Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2018 8:06:28 PM EDT
I have a M11/9 and Uzi covered. Looking to pick up another sub gun. Locally I have an M10 9mm, M10 45acp, MK760 available. Each is 7K or less.

What would you choose? I’m leaning towards the Mk760 to have something a little different.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the M10/45. I assure you this is the best choice. First of all you can't beat a fat MAC (shooting 45 with that fat frame is fun), second there are a number of innovations coming for the platform (that have not been announced or made public; and no I'm NOT talking about Lage 556) that will make the M10/45 much more valuable than it is right now. Thirdly (in line with #2) it's much more versatile (way more than the 760).

Sure you have the M11/9, but trust me dude, you will not regret the M10/45 addition; especially at that price.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the M10/45. I assure you this is the best choice. First of all you can't beat a fat MAC (shooting 45 with that fat frame is fun), second there are a number of innovations coming for the platform (that have not been announced or made public; and no I'm NOT talking about Lage 556) that will make the M10/45 much more valuable than it is right now. Thirdly (in line with #2) it's much more versatile (way more than the 760).

Sure you have the M11/9, but trust me dude, you will not regret the M10/45 addition; especially at that price.
View Quote
Spill the beans.... what do you know?
308 upper?
Belt fed?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe a double barrel machinegun upper lol.

But seeing as how you have modern subguns covered... I’d go with a Sten! Just looks like plain good fun! I came close to buying one myself before going with a 23E sear host. Hoping I made he right choice myself there.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Spill the beans.... what do you know?
308 upper?
Belt fed?
View Quote
Yes please spill the beans!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a M11/9 and Uzi covered. Looking to pick up another sub gun. Locally I have an M10 9mm, M10 45acp, MK760 available. Each is 7K or less.

What would you choose? I'm leaning towards the Mk760 to have something a little different.
View Quote
I love redundancy as much as anyone, (still own 9ish Macs)  
I have been out of the buying game a while so $7k seems like a lot, but if I had to pick one of those guns. I would get the fat 45. They are useable in stock form. They shoot slower then the  11/9 and 10/9, I can shoot doubles. or dump the mag. It is VERY different then the other Macs and the Uzi
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would get the fat 45... They shoot slower then the... 10/9, I can shoot doubles. or dump the mag. It is VERY different then the other Macs and the Uzi
View Quote
You sure about that?  In my experience, the M10/9 is the slowest stock MAC.   My M10/45 ran 1100-1200, depending on ammo. Switch to 9mm and it dropped to around 975 RPM. (And to round it out, my stock M11/9 runs 1300+.)

Yes, doubles are easy on the .45, but I could pull singles on the M10/9 about half the time.

I ended up selling the Fat MAC after I got the Uzi. It can do the same: .22, 9mm, .45, etc.

In the OP's shoes, I might consider the MK760, so long as I could shoot it first and make sure it runs well. Just for somethin a little different than the MAC/Uzi style of subgun.

But then, with all of the new stuff coming out for the M11/9, one could make the argument to get another of those.

But as noted, the aftermarket stuff for the M10 isn't too far behind the M11/9. So that still isn't a bad choice.

The other option would be to sell the Uzi, add the $7k that would have been used on another subgun, and get a converted AR15.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
OP,

I have an M11/9 and S&W 76. The S&W76/MK760 platform is a very different animal from the M11/9 in either stock or Lage form...

- The ROF is about the same but without the choppiness common to Macs and Uzis; it is very smooth.
- It also suppressed better than the M11/9 (less gas and ejection port noise.)
- It balances differently when loaded than a factory or Lage'd Mac.
- The stock rests against your shoulder at a different angle (it's more sturdy than a factory M11/9 stock but less so than a Lage fixed or adjustable stock. However, with shims it can be made quite sturdy.)
- The grip angle is different.
- The selector setup is different from Macs.
- Parts are not easily found, but fortunately it is (at least the S&W 76 is, I can't speak towards the MK760) comprised of a robust FCG.
- It has some military history.

Quoted:

View Quote
Lot's of conclusory statements with little or no factual basis offered
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
To me, having more options is so much better.  The M10/45 would be my choice also.  Eventually there will be a CF(W) tungsten bolt for the M10/45.  I seen video of the prototype.  It can be made to run Grease Gun slow.  I think there will be lots of options for the Mac style RR machinegun family.  The Max10/15 will eventually be made.  If the AM 180 gets made for the M11/9 then there might be a M10 version.

Also with the Max11/15 at $3,000, I think that price point will bring other innovation to the Mac family of RRs..  I think that there will be a .22lr and beltfed options available by the end of the year.  I am so sure of this that I will bet, anyone willing, that these options will appear by the end of the year, that no one would take me up on that bet.  Any takers here?

I think the Mac family of RRs is poised to take off.  When the Mac style RRs were $2,000, who would spend $3,000 on an AR based upper?  Now that the Mac style RRs are $7,000+ and the cheapest 5.56X45 machineguns are in the $12,000 to $15,000 range, $3,000 for the Max11/15 is within reason.  Other than a HK registered sear/trigger frame or the M16 family what machinegun can win a National level subgun match and shoot any typical medium caliber rifle round like 5.56X45, 300 BLK OUT, 6.5 Grendel, or 7.62X39?  Even if there was something, I doubt you could buy the Registered machinegun, 9mm match winning and medium caliber rifle configurations and still have any money left for mags and ammo.  But the Mac style RRs fit that bill.  YMMV.

Scott
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course there is the versatility factor to machinegun buying in terms of what may come down the road. I do not have a crystal ball and do not know what is going to come out for the specifically for the m10/45 down the road. However you’ve already got an m11/9 which amongst the Mac family variants, the m11/9 is the model people tend to design for. You’ve already got a lot of versatility there and I absolutely think that the MK760 would be a much better complement to your existing guns.

By the way, I have an m11/9 and Uzi. My next MG will likely be an MK760.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP,

I have an M11/9 and S&W 76. The S&W76/MK760 platform is a very different animal from the M11/9 in either stock or Lage form...

- The ROF is about the same but without the choppiness common to Macs and Uzis; it is very smooth.
- It also suppressed better than the M11/9 (less gas and ejection port noise.)
- It balances differently when loaded than a factory or Lage'd Mac.
- The stock rests against your shoulder at a different angle (it's more sturdy than a factory M11/9 stock but less so than a Lage fixed or adjustable stock. However, with shims it can be made quite sturdy.)
- The grip angle is different.
- The selector setup is different from Macs.
- Parts are not easily found, but fortunately it is (at least the S&W 76 is, I can't speak towards the MK760) comprised of a robust FCG.
- It has some military history.

Lot's of conclusory statements with little or no factual basis offered
View Quote
Marcus,
Since you own both, what are you thoughts between the two. Is your m11 modified? Do you enjoy one over the other?

I handled the MK760 today and it was heavier than I thought it was going to be. Do your mags have a fair amount of play in them when locked in your 76? Can you elaborate more on the handling characteristics between the two as my M11 is still in jail.
Since the sights are not adjustable on the 76 what distance are they zeroed to from the factory?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Also with the Max11/15 at $3,000, I think that price point will bring other innovation to the Mac family of RRs..  I think that there will be a .22lr and beltfed options available by the end of the year.  I am so sure of this that I will bet, anyone willing, that these options will appear by the end of the year, that no one would take me up on that bet.  Any takers here?
View Quote
Not sure what you mean by "22lr option" as there is already multiple 22lr options for the MAC family that are out there in varying numbers.  (Lage, Fleming, & Practical Solution)

Technically there have been belt fed options for MACs...although most of them have been ruled to be machineguns unto themselves.

That said,  I will take the standard AR15.com PMAG bet that there is no commercially available belt-fed upper for the MAC family by the end of the year.

I am not talking about one off, prototype, or a couple cobbled together units given to beta testers.

By "commercially available" I would define that as ATF approved, Rifle Caliber (5.56, 7.62x39, 308, etc.), and I could order and have one delivered to my doorstep by 12/31/2018.

As to the OPs question, if the MK760 can be test fired and runs, I would take it over adding another MAC to your collection.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Marcus,
Since you own both, what are you thoughts between the two. Is your m11 modified? Do you enjoy one over the other?

I handled the MK760 today and it was heavier than I thought it was going to be. Do your mags have a fair amount of play in them when locked in your 76? Can you elaborate more on the handling characteristics between the two as my M11 is still in jail.
Since the sights are not adjustable on the 76 what distance are they zeroed to from the factory?
View Quote
I like the S&W 76 because I like the S&W 76; It definitely isn't for everybody. If I could only keep one it'd be the 76 in large part because I find it more pleasant to shoot suppressed - the ROF although similar to my M11's Lage speed bolt (750rpm) is much smoother, and the ejection port being more forward translates to a lower perceived tone/less noise as well as less gas than my Lage'd M11.

I got the versatility/tactiCOOL bug out of my system with my M11. For my next subgun I wanted something different that was still in 9mm since I reload a lot of that cartridge. I shot my friend's S&W 76 and fell in love. I like many of the features that other's dislike - the stock can often be made sturdy if wobbly, I like the unique selection setup, the long tube with shroud is a classic look and signifies the end of the tubegun submachinegun era. It's history also represents american ingenuity in time of war to meet military demands (see my thread HERE for developmental examples.)

I wouldn't say the S&W76 is any heavier than your typical subgun. According to an original S&W sales brochure I have dated May 31, 1967 featuring a toolroom example it weighs 7.25lbs unloaded and 8.75lbs loaded.

I have about a dozen Suomi mags for my S&W 76 - three see range duty and the rest are backups. I've never used an original S&W mag. Mine have what I consider average play - they aren't sloppy nor are they so tight I cringe when inserting them. My mags run beautifully and they nor the gun have ever failed or malfunctioned...not once. I do not however hold on to the mag itself when shooting despite that various S&W literature indicates such is acceptable (namely the March 1, 1969 manual.)

I do not know what distance S&W zeroed the S&W 76 sights too - I flipped through my various S&W literature and none indicate. However, the sights are technically adjustable as you can bend them as suited, although I'd obviously suggest you not do this.

Handling wise my S&W 76 and M11/9 are pretty similar in a number of regards thanks to the Lage equipment on my M11. Weight and ROF is similar, but as stated I find the S&W 76 much smoother suppressed. The S&W 76 is also a bit more front end heavy than my M11. It is also much longer. The controls are also less natural and intuitive than the M11. Breaking it down for transport or cleaning is not as easy as the M11.

If you didn't already have the M11 I'd suggest you get that and not the MK760. But if you are looking for something different, but not too different, than I think the MK760 could fit that bill perfectly. Really you ought to try it out with some significant range time beforehand. Oh, and notice how none of what I said above is specifically towards the MK760...my experience is limited to the S&W 76 so take it with a grain of salt especially in regards to reliability.

There are mine:

Link Posted: 7/12/2018 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Marcus,
Thank you for the time and detailed reply, truly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Marcus,
Thank you for the time and detailed reply, truly appreciate it.
View Quote
Happy to help! Let us know what you end up deciding on
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top