Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/30/2020 3:18:55 PM EDT
Prices seem all over the place... I'd say about 1/3 of people are listing them for as much or more  than you can just order one new from the manufacturer.

Gunbroker is... gunbroker.
Armslist is friggen mess - you need a PAID subscription to list guns AND to even contact a seller about a listing to make an offer.
ARFcom EE never seems to have more than one or two BMGs on it.

Is there a particular place that seems to attract a lot of 50BMG used sale ads?

EDIT:  this is now a vote for my next rifle thread.  Which should I get for these prices.

Barrett M99 ($4450)
Armalite AR-50A1 ($3000)
Serbu BFG-50 ($2600)
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Local shops often have one cheap used they are more so using as a conversation piece than a sale attempt as they know it will sit long
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought mine off of there.  March is the right time to buy off of there for a 50.  Some really good deals.

www.sturmgewehr.com
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
There’s no place that gets a lot of them because there aren’t many out there. Low volume guns hold their value and are harder to find.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Which one are you looking for?

Do you want a Barrett, Armalite, Serbu... could be someone here that's looking to sell theirs. Please don't post any for sale items here, take it to email or PM.

This could possibly help us to point you in the right direction.
View Quote

Pretty much one of those bolt guns from the big 3 .50BMG suppliers.  I've been shopping around and it's sad to say most of the used market thinks their guns are worth retail (or more).  So here's what I found as far as street pricing.  All are pretty much order and wait, at this point.  And this is now a vote for my next rifle thread.  Which should I get for these prices.

Barrett M99 ($4450)... well, it's a "Barrett".  Lots of curb appeal, the shortest of the bunch, should retain it's value well and has a very streamlined refined look and feel.  It actually balances pretty good in the hand considering it's a .50BMG

Armalite AR-50A1 ($3500)... Armalite makes quality rifles, best looking IMO, fantastic adjustable stock, and probably the least recoil... but it's 35LBS and makes the infamously long mosin nagant look like an SBR.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't physically fit in my safe.  I didn't get to handle one, but I have to image it's a chore and extremely front heavy.

Serbu BFG-50 ($2600)... Well, it's chambered in .50, so it's go that going for it.  And it's on the shorter side with (almost literally) half the weight of the AR50 - but that's a little worrisome given it's notably smaller muzzle brake.  Much less refined than the other two, but not too bad looking.  And it would also need "ordered" with a 6 month led time.  

I'd bite on a Bluegrass Firearms ViperXL under $4k, but they're uncommon enough that I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Well at least my vote counted here, the last election not so much.  I voted for the AR-50A1.  If you can really get one for $3500 I think that would be a great gun to have.  It would definitely be between the Barrett and the Armalite for me.  I like the 99 but I would not be comfortable shooting any reman ammo, ammo loaded with "once fired" brass, etc.  I just don't like the idea that the bullpup design puts that round going off right next to my face.   Maybe that's an unfounded concern but still don't like the idea.  The AR-50 is just massive so recoil and blast will be minimized greatly.   I also think the AR-50 being at a lower price point, would be very easy to sell if you change your mind later.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Just a side note.  Years ago I was interested in an AR-50 and always had the idea that I would make a "side saddle" ammo carrier for it like what's used on tactical shotguns.  It would hold maybe 2-5 rounds so that it could be reloaded very quickly.  I just thought it would be cool and look neat.  Good luck with your search!
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the AR50 camp but I'm a bit biased as I have one. However when i was hunting for a different 50 years ago i asked myself the same question you are now. I chose the AR50 partially due to economics, as the cost difference between it and a barrett will buy a lot of glass, ammo, reloading gear, or accesories.  I also think barrett gives up a little in the accuracy department but this can be debatable. And after having shot my AR50 you're gonna hate packing it around but you'll love that heft when you touch your first round off and discover it's quite tame.

I personally wouldn't consider the serbu as I hate breach loading. BTDT on my previous 50 and However if getting the rifle into your safe is a major concern the serbu will definitely fit. The AR50 definitely won't (unless you have a bank vault). edit: reading is fundamental and I'm talking about the RN50 here not the BFG 50 you listed

Just the limited opinions of a non professional distance shooter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When buying, you should look at a couple things. How long has the company been in business, how's their customer service, quality control...

Customer service should be #1 and quality #2. If their quality is lacking a little and you feel good after talking to CS, makes you feel better doesn't it? When 1& 2 suck ass, there's nothing they can usually do to make you happy.

Anyway, all 3 of them have quality and all the other stuff. Serbu is a little slower than the other 2 as he runs a smaller shop.

So let's break it down to what really matters, accuracy and looks. Looks is one point that probably matters the most. If you don't like the looks of something that you want to buy, regardless of how great it is, you're not going to be happy!

All 3 look good and I could be wrong but I would rate them in this order as far as looks go AR-50, M-99 and then the BFG.

Next would be accuracy, the AR-50 and M-99 are tied as they are both extremely accurate. The BFG is an accurate rifle but it's lighter weight and design hold it back on it's true potential.

A couple other issues you'll have to look at is price and availability. All 3 have wait times, we can all agree with that. I haven't checked on them in a long time but Serbu will have the longest, then Barrett and then Armalite.

Price, the M-99 is the most expensive of the 3. The AR-50 is 2nd and the Serbu the least expensive.

Now, if you go by all of this the AR-50 is the best choice, then the M-99 and the BFG 3rd. But what does it all mean? Nothing! Like I said, it's mostly personal choice on the one that you want.

When you really break it down, they're all so close to each other that personal preference is what it comes down to in the end.

I own an AR-50 and think it's a great rifle, great looks and performance. But there was another rifle that I wanted more than the AR-50. That rifle was the Daisy 600, manufactured by Iver Johnson. Best known as the AMAC-1500.

Here she is.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24023/images__2_-1771234.jpg
View Quote

Alot of good points and inline with my thinking.

If I had to list them in order which i want the most it'd probably be the ViperXL, then a tie between the M99 & AR50, then Serbu.

I don't compete. I'm not really interested in putting high end glass on it either; probably a cheap Super Sniper, Vortex PST II or HS LR, or even just a n red dot... at this point, I'm looking for grins.  So it's real hard to ignore the price of the Serbu given that want a "fun gun" and they're all effectively single-shot 50's.  I'm not thrilled about tubular appearance of the Serbu BFG-50... although numerous posters refer to their quality and finish as on par with the best top-end rifles in their safes, so that's nice to know.  I've ehard the Barrets are superbly finished and the only one I've heard mixed reviews about fit/finish on are the AR-50s, which is surprising to me because i've handles AR-30s in the past and they are cool guns.  I'm planning to call Serbu monday and see if they'll nitride the barrel/receiver/bolt on an order and what it might cost extra (I've heard of them doing this in the past).

I do think the AR50 looks a tad cooler than the M99 but shit... it's 35 pounds before accessories.  Its actually impressive the thing still weighs that much with the polymer fore end, normal length 30" barrel, and skeletonized stock.  If the AR50 were in the 25-28 pound rnge like the other two, I would have ordered one a month ago.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. The Viper was made to look like the M95, but the pressed in barrel and bolt was copied from the M99. A previous purchasing agent contacted the company that ended up manufacturing the Viper, and sourced them to make parts.
I had warned him they were trying to make a .50, and he was handing them free R&D. I really believe there was something else going on, but had no way to prove it.

The Viper was a decent single shot from Bluegrass Armory.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Viper is basically an M-99, they used to be a parts manufacturer for Barrett. I think they made the stock and some other small parts.

Maybe 50cal knows what they did for Barrett. Anyway, they decided to make their own .50 and the rest is history.

I think one of the guys that I shoot with had a plate made to fit on the fore end of the BFG. That way he had a flat surface to put on a rifle rest or sandbag. This and the other stuff will help improve the accuracy.

Mark will also install a heavy barrel and match chamber if you want to pay the extra cost. Another thing is the trigger, ask Mark about getting a custom one for the BFG. I'm pretty sure they did it in the past, so if you want one...
View Quote

While accuracy and triggers are nice, they're probably #3/#4 on my list of what's I care about.  I'm most liable to stick a red dot on this thing at first and primarily use it for wrecking dumb shit at <100yds until I get better and learn to shoot it further... then I can wreck toilets and steel at 1500 yards

I was only going to ask Mark if he could Nitride the Barrel/Brake/Body/Bolt because I'm a bit cavalier when it comes to detail cleaning my guns.  So nitride goes a LONG way towards making sure a gun lasts nearly forever in the wear and corrosion because I doubt I'll shoot the barrel out in my lifetime.  If a trigger upgrade is doable though for a nominal cost bump, I'd probably do it.

@50cal don't the barretts have chrome lined chambers/bores?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@50cal don't the barretts have chrome lined chambers/bores?
View Quote

Years ago, all the rifles had nothing but chrome lined chambers. They started a move to choke lining the whole barrel. Not sure if they do now or not. Someone with a new rifle can easily say by removing the brake and checking the bore with a touch of cold blue.
The XM109 25mm bore and chamber were chrome lined. I do remember that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:40:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I was close enough to getting the M99 that I called around and found a shop that could order one for me... but I stumbled across a .50cal AR upper that actually looks really nice.  It looks alot better than the SHTF/Ligamec and now I'm leaning entirely in that direction.

McCutchen MF-50
<$3K Single shot
$3.5K side-mag fed

It's goldilocks-sized; weighs right between the Serbu and M99 (WAY lighter than the AR50) and the length is right between the Serbu/M99 and the AR50.  Normal handguards and match stock give it a much sharper look and more usefulness than the Serbu... although it's still not as cool as the AR50 or iconic as the M99.  Close but not quite.  Although it does come with that that awesome tank brake and the PRS-3 stock & standard handguards are going to be far more useful than the other three's stocks/forends.  Pricing is only $400 more than the Serbu and $500 less than the AR50 and about 1-1.5k less than the M99.

One big bonus is that it says the McCutchen barrel is 4140CM nitride steel and users seem to report MOA or better groups or better with quality ammo.  And, you can get into a mag-fed (albeit goofy on the side) for only $3500.

I think the only real question now is: Single Feed or Mag Fed?

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:09:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget that you'll feel more recoil with the lighter rifle.

You might want to factor in the cost of a scope, bipod, rings, and case too. I went with the 32" Barrett 99 package that came with the scope. I got it for less with all of that included and I didn't have to sight it in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't forget that you'll feel more recoil with the lighter rifle.

You might want to factor in the cost of a scope, bipod, rings, and case too. I went with the 32" Barrett 99 package that came with the scope. I got it for less with all of that included and I didn't have to sight it in.
View Quote

Not too worried about the recoil with lighter weight. That's part of the fun, no? Plus I have to imagine that tank brake is pretty decent.

I have a Pelican 1750 laying around I don't use and a Harris HBRS - I can't imagine a steel Harris bipod failing.  I'd love to stick a VLTOR Modpod (very cool bipods) on it but their use of polymer makes me nervous on a 50.  I'd probably try to find a used SWFA SS 10x or 20x scope in some Vortex Pro rings to toss on there to begin with until I can scrape together enough for an actual decent LR scope.  They're both inexpensive and rugged.

One cost is going to be eventually dropping in a HiperFire Reflex trigger.
a) The dual spring cammed hammer hits primers HARD - which I've read is a big deal for BMG uppers.
b) They are simply awesome precision triggers with zero take up & creep.  They shame pretty much every other AR trigger except the AR Gold & Timney (while hitting much quicker/harder than them)... definitely better than my G triggers.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would go with the mag fed option if you can afford it. I mean, why the hell not right?!

If Armalite made an AR-50 that was mag fed, I would've spent the extra money to have one. Hell, if they made one that was belt fed I would've sold my left nut for one.

Just remember that if you want custom loads made for it, they'll have to be single fed. Seating them deep enough to fit into the mag kinda screws up seating them long enough to be just off the rifling.
View Quote

Yeah, it just seems a bit goofy hanging off the side.  Is it going to balance poorly? Do I need a QD scope mount so I can pull the optic off just to get this thing into a pelican case with that big magwell hanging off the side?  There's probably going to be noticeably more bolt drag.  At least it uses standard high quality AI mags - I think if it was some goofy proprietary mag like other side-feeds use I'd definitely skip it.  Then again, it's not like buying a "budget 50" is a practical endeavor...

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Does it use a standard hammer? Seem to remember someone telling me you couldn’t just slap the 50 uppers on any lowers. Maybe it was just a hammer spring but I thought it was something that wouldn’t work with a 223/556 upper
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does it use a standard hammer? Seem to remember someone telling me you couldn’t just slap the 50 uppers on any lowers. Maybe it was just a hammer spring but I thought it was something that wouldn’t work with a 223/556 upper
View Quote

I recall reading the bmg primers needing more force/inertia and some hammers hammers can be too fat to fit through the bolt slot without rubbing.

MBTs are nice triggers, and have pretty thin tool steel plate hammers; an XP hammer spring in an MBT might be just the ticket.

Hiperfires hit primers very hard with the cammed hammer, have thinner hammers too, reduce lock time by 25-50% and simultaneously have very little bolt drag.  I highly recommend that people try out a Hiperfire Reflex (or better) shimmed to eliminate ANY pre/post travel.  It's legitimately as nice as a Remington 700 Timney trigger for only ~$200 (about the same cost as a geissele).    

Either would be a significant upgrade over a milspec-style trigger and I have both I can swap out of another lower for testing if I get a BMG upper.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On the lower you'll need to remove some parts and add others, so it's better to have a dedicated lower for the upper.

On the 50 BMG primers, yes, you'll need a heavier hammer to hit the primers. If not, you'll end up having to re-cock it and fire again if they don't fire the first time.
View Quote

I'm planning to buy the complete rifle if I get the McCutchen.

It's only $500 more for the whole Mag Fed Rifle than just the MF-50M upper.  That includes a $250 PRS stock, $25 receiver extension, $50 LPK, and a significant Buttpad upgrade ($99).  That's a no brainer.  Especially when regular AR lowers look goofy on bmg uppers, are debatably weaker, and may be subject to AWB legislation in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not too worried about the recoil with lighter weight. That's part of the fun, no? Plus I have to imagine that tank brake is pretty decent.

I have a Pelican 1750 laying around I don't use and a Harris HBRS - I can't imagine a steel Harris bipod failing.  I'd love to stick a VLTOR Modpod (very cool bipods) on it but their use of polymer makes me nervous on a 50.  I'd probably try to find a used SWFA SS 10x or 20x scope in some Vortex Pro rings to toss on there to begin with until I can scrape together enough for an actual decent LR scope.  They're both inexpensive and rugged.

One cost is going to be eventually dropping in a HiperFire Reflex trigger.
a) The dual spring cammed hammer hits primers HARD - which I've read is a big deal for BMG uppers.
b) They are simply awesome precision triggers with zero take up & creep.  They shame pretty much every other AR trigger except the AR Gold & Timney (while hitting much quicker/harder than them)... definitely better than my G triggers.

View Quote

I'd say the recoil is better than a 12 ga. With mine, it just feels like someone giving a real firm push against my shoulder. The blast is a different story though. There's no way of getting around that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#27]
If I wanted to get a 50 just to say I have a 50 and its just a "range toy" I'd vote for the barrett.  

If I want any type of good accuracy, able to trade out the trigger, and have a better overall quality rifle, my vote is the ar50.  

I'm more of a precision rifle type person but for a 50, just because it's tough to find places to shoot let alone go for "accuracy at a long distance " id just get the barrett.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A red dot is fine, MrBen that posts here uses one on his rifle. Me and him shoot together and I've shot the rifle with it.

Making hits on 400 yard targets is easy once you get used to using the red dot.
View Quote

I also have used a comp m4 (2moa) red dot on my Barrett and it's definitely fun and usable. I've only shot to 200 with it so far, but if your eye sight is up to snuff there's no reason you can't make hits at double that range and beyond.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I FOed tonight on a McCutchen MF50SC (single shot) with the massive AR50 Brake.  The mag fed repeater was only $550 more, but I'm going to use that $550 towards a better trigger, rings, and a few cans of 4:1 M33/M17 linked ammo to start building my pile of brass.  Might pick up a few dozen rounds of APIT to keep around, too.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top