 receiver are currently at Shuffs. He states 90 days, so I should get it back in August
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Just took the BM59 plunge myself-but I ordered one of the James River rifles. Wondering if anyone has seen a dummy selector like what can be had for an M1A? Have found actual selector assemblies but that's it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Send a doner M1 Garand to Shuff for conversion into a mag-fed 16.1" Mini-G.

Mine wears a Criterion tube, accepts M1A mags (which feed flawlessly), runs a Sig Romeo5 MRD on an Ultimak forward rail, and shoots great.

You can run a BM59 brake, Schuster M1 MB, or T-37FH, or no brake.   I opted for no brake to keep the weapon as compact as possible with the least amount of forward weight.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Nick you have my attention. We need some pics.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the Italian Issue kit from Gunparts/Numrich or one of the other vendors that has them.  The kits won't go down much in value even if you don't build.  I built one with a JRA receiver, it went together easily and works fine. Many of the parts were like new or new in wrap!  I got in on the Sarco barrels when they first started making them avialble

The gun itself is great  Loud on the indoor range with the brake - very smooth shooter.  I have a para stock for it too.  Standard Parts has some spares - get some.  In a few years these will likely be more collectible.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]
My JRA came in yesterday. Biggest flaw is the BM59 cartouche on the stock was mostly lost in the refinish..I can live with that. By random chance the serial number is the National Guard unit I was in, so it has some cool points that are only significant to a few people. Shown with my CMP M1.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top