Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]

You break in.... you get to see the top one.... Real briefly....

In the once in a life time break in.... I'm not using a pistol or Shotgun...

I want to win that fight as unfairly  and as quickly as possible...
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dead serious.  Cuz I was almost dead because of those POS'.
View Quote
care to expand on that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When home, the semi auto carbine is what I'll grab if time permits.  Usually the G19 is bedside.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/ARs_with_Tolz-548628.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/dscf2010-548631.JPG

At work in Astan, select fire URG and G17.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5053-548633.JPG

CD
View Quote
What's URG stand for?

<not a cloner
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dead serious.  Cuz I was almost dead because of those POS'.
View Quote
Was it from the lack of grammar?

Go on clark, please tell us the story. You've piqued my interest.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's URG stand for?

<not a cloner
View Quote
Upper Receiver Group ie 10.3" DD RIS II
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
10.5" SBR-not a clone, just a handy little short guy.

Nick
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Apparently 9mm, 45ACP and 00 buck has as much...if not more...penetration power than 5.56/223 after hitting modern home construction barriers.

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/12/63/91/01/woundp10.jpg
View Quote
Except we are not worried about how far the round penetrated AFTER going though a wall. Because that means we missed and hit the neighbor down the hall. That being said i have my AR15 loaded with 50gr varminters. Poly tip hollow point should do the job and as long as I dont miss may not even pass through.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably not GD approved for HD, but G19 with light and reloads (two G17 magazines) within reach.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Probably not GD approved for HD, but G19 with light and reloads (two G17 magazines) within reach.
View Quote
Have you never been to GD!? All is forgiven if it's the hurr durr  muh precious nineteenah hurr durr.

And this isn't GD by the way; you're in Tech. If you're comfortable with that, then why not? Most of the year it's a 320 .45 for me
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you never been to GD!? All is forgiven if it's the hurr durr  muh precious nineteenah hurr durr.

And this isn't GD by the way; you're in Tech. If you're comfortable with that, then why not? Most of the year it's a 320 .45 for me
View Quote
My bad. I read only the words "General" and "Discussion" in the forum title and used my 'Jump to Conclusions Mat' to conclude that I was posting in GD.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Except we are not worried about how far the round penetrated AFTER going though a wall. Because that means we missed and hit the neighbor down the hall. That being said i have my AR15 loaded with 50gr varminters. Poly tip hollow point should do the job and as long as I dont miss may not even pass through.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently 9mm, 45ACP and 00 buck has as much...if not more...penetration power than 5.56/223 after hitting modern home construction barriers.

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/12/63/91/01/woundp10.jpg
There are a gamut of tests that show that 223/5.56 has far less penetration through sheetrock (and possibly 2x4s for glancing shots) than most common handgun rounds (55gr vs 125-230grain).

A high-velocity, relatively light weight (50 - 60 grain) .223 bullet is less likely to over-penetrate and kill a neighbor in the next house or apartment then a larger pistol bullet at much lower velocity.

That's why SWAT teams have almost universally switched from 9mm sub-guns to .223 carbines for urban use.
Much less chance of over-penetration.
And a MUCH greater chance of a one-shot stop then with a handgun caliber pistol or sub-gun.

All things considered, an AR15 is a far more effective choice for home defense than a 9mm or 45ACP pistol. Even the length issue between a 1911 and a AR15 carbine is a wash as demonstrated by Clint Smith with his 1911 and a couple of shotguns.

Link Posted: 5/19/2018 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have serveral weapons staged for HD, in different places, but my go-to ARs are an issued MK18 and my own Commando 11.5" clone.

Depending on where I am at the time of the intrusion, I may employ a SAN SG 551, VEPR-12, or G36k instead.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There are a gamut of tests that show that 223/5.56 has far less penetration through sheetrock (and possibly 2x4s for glancing shots) than most common handgun rounds (55gr vs 125-230grain).

A high-velocity, relatively light weight (50 - 60 grain) .223 bullet is less likely to over-penetrate and kill a neighbor in the next house or apartment then a larger pistol bullet at much lower velocity.

That's why SWAT teams have almost universally switched from 9mm sub-guns to .223 carbines for urban use.
Much less chance of over-penetration.
And a MUCH greater chance of a one-shot stop then with a handgun caliber pistol or sub-gun.

All things considered, an AR15 is a far more effective choice for home defense than a 9mm or 45ACP pistol. Even the length issue between a 1911 and a AR15 carbine is a wash as demonstrated by Clint Smith with his 1911 and a couple of shotguns.

https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/12/63/91/01/screen24.jpg
View Quote
Exactly... this pic illustrates that well...Everybody wants to use their favorite tool....even if it's not the best choice based on empirical data that shows them the truth.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Exactly... this pic illustrates that well...Everybody wants to use their favorite tool....even if it's not the best choice based on empirical data that shows them the truth.
View Quote
Do you do anything to deal with the eardrum issue?  Peltors?  Don't care?  It looks like you're not doing cans.......  All I know is my M4gery is considerably louder than a longer barreled AR or a pistol...  And the concussion is as bad as a .308 with a longer barrel.  If my memory serves me correctly......

It does give me pause.  Will that be enough to disorient?   Not really sure.  I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to hear squat.  I've shot deer with .30 cal rifles.  They did have long barrels and I was outside.  I would say you get a somewhat short temporary hearing loss from the ringing.  But not necessarily completely, and not necessarily overly long.  But I'm not so sure it wouldn't be significantly worse inside a house with walls very close to you.  And a shorter barreled 5.56.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do you do anything to deal with the eardrum issue?  Peltors?  Don't care?  It looks like you're not doing cans.......  All I know is my M4gery is considerably louder than a longer barreled AR or a pistol...  And the concussion is as bad as a .308 with a longer barrel.  If my memory serves me correctly......

It does give me pause.  Will that be enough to disorient?   Not really sure.  I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to hear squat.  I've shot deer with .30 cal rifles.  They did have long barrels and I was outside.  I would say you get a somewhat short temporary hearing loss from the ringing.  But not necessarily completely, and not necessarily overly long.  But I'm not so sure it wouldn't be significantly worse inside a house with walls very close to you.  And a shorter barreled 5.56.....
View Quote
Auditory exclusion....

Anytime a fired a gun and forgot to wear hearing protection.... the first rd reminded me...  but anytime I was a bit keyed up shooting a live animal.... nada...

Would I do it a lot... I would hope not... but if that one event happens (and I pray is does not) and I'm in my house forced to lay down some death and destruction.... I'm not going to worry about it....

My choice...If I'm dead because I chose the wrong tool....hearing is the least of my worries...
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I am in a firefight inside my home...its because I am fighting for my life. I won't be giving much of a shit about donning my mickey mouses to save my hearing. I'm pretty sure I will be experiencing auditory exclusion during that time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
9" 300 blkout pistol.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
AR Pistol w/ 10.3" Androcorps upper and a direct thread can. Streamlight HLX in an IWC mount, and a Holosun red dot (I like the shake n' wake feature). It's nowhere near my most expensive or tricked out AR, but it's reliable, handy indoors, and I trust it.

Currently using Speer 55 grain Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#19]
16" larue stealth with trijicon accupoint 1-4
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn a lot of people are ready to give away NFA to the man
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
My life and hearing is worth a couple of tax stamps in an evidence locker.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:12:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Ideally, they'll just get back one I'm borrowing from the man.

But yeah, what SirSqueeboo said.
Bullets are cheap. Life is precious.
Well, unless said life is threatening me, my family, or other innocent people in a manner which would lead a reasonable person to believe they were in imminent danger of great bodily harm, or death.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bought the cheapest and heaviest can I could for my HD ar pistol. Statistically I'll never have to use it. If I do, that means I'm fighting to protect the lives of family members and myself. If that happens, I don't want a fair fight, I want every advantage I can get to prevail.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:34:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My life and hearing is worth a couple of tax stamps in an evidence locker.
View Quote
Yes, that too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:48:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I've never understood why there are people who cringe when people don't put a price on their lives and get the best to gain every edge they can on an intruder.

Don't want to do that? Fine, you do you and stop worrying about me. But speaking for myself, should the unfortunate happen, I'll get my stuff back after it's been declared legal in court. In my state, it's not an if, it's when we're getting it back. Fact.

And when I do have it back with a case number and finger fucked, I'm going to deactivate it and put it on a plaque on one of the walls and have inscribed "CONUS kill #1" and then put my other form 1 together and use that too for HD.

F with the peasant mentality. Take that S somewhere else along with your hot pockets. I'm going to use any edge I can because my life is worth more than being a peasant in mentality.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Well said, GSL.
lol at "CONUS kill #1"
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well said, GSL.
lol at "CONUS kill #1"
View Quote
Yeah that had me rollin
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't live in a dangerous area and I don't engage in dangerous activity that increases my chances of being the victim of a home invasion (like drug dealing).  Chances are I will never have to use my home defense guns.  If I ever do it will likely be a "once in a lifetime" event.  In that case I will happily waive goodbye to my SBR and suppressor for however long they are gone.  If I'm alive to miss them that in itself is a win.

I love my guns, but they are just things and can be replaced if necessary.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread totally makes me want a can.  I never really wanted one before.  How dumb of me....  LOL.  I just hate how expensive they are and you need the stamp too.  But our state is suppressor friendly, so I should see that as a good thing.  At least we have the opportunity to get one.

Do they make cans that attach to a normal A2 FH?  And not real long?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#30]
The Gemtech Halo will, but it's average length for a 5.56 can. I prefer QD muzzle devices, or a dedicated can like the Trek.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#31]
VP9 and a MK18-ish AR
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
VP9 and a MK18-ish AR
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:20:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Suppressed 10.5".  Aimpoint T-1, surefire mini-scout.  Vickers sling.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Either one of these even though I tend to use the pistol more since I can get it out of it's safe faster due to having to secure it (key in lock at night) away from my two year old.

I run 50gr Federal hollow points in the AR and 230gr HST in the 1911.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#35]
HD Gun is a 870 Police Magnum.  18" with mag extension.

Just so use to shotguns that it is a natural extension for me.  I shoot skeet with my son every other weekend if weather allows.

Very quick to aim and hit, and 12 gauge with Fed Tactical 00 or #1 buck is a quick fight stopper.

I'm all about inside the house and longest distance is from front door to street, which remains well inside optimum pattern distance.

For anything longer out that than, switch to slug or better yet switch to AR.

Just the Way I Roll...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
HD Gun is a 870 Police Magnum.  18" with mag extension.

Just so use to shotguns that it is a natural extension for me.  I shoot skeet with my son every other weekend if weather allows.

Very quick to aim and hit, and 12 gauge with Fed Tactical 00 or #1 buck is a quick fight stopper.

I'm all about inside the house and longest distance is from front door to street, which remains well inside optimum pattern distance.

For anything longer out that than, switch to slug or better yet switch to AR.

Just the Way I Roll...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
This is really what it boils down to. The Marine Corps didn't teach me to run a pistol or shotgun, not with my MOS.  They taught me to run an M16/M4 so naturally I am most comfortable with the AR manual of arms. It's something I don't have to think about, it's just natural.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:30:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I just have a set of electronic ear muffs on the wall... that way I have better hearing anyway and only take a 2 seconds to put on.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just have a set of electronic ear muffs on the wall... that way I have better hearing anyway and only take a 2 seconds to put on.
View Quote
I may go this route until I get a can.  What brand do you have?  I know it's one more step but I think in some scenario's it's doable and doesn't have to take very long.....

But a supressor would be better.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Idk if a suppressor is "better". It has disadvantages like increasing the length and weight of the weapon.

If the bad guy isn't expecting to get shot (at), it will be more disorienting for him to receive fire from an unsuppressed weapon. In a home, it kinda has a flashbang effect.

I just have them for personal enjoyment, and at work because they decrease long-term hearing loss (even with ear pro) and help prevent combustion of flammables (like a meth lab).

I guess in the event of widespread domestic crisis, I'd try to be kinda sneaky. (That's why the .mil uses them).
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Have mine hanging on the head board of the bed.

KISS setup. Light and BUIS only carbine. Also slung.

5.56 is not the first option for bump in the night scenarios. It's for when I know for a fact that I'm about to be overrun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#41]
What kind of electronic earpro are you guys buying?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What kind of electronic earpro are you guys buying?
View Quote
Howard Leight Impact.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Howard Leight Impact.
View Quote
Yep. Those are my cheapies. They work good but have a delay when setting the volume (which you must do when you turn them on). Also their NRR is pretty low (22).

I've also got the TCI Liberator III and Peltor ComTac II, but those are for tactical radio use.

I'd get a consumer grade set for HD use that will power-on instantly, to a preset volume, with at least a 24 NRR
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Beretta 92, Night sights and laser... long gun in the closet, Colt pattern 9MM PCC, with flashlight attached, and motion activated red dot. Both are secured when we all are not at home. That and the alarm system ( and dogs, and the local, see everything neighbors ) should help deter the few moments some one isn't home.

Everyone in the household is versed in manual of arms for the firearms available for HD.

147gr +P HST in the Beretta... Fed. 135gr Bonded +P in the carbine... both have proven to be exceedingly accurate.
View Quote
I like your choices as well!  Can we get a pic of your 9mm Colt patterned carbine?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#46]
well in my state its very much a IF and more likely a not at all to getting it back. and I don't know if running around with a long heavy suppressed rifle would be that much of an advantage in a home invader scenario. but go ahead, I never said don't do it, just surprised how many do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread totally makes me want a can.  I never really wanted one before.  How dumb of me....  LOL.  I just hate how expensive they are and you need the stamp too.  But our state is suppressor friendly, so I should see that as a good thing.  At least we have the opportunity to get one.

Do they make cans that attach to a normal A2 FH?  And not real long?
View Quote
The Griffin armament M4SD lineup will fit A2 flashhiders, that’s what’s on my ARX.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Sig 229 elite with 124 +P JHPs as the bedside, and a 16” middy aero build with an EXPS 2-0 close by. Someday I would love to have a canned SBR, but not in this state, obviously. I’m still home while I finish college, and my pops has a Benelli M4 with 00 buckshot and a Glock 23 close at hand as well. If something goes bump we should be okay . Yet that doorbell...
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Used to be an AR, now an X95.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Used to be an AR, now an X95.
View Quote
SBR length but has a longer barrel meaning better ballistics and a reduced silhouette, with the added positive of no tax stamp?

Tell me more if the above is true
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top