Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2018 12:34:14 PM EDT
I have several ACOGs, including 4x32 models, 1.5x16, 3.5x35, and 5.5x50.  I have no experience with either the higher mag ones (6x48 MGOs), nor the complex machinegun reticles available on some of the 3.5 or 4x models.

I know Trijicon makes the TA11MGO-M249, but frankly most of that reticle will rarely get used by me.  I can shoot out to 600m somewhat regularly, but longer distances than that are really rare for me.  To be honest, I think 70% of my recreational shooting will be 200m and less.  I'm thinking a different setup and reticle, with more focus/differentiation on the ranges I will actually shoot more often, might make more sense.

TA11MGO-M249

The same reticle is also available in the 4x32 platform.

What is anyone else using, and why?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The only ACOGs that would really work for the caliber while having more aiming holds inside 300 are the crosshairs models with 100, 200, and 300 aiming holds. It generally isn’t well thought of, as the 100 and 200 holds are so close together they kind of get in each other’s way.

You’re lucky in that the M249 has an ACOG made specifically for it. Id not overthink it, I’d get the 249 TA-11 MGO and rock it. TA-11’s are awesome optics anyway. I use the TA11GH-308 on my SCAR and it’s a match made in heaven. Even if there wasn’t a 249 specific ACOG, I’d probably go with the TA-11 series.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I ran a TA11J on mine for a bit, and it worked well.  Eventually moved the ACOG to the SCAR and put a MRO on the SAW.  Like that setup much better.  The SAW doesn't need any more weight to it, imo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ran a TA11J on mine for a bit, and it worked well.  Eventually moved the ACOG to the SCAR and put a MRO on the SAW.  Like that setup much better.  The SAW doesn't need any more weight to it, imo.
View Quote
This, you're right to go with Trijicon, just not the ACOG (for this application) the MRO is badass on a 249
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the TA11GH-308 on my SCAR and it’s a match made in heaven.
View Quote
Yep, I've got the same pairing and love it.

Lots of good points here so far, thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]

MRO is lower, has excellent battery life, and a very wide field of view.  Acog weighs more but is magnified with bullet drop.  Both optics wearing ADM mounts.

Both are winners, imo.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the TA11MGO on mine, just because I wanted some magnification and I prefer the horseshoe reticle on ACOGs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ImKzq6N.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XoKXCHj.jpg

MRO is lower, has excellent battery life, and a very wide field of view.  Acog weighs more but is magnified with bullet drop.  Both optics wearing ADM mounts.

Both are winners, imo.
View Quote
M249 is 17 pounds a box of 200 rounds is around 5 pounds I don't think a few ounces between a agog and mark make any difference...
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll respectfully disagree.  I definitely felt the difference in weight.  I also broke my support arm this past year, so maybe that had a little something to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 3:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a non-MGO TA11h-g with the M249 BDC but not reticle? It looks like a normal ACOG reticle but says 3.5 M249 on the bottom. I wish they would be more open with the BDC specs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got around to taking a photo, the TA11-MGO ACOG is great on the M249.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top