Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2022 7:26:39 PM EDT
After 1 year and 2 weeks, my baby is out of jail.

To avoid any change of running afoul of the law, where should I keep my stamp?  Range bag, so its always with the device (suppressor?)  Gun safe, so its safer, but I need to remember to bring whenever the device leaves the safe?

Let me know your 'best practices."
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep mine in the safe. Nothing says you have to have the paperwork with you. I don't ride around with the title to my car either.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Origin copies stay in the safe, reduced sized copies are folded in a small ziplock bag and in the pistol grip or stock of each gun.

I also have them on my phone.

Once my suppressors are out of jail I’ll probably just keep copies in a envelope in my range bag.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
In the safe in a folder. Also have an album on phone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep originals in the safe and color copies in my car since I'll never be without my car if I'm with my guns.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originals in safe, copies in the range bags, and scans on the phone.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originals in safe.
Full sized copies in a three ring binder.
Full sized copies stored "in the cloud" whatever that means.
Reduced size copies, laminated and hole punched kept on a carabiner latched to my range bag.
Photo copies kept on my cell phone.
.pdf copies on a thumb drive that I store in my prison wallet.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]
ATF can dig out their copy if they want to have a look.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep mine in the safe. Nothing says you have to have the paperwork with you. I don't ride around with the title to my car either.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ATF can dig out their copy if they want to have a look.
View Quote

ATF will be the last ones to ask to see your Class III License.

Most likely to ask is the retired guy who volunteers as the local Range Nazi because they let him mine the berms for lead.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ATF will be the last ones to ask to see your Class III License.

Most likely to ask is the retired guy who volunteers as the local Range Nazi because they let him mine the berms for lead.
View Quote

And I would tell him to pound sand…

Two people I would be willing to show my paperwork to…

-ATF agent after seeing their badge/credentials
-IRS agent after seeing their badge/credentials

Shy of that, I don’t show tax documents to random people. Not starting now.

PDF on the phone for each tax stamp/paperwork. Originals in safe place. I plan on doing a binder with copies… but probably once I get Form 1s done. Three suppressors in a binder, just seems odd… I want a collection of stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originals are stored in the safe. I have a trust with several individuals so I scan the stamps,trusts and schedule A into my Google drive and give everyone access that way.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Safe and scans. I have a three ring binder in a zipper case for copies of all the paperwork if I head somewhere that might want to see it, but I have like 50 stamps, I think three trusts, etc, so organization is key.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Firebox in the safe. Laminated copies in a desk drawer.  Shrunk and laminated copies in the wallet.  

No dickheads left at the range to ask for them anymore, so I haven't busted them out in years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I keep the originals in the safe and in one of these

Fire/water resistant storage pouch

Copies are in my range bag or backpak, also in one of the storage pouches.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Originals stay in the gun safe. I scan them as a pdf to a seperate gallery file in my pictures.
I also keep a copies in my range bag.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:21:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Photo copy in range bag, not that I would likely show it to anyone, and anyone pushy enough to force the issue would likely have less credentials than myself....

Scan copy on computer.

Actual stamp inside fire rated gun safe, inside a fire resistant pouch, and also inside a high temp resistant plastic bag to keep out any water or vapor from drywall vapor release during a fire.  (The bag is literally a turkey cooking bag).  Most fire safes get pretty bad inside during a fire, and if that hot water vapor turns guns into instant rust buckets, it surely would not be great for pieces of paper.

Maybe overkill, but it is cheap insurance.  I do the same with other documents I want to protect.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Scan a copy into the computer and keep them in a folder with the rest of my paperwork.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All rolled up together and buried in a mason jar in the backyard. Fingers-crossed Nic Cage doesn’t have a reason to want to find them. NT3?
View Quote

OOOOOOHHHH....... I like that.
Would a peanut bitter jar work?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All rolled up together and buried in a mason jar in the backyard. Fingers-crossed Nic Cage doesn't have a reason to want to find them. NT3?
View Quote
I run mine through the shredder and toss all the clippings together in a big bag.  If anyone wants to see my forms they can go for it.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Has prison wallet been suggested yet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Has prison wallet been suggested yet?
View Quote
Yes

Since mine are all 'E' so far, I just let AFT keep them for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originals in a fire box, copies in safe, and scanned in as PDFs with copies on my phone.

As I understand the situation in Virginia, the ATF isn't the only one who can demand to see proof that an NFA item is possessed in compliance with Federal law - any Virginia LE agency can do so within the boundaries of the Commonwealth.  Justification - many types of NFA items are illegal in VA with an exception for items possessed in compliance with Federal law, so a VA LEO can ask to see proof of Federal compliance to see if you qualify for the exception...and if you can't prove that you qualify, you might have a bad day or two until you can.

And no, I'm not a lawyer, so you are getting what you are paying for here, but that's how it was explained to me.  

For example, what makes an SBR generally illegal in VA, before they get into various exceptions:  

§ 18.2-300. Possession or use of "sawed-off" shotgun or rifle.

A. Possession or use of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle in the perpetration or attempted perpetration of a crime of violence is a Class 2 felony.

B. Possession or use of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle for any other purpose, except as permitted by this article and official use by those persons permitted possession by § 18.2-303, is a Class 4 felony.
View Quote

King's men exceptions are listed in § 18.2-303, as referenced above.  The exception that applies to the little people, who have a tax stamp:

§ 18.2-303.1. What article does not prohibit.

Nothing contained in this article shall prohibit or interfere with the possession of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle for scientific purposes, the possession of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle possessed in compliance with federal law or the possession of a "sawed-off" shotgun or "sawed-off" rifle not usable as a firing weapon and possessed as a curiosity, ornament, or keepsake.
View Quote

Also relevant:

§ 18.2-299. Definitions.

When used in this article:

"Sawed-off rifle" means a rifle of any caliber, loaded or unloaded, which expels a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is designed as a shoulder weapon with a barrel or barrels length of less than 16 inches or which has been modified to an overall length of less than 26 inches.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#26]
In the safe.

I don't go to a real range very often as I have thousands of acres of public lands on my back door but my last outing I brought an SBR and the old dude running the range that day was only interested in how to build one for himself
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Pics on my phone.

Reduced size copies in safe & range bag.

Originals in safe deposit box.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All rolled up together and buried in a mason jar in the backyard. Fingers-crossed Nic Cage doesn’t have a reason to want to find them. NT3?
View Quote

Pretty sure that if you don't use a Hellmann's mayonnaise jar your being non compliant.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After 1 year and 2 weeks, my baby is out of jail.

To avoid any change of running afoul of the law, where should I keep my stamp?  Range bag, so its always with the device (suppressor?)  Gun safe, so its safer, but I need to remember to bring whenever the device leaves the safe?

Let me know your 'best practices."
View Quote

Congrats on your new can. Stamp collecting can get addicting. Beware lol.

As far as managing the paperwork... I keep all originals in a safety deposit box in a bank vault. The copies I keep in a book report cover with plastic page protectors and keep it in the gun safe. When it's time to go out and bust a few caps I just grab the book report cover with said copies inside and toss it in the range bag. Copies should get you through any encounter that causes you to produce the document. If it doesn't you probably have a lot bigger problems at hand. Lots of good advice in this thread, I would just say whatever way you chose to manage your stamp(s) I would not (personally) take the original out with me. The original is your proof, or as close as your going to get that the item is registered. The registry has been messed up for years. I'm not personally comfortable having the originals on or with me, copies should suffice if for some reason I need to produce something showing everything is on the up and up. All of that said, with the new eForms process it sounds like your paperwork with approval is all electronic and you just print it so no more real stamps per se. I will still be keeping paperwork in 2 locations.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#31]
On a boat with all my guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that if you don't use a Hellmann's mayonnaise jar your being non compliant.
View Quote

If you use Hellmanns you don't deserve stamps. Dukes or nothing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Adobe Scan to save a PDF on my iPhone/iCloud.

I don't want to manage physical copies that can get lost. As noted, very few people have a legitimate need to view them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#35]
In the safe in a binder.
Same with copies in the safe in a binder.
When i go out i grab the binder with copies and take that.
Then i don't have to worry if i have the right copy with me since i grabbed them all.

Also makes for a good look on shitheads faces if they ask if you have a form for it.

Just thumb through real slow and say ahhh her it is. X amount back.

It shuts them the fuck up.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Originals in safe
No copies made

AFT can search their records if that dire
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Besides ATF, lots of states have laws that outlaw ownership of NFA items unless you've gone through the NFA stamp process.  So it's not only the worst Federal agency that can arrest you for not having gone through the process, it's state police as well.

Odds of this happening are very low, but highly impactful, as depending on where you are, if you're arrested for not being able to prove to some local yokel you're gone through the NFA process, you items will be seized, and then you're fighting a difficult battle to get them back, even once you do show your stamps.

Myself, I make copies of all the forms, laminate them for longevity, and have them in my car in case I ever need to show and tell.  Cops are at their heart bureaucrats, and bureaucrats are in love with forms and paperwork - it's like throwing a dog a bone to gnaw on, so having physical forms is a plus over tiny little photos in your phone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I keep originals in the safe and color copies in my car since I'll never be without my car if I'm with my guns.
View Quote

You know, that is good thinking right there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Originals are in a firebox inside one of my gun safes.

Copies are in my NFA paperwork are in a 3-ring binder that I grab whenever I go shooting.   I personally prefer paper records as I don't want to have to give me phone over to LE and/or try and scroll/zoom around on a small screen for them to try and read the form.

That said, I am not worried about coming across a BATFE agent at the range or ranch as the odds a BATFE agent pulls me over for speeding or is staking out my personal range is probably close to zero odds.  

Based off my personal experience over the past 20+ years its always been a Local LE interaction in regards to NFA firearms.  I carry my paperwork in the event I come across another inquisitive State, Local, or Game agent.    In Texas there is a State law that most NFA firearms are only legal if Federally registered.

Thankfully the Texas law changed a couple years ago so that its no longer a "defense to prosecution" scenario but possession of  NFA firearms and their requisite ATF paperwork are still legally treated in  similar to hunting and having hunting license.   If you are hunting, purchased a license, but don't have it on you when questioned by LE you could be cited and/or your firearm(s) confiscated until you sort it out in court.  For me, its a lot easier to just keep copies of my NFA paperwork with me when shooting (similar to having your hunting license on you when hunting) to keep any potential local LE interactions as friction free as possible.

Just my nickles worth.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Just got my Eform 4 back, so I can finally chime in

I have two copies in my safe, they both stay there unless I’m going to the range, then I bring a copy with me. One copy is always in the safe no matter what. I also have uploaded the PDF to the cloud and have it saved on my phone.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't personally keep copies of my paperwork in my car all the time.   I guess it depends upon where you live and the risk for auto break-in's/theft  but for those who live in major metro areas where auto break-in's and theft are an ever present risk I wouldn't want to have what basically amounted to receipts in my car about all of the exotic firearms I owned and the location they are registered/stored at.

Vehicles and/or their contents in major metro areas are criminal magnets.  Just the same as I wouldn't keep APMEX receipts from gold bullion purchases in my glovebox, I don't personally keep copies of my NFA firearm paperwork unattended in my vehicle either as I wouldn't want  criminals to be in any way encouraged for a potential follow up burglary or home invasion to get the guns should my vehicle get broken into or stolen.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Originals (actual stamps,) and copies of the PDF's that came via email in the safe.

All stamps scanned into the workstation computer as well.

Copies in the ranges bags.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Congrats on your new can. Stamp collecting can get addicting. Beware lol.

As far as managing the paperwork... I keep all originals in a safety deposit box in a bank vault. The copies I keep in a book report cover with plastic page protectors and keep it in the gun safe. When it's time to go out and bust a few caps I just grab the book report cover with said copies inside and toss it in the range bag. Copies should get you through any encounter that causes you to produce the document. If it doesn't you probably have a lot bigger problems at hand. Lots of good advice in this thread, I would just say whatever way you chose to manage your stamp(s) I would not (personally) take the original out with me. The original is your proof, or as close as your going to get that the item is registered. The registry has been messed up for years. I'm not personally comfortable having the originals on or with me, copies should suffice if for some reason I need to produce something showing everything is on the up and up. All of that said, with the new eForms process it sounds like your paperwork with approval is all electronic and you just print it so no more real stamps per se. I will still be keeping paperwork in 2 locations.
View Quote

FIFY.....take a picture, keep on your phone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a binder with originals of my trust and all stamps, the binder stays in my gun room. I scanned the entire binder and have the pdf on my phone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I have never done NFA as an individual so I am assuming that your .gov ID is good enough proof to go along with your stamp docs.

But for those of you that have your stamps under a trust, do you keep a copy of your trust with your stamp copies?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have never done NFA as an individual so I am assuming that your .gov ID is good enough proof to go along with your stamp docs.

But for those of you that have your stamps under a trust, do you keep a copy of your trust with your stamp copies?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I converted mine to micro film so I wouldn't have to carry  my stamps.  If someone wants to see them, they are more than welcome.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not the whole trust
. Both of mine have a Certification of Trust which is only a couple pages, and that’s all I ever have available.
View Quote

Same.  The folks at NGT told me the first 8 pages of their template are good enough for ATF eForms, so that PDF is what I keep with my stamp PDFs.  Would be a bit more work if all your stuff was single shot, but my items are on a single trust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top