Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2020 4:44:49 PM EDT
If any of you are using the franklin binary trigger, I'm sure you had to use loctite on the selector screws like I did.

If you don't the screws just back out and your selector falls off every time you shoot it

So I went to switch my trigger pack to a pictogram housing, and after using a heat gun, still managed to strip my screw head on the left selector side. They're just a tiny allen key screw

So after and failing to remove it with sensible methods...out came the dremel. Cut a slot in the screw and used a flat head screwdriver. Of course I ruined the safety delete, but I won't be using that anymore anyway.

Finished product

Also today I learned, my MKE receiver is definitely out of spec. Even the MKE lower housing doesn't line up right. I've always struggled with the push pins so I suspected as much
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Those screws  were a stupid idea.

1 they are metric
2 allen screws that small always strip/break.

They should have used a small roll pin to hold the selector on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those screws  were a stupid idea.

1 they are metric
2 allen screws that small always strip/break.

They should have used a small roll pin to hold the selector on.
View Quote
Yeah they really are. And I just had to order two more for $7

I do love the trigger, but I noticed the design flaw the first time I shot it and the screws came loose. The selector was barely hanging on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]
That sucks. I never had an issue with any of my screws loosening. I have 2 of the HK and a Scorpion.

Did you have to change the hole size in the picto lower?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That sucks. I never had an issue with any of my screws loosening. I have 2 of the HK and a Scorpion.

Did you have to change the hole size in the picto lower?
View Quote
Nope it's obviously oversized, but the binary mechanism doesn't need to actually contact the trigger housing in any way to function.
The custom Smith levers cover up the hole completely. With the included Franklin levers you can see the hole and it looks sloppy.

My only complaint with the custom Smith levers is they didn't recess the screw slot. I had to put the screw through the selector first then tighten down. But what's annoying is if you tighten the screw fully you can't turn the selector. Definitely gonna need loctite again. Might drill the whole to recess well see
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought two extra in anticipation of one day stripping them

So far I haven't had to use them
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#6]
DO they all need loctited? Or is it just ops?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
DO they all need loctited? Or is it just ops?
View Quote
I have never used any and so far I haven't had any screws back out.

I just put one little ugga into it once it starts getting tight. But not enough to strip it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Love the Smith levers.  Wish they would make an extended left side lever that would contact the claw mount bump as a safety stop.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm waiting on some jb weld to cure on my current solution.  Dremel is next step if that fails...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top