Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2022 1:57:49 AM EDT
With the synthetic frame, where should I get my name and location engraved?  Are barrels still an option?

Thinking about a B&T USW GLK Conversion kit!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Anywhere on the frame that you want to that is visible without disassembly.
NFA engraving on a barrel was never an option IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Well a plus on this is you can save a hundred bucks and engrave the polymer lower yourself real easily
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Tar Heel State Firearms can probably fit the markings on the existing serial number plate if they aren't to long. Send them an email.

@BigWaylon maybe able to speak to their abilities as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

There are 4 explicitly named parts that are acceptable for NFA engraving.
Barrel, frame, slide, receiver.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would suck because a bunch of mine are on the barrel. :) the barrel is fine but that just means that barrel has to be on there when there's a stock on it which limits your options. Not a big deal for a cz scorpion, but annoying for an Ar-15 or a Glock where the uppers are swapped out easily.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That would suck because a bunch of mine are on the barrel. :) the barrel is fine but that just means that barrel has to be on there when there's a stock on it which limits your options. Not a big deal for a cz scorpion, but annoying for an Ar-15 or a Glock where the uppers are swapped out easily.
View Quote

Just label multiple barrels.

It’s practically free if you electroetch or do it yourself.

All you’re writing on the barrel is the Name & Location... the caliber is typically already stamped on the barrel and the SN you register is the SN on the frame/receiver.  No law says you can’t have a dozen short AR15 barrels engraved with your name and location.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah but by me it's $40 per engraving at the shop unless I get out the Parkinson's style Dremel engraver.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I did the bottom of my trigger guard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I engrave the slide.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Does this stuff apply?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
or is this more of a "maker" vs "manufacturer/importer" thing?

I swear they try and make this stuff as difficult as possible to understand.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
or is this more of a "maker" vs "manufacturer/importer" thing?

View Quote

As finalized, that rule only affects licensees. ATF will need to update 27 CFR § 479.102 for the new rules to apply to non-licensee NFA "makers"
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does this stuff apply?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/246790/Screenshot_20220511-104015_PDF_Reader_jp-2379805.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/246790/Screenshot_20220511-103930_PDF_Reader_jp-2379806.JPG or is this more of a "maker" vs "manufacturer/importer" thing?

View Quote

You can stop reading after the first 5 words.  "Licensed manufacturers or importers".

The ATF's NFA handbook says the barrel is good to go.  https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-atf-p-53208/download

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can stop reading after the first 5 words.  "Licensed manufacturers or importers".

The ATF's NFA handbook says the barrel is good to go.  https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-atf-p-53208/download
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And the second part only applies to SNs on polymer.

The NFA Handbook is full of errors and now a decade out of date. Throw it away.

This will be another out of date example on 8/24/2022.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top