Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2021 7:03:07 PM EDT
Good evening,

I just bought this to mount my first real scope.  The question I have is that the manual says to line up the red line with the torque hash marks.  Well, the red line is rather thick.  Should you use the leading edge or trailing edge of the red line?

FWIW, I split the difference and aligned the hash marks in the middle of the red line..

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You will be ok doing that. 1-3 inch lbs on a 25-35 in-lbs install range like as not isn't going to make that much of a difference. This coming from someone who installed a ton of scopes 30-40 years ago before anyone ever thought about using a torque wrench on ring screws.

That said, I  did buy a in-lbs torque wrench as soon as I found one, and currently have been using the Wheeler wrench since they came out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't worry, the Wheeler isn't that accurate anyway.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't worry, the Wheeler isn't that accurate anyway.
View Quote

Is there a more accurate thing available that the average person can justify buying?  I’m in the market for one. There’s not a lot out there, or my google fu skills are really slipping ?????.  I’m just looking for something for scope bases, scope rings, action screws, etc.

I’ve never used one in the past, but my “tight’s tight; too tight’s broke” mentality has on occasion stripped some cheap chinesium pot metal. I’ve tried using a small beam style torque wrench marked in in/lb, but those things generally suck at best.  I’d do a better job with an Allen wrench or screwdriver.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is there a more accurate thing available that the average person can justify buying?  I’m in the market for one. There’s not a lot out there, or my google fu skills are really slipping ?????.  I’m just looking for something for scope bases, scope rings, action screws, etc.

I’ve never used one in the past, but my “tight’s tight; too tight’s broke” mentality has on occasion stripped some cheap chinesium pot metal. I’ve tried using a small beam style torque wrench marked in in/lb, but those things generally suck at best.  I’d do a better job with an Allen wrench or screwdriver.
View Quote

In my opinion, the most accurate would be a 1/4" drive in-lb deflecting beam torque wrench which has been calibrated and certified. Those run north of $100. Un-certified run about $30. Old school and not tacticool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Fixitsticks makes a nice product.  They have several different kits with multiple torque limiters as well as an adjustable one.

They are not the cheapest option out there.  Midway usually has competitive prices on them.

IMO the fat wrench will handle almost everything needed without breaking the bank.

Joat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top