Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2022 6:37:14 PM EDT
Currently a Mawl owner considering switching to save weight, a comparison:

MAWL:
Insanely Expensive (When I got mine it was $2600, It's over $1000 more now)
Significantly heavier
Maybe better switchology
More complicated diagonal offset
Allows for pressure switches
Slower target transitions
More rifle fatigue due to weight (no I'm not a shrimp, I'm 5'9 190 and I'm not fat, have been working out for over 20 years and I shoot probably over 10k rounds a year so don't say I don't train either, weight matters)

CTF3:
Way cheaper
Lighter (won't need flashlight mount/tube also lighter by itself)
Laser directly over bore
Tighter closer to rail, better for barrier work, could even be mounted back on a riser for a completely clean front end (yes I'm familiar with the associated issues)
Doesn't currently allow for pressure switches but tailcap could be release later, either way I don't use nor need pressure switches
Faster target transitions due to lighter front end
Less fatigue

I'll save something like 8-10oz switching.  I can also completely fund the switch by selling my MAWL, kiji included.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I scored a ctf2 last night before they sold out.
I figure I'll be saving about 5 or 6 ounces from my current set up.
For the distances I shoot it'll be perfect and a compact all in one unit is way better than a D2 with a white light plus switches
Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn’t say you’ll be any faster or slower with either on target transitions
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Can anyone post info about the CTF3?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Comes down to execution.  One choice is a proven, effective, reliable solution.  The other is unproven but lighter and cheaper.  Time may show that choice B is also reliable and effective.    Competition is a great thing for consumers over time.

For me, on these things, I don’t plan to be an early adopter.  YMMV.    I will be watching for success but will be enjoying my MAWL until then. ;)

I am reminded of the adage though - cheap, now, or good.  Choose only two.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
CTF2 should be ~10oz once you add a pair of heads so it’s not that much lighter.  The body+batteries alone are listed at 7 oz.  Heads are usually around 1.5 or so each.

Sure, you’ll save weight by not needing a separate white light. But an Arisaka m300 E1HT in an offset Mlok mount is only 2.5oz (with battery).  Plus whatever tailcap and switch you choose… probably <2oz.

So you’ll save around 4oz in the end (on probably a 110+ oz gun) and lose the visible laser and also on the fly wide/narrow select ability.  Not to mention one is well proven.  I just can’t see moving away from possibly the best MFAL to something else unless you’re hard up for cash.

I don’t think the CTF3 was made to compete with the MAWL.  I think it was more to compete with Perst/D2/i2/ATPIAL-C+Scout setups.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can anyone post info about the CTF3?
View Quote

Seven Pages enough for ya?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Seven Pages enough for ya?
View Quote

Seems to be all about the CTF2. Maybe OP had a typo, but I wasn't aware of a CTF3 model from PH.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seems to be all about the CTF2. Maybe OP had a typo, but I wasn't aware of a CTF3 model from PH.
View Quote

Small mention of it in the 2nd image.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/New-Laser-Modules-by-Phantom-Hill/18-528635/?page=7#i5772316

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The CTF3 isn't going to have a co-aligned visible laser, right?  

That's a big deal for me.  I need to be able to zero and confirm zero via a visible laser.

I'm not a big fan of the CTF3's inability to use remote switch options and I don't like the crowded onboard switch layout.

MAWL remains way too heavy for my personal tastes. I'd purchase a RAID Xe Civilian version in that price range, because it doesn't weight as much but sadly they are vapor ware right now and my guess will be for at least another year if not longer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top