Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2020 1:49:53 PM EDT
Just submitted my first form 1 (e-Form) for an SBR.  System seemed slow but painless to complete. When do I provide a copy of the form 1 to my CLEO? When I submit the form to ATF or when I get the approval.  Is it necessary to show proof I provided him a copy? I live in a rural gun friendly area - I was just going to drop a copy off at the office, is that OK or do I need written receipt?
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I just take a picture of the addressed envelope before I drop it in the mail.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Just send a copy via US Mail.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I mail mine a copy as soon as I submit the eform 1.  mine tells me he doesn't even read them and throws them away.
He said just email me and quit wasting my time with mail.
he's going to just delete the email anyway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to send it to them after you submit your form, obviously, and before you get an approval. This allows your local LE agency to run their own background check, if they want to, before the ATF approves the stamp. I normally mail mine off at the same time that I mail my fingerprint cards.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to send it to them after you submit your form, obviously, and before you get an approval. This allows your local LE agency to run their own background check, if they want to, before the ATF approves the stamp. I normally mail mine off at the same time that I mail my fingerprint cards.
View Quote

Same here.  I just drop mine in the mail.  Don’t bother with tracking or anything.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

@firepyro515
Could you please provide us with the written guidance from the ATF that states that we have to send our CLEO with the information BEFORE you get an approval
OR
Is that just your opinion and not a written ATF fact?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@firepyro515
Could you please provide us with the written guidance from the ATF that states that we have to send our CLEO with the information BEFORE you get an approval
OR
Is that just your opinion and not a written ATF fact?
View Quote

@FastCar

The law states that the notification must be sent to the CLEO prior to submitting the Form 1/4 to the Director. So really, it needs to be sent before the form hits an examiners desk/computer. With a form 4, that is easy as the forms get sent to Portland first and payment is processed and then they sit in a stack until an examiner checks it. For the Form 1, you have a little less time, so mailing it shortly after you submit isn't a bad idea.

I only included a screenshot for the section that pertains to the form 1. I would be more than happy to go and grab the one that pertains to the form 4 if you don't believe me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@FastCar

The law states that the notification must be sent to the CLEO prior to submitting the Form 1/4 to the Director. So really, it needs to be sent before the form hits an examiners desk/computer. With a form 4, that is easy as the forms get sent to Portland first and payment is processed and then they sit in a stack until an examiner checks it. For the Form 1, you have a little less time, so mailing it shortly after you submit isn't a bad idea.

I only included a screenshot for the section that pertains to the form 1. I would be more than happy to go and grab the one that pertains to the form 4 if you don't believe me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145596/479_62_JPG-1754961.JPG
View Quote
Thank you. I was waiting to send mine in when it got approved but it seems that was the wrong move, gonna print and send now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I just walk in and drop it off the day after I pay the ATF.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
No proof is required.
Hand-delivered, mail, and email are all acceptable methods.

At my agency we just throw them away.
If someone requested a receipt we'd provide it, but so far nobody has asked.

This isn't something that ATF follows up on. They wouldn't know which CLEO you chose to notify anyway (since it could be municipal all the way up to state level).
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Except that you provide the name, title and department of the CLEO when you submit?
Not saying they follow-up, but they'd know where to start.
View Quote
You're right. I forgot they added that field.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I mail mine off either at the same time I send the prints to BATF, or within a few days of the latter. Your obligation is to mail the CLEO copy and nothing more. If the department you mail it to throws it in the trash without ever opening it, that's their business. You've done your part the second you drop the CLEO copy in the mailbox.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I mail mine off either at the same time I send the prints to BATF, or within a few days of the latter. Your obligation is to mail the CLEO copy and nothing more. If the department you mail it to throws it in the trash without ever opening it, that's their business. You've done your part the second you drop the CLEO copy in the mailbox.
View Quote

Which is dumb if we have to send them in and they just trash em...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

ATF didn't want to deny CLEOs an opportunity to give their “2 cents” regarding an applicant.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better that than having to get the approval of a CLEO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, as others have said, I think their rationale is they want to give the CLEO a chance to see if the applicant is a trouble maker (IE a sheriff in a small town who knows everyone by name), even if he/she may not have a disqualifying record. And any time they can add complication to the process, they'll likely do so.

The first CLEO form I ever mailed out was promptly thrown in the trash. I wanted to be sure everything was GTG and called them, a very polite admin told me she had no idea what to do with said paperwork and simply threw it away especially in a large metro area, these folks are getting tons of mail every day from random people, and the overwhelming majority of it can be promptly shredded.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, as others have said, I think their rationale is they want to give the CLEO a chance to see if the applicant is a trouble maker (IE a sheriff in a small town who knows everyone by name), even if he/she may not have a disqualifying record. And any time they can add complication to the process, they'll likely do so.

The first CLEO form I ever mailed out was promptly thrown in the trash. I wanted to be sure everything was GTG and called them, a very polite admin told me she had no idea what to do with said paperwork and simply threw it away especially in a large metro area, these folks are getting tons of mail every day from random people, and the overwhelming majority of it can be promptly shredded.
View Quote

Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I imagine the ATF would require an actual disqualifier and not just "oh hes a troublemaker".

So far, we have had 3 people who were denied on their form 4 based on CLEO response. I wish i knew more, but all they provide is the denied paperwork.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not to say that it doesn't happen, but I imagine the ATF would require an actual disqualifier and not just "oh hes a troublemaker".

So far, we have had 3 people who were denied on their form 4 based on CLEO response. I wish i knew more, but all they provide is the denied paperwork.
View Quote
Oh for sure. They standard is almost certainly higher than hearsay. A "Dukes of Hazard" situation is what pops into my mind, and clearly that's going to be nothing more than fiction for 99+% of applicants.

CLEO notification is a formality in almost all circumstances. A required one, but a formality nonetheless.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:17:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A "Dukes of Hazard" situation is what pops into my mind, and clearly that's going to be nothing more than fiction for 99+% of applicants.
View Quote
IIRC, weren't they actually felons for moonshine or something.  They always used bows and arrows when stuff needed to be shot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top