Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2022 5:07:22 PM EDT
Hi Folks

Somewhere in the back of my mind there was a company making fal like rifles in 223
back in the late 90's or early 2000'S iirc. Not the Springfield SAR4800.

Obviously they didn't last, but can't recall what it was called.
thx
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#1]
FAL FNC  ??
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By tiger222:  Hi Folks

Somewhere in the back of my mind there was a company making fal like rifles in 223
back in the late 90's or early 2000'S iirc. Not the Springfield SAR4800.

Obviously they didn't last, but can't recall what it was called.
thx
View Quote

Ummm - Springfield, made in Brazil by IMBEL?  Are you thinking of an additional manufacturer?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Daisy
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I’ve seen a reference to Enterprise making a few. No idea if they did or how many.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Gosh, not the FNC or the Imbel's, it was a US company.

There was lots of squawk on the FAL Files, but it's been probably about 20 years and the grey matter isn't
cooperating. I'll see if I can dig something up.

They scaled it down and used AR mags, and it was obviously lighter. That's all I recall, though there were teething issues.
It was about the same time the Robarm M96's were rolling out. (Maybe it was the Robarms????) Could have sworn it was
a shrunken FAL though. Anyway....
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
Red Rock ATR?
View Quote

YES!! that was it, whew. For a moment, thought I was loosing it, lol.
What ever happened to them?
Where they any good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
No idea, just found it via internet search. Some old posts here suggested it was related to the infamous Special Weapons/Todd Bailey family of companies which would not bode well for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
found this
too bad there aren't any good / affordable 223 FALs

https://aftermath-gun-club.tumblr.com/post/112246184343/gunrunnerhell-red-rock-arms-atr-1-a-us-made-fal
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a good candidate for a Forgotten Weapons video.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: axl] [#11]
Was called the ATR - American Tactical Rifle. Was a complete piece of shit. I traded an AR for one at a gun show and it never functioned correctly. Looked good, would not feed or eject. Used AR magazines. I gave it to a SF Armorer buddy and he finally used it for demonstrations on how to destroy a firearm. It was really that bad.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the rifle from Heat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By axl:
Was called the ATR - American Tactical Rifle. Was a complete piece of shit. I traded an AR for one at a gun show and it never functioned correctly. Looked good, would not feed or eject. Used AR magazines. I gave it to a SF Armorer buddy and he finally used it for demonstrations on how to destroy a firearm. It was really that bad.
View Quote

Yeah, that seems to ring a bell as to why it never sold well. Too bad, I love the look of the FAL, but my shoulder would like a lighter kick :)
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Robinson Arms wanna-be Stoner?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tiger222:

Yeah, that seems to ring a bell as to why it never sold well. Too bad, I love the look of the FAL, but my shoulder would like a lighter kick :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By axl:

You know, just load subsonic .308.. With 200 gr bullets it should cycle, and be roughly the equivalent of subsonic 300 BLK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

You might want an XCR

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

You might want an XCR

Just a thought.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

You might want an XCR

Just a thought.

As awesome as the XCR is, an FAL doesn't kick much. That said, my 5.56 XCR kicks only a hair more than my .22LR AR.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Rubicon777:
Sounds like the rifle from Heat.
View Quote

The rifle from heat was the FN FNC.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:
No idea, just found it via internet search. Some old posts here suggested it was related to the infamous Special Weapons/Todd Bailey family of companies which would not bode well for it.
View Quote

The problem was that Andy Bonas the owner of Red Rock Arms used some space from Toadie's place to setup shop for his shop.  There was the appearance that it was another Toadie's quick rich scheme to make a buck from another phantom company.  That is something that we will not know if that was true or not.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#20]

I looked into importing these like 22 years ago, some as whole post sample guns and some as kits to build semis.

Sort of FAL-ish.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]
found this

https://aftermath-gun-club.tumblr.com/post/112246184343/gunrunnerhell-red-rock-arms-atr-1-a-us-made-fal
View Quote

I once suggested to DSA on the Fal Files they should make 5.56 FAL variant like the original that was made briefly. The rep said "why" it wouldn't be a very good seller. I laughed. They would sell like hot cakes if they offered them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:11:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By realwar:

I once suggested to DSA on the Fal Files they should make 5.56 FAL variant like the original that was made briefly. The rep said "why" it wouldn't be a very good seller. I laughed. They would sell like hot cakes if they offered them.
View All Quotes
found this

The 5.56mm IA2 from IMBEL is basically a FAL with a rotating bolt and AR-18 gas system.  The former permits the receiver to be aluminum.  I don't recall if the receiver is shorter, too, or if it is the usual FAL length.  If something like that could make it here, or if something like that but with a standard FAL gas system were made here, I'd be interested.  Heck, I'd probably still for  a straight 5.56mm FAL.

If someone could produce Vern Smith's change-barrel FAL setup with conversion BCGs and magazine well adapters, that'd be cool as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

ARs throw off the investment:return ratio for everything on the market today, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Fang:  ARs throw off the investment:return ratio for everything on the market today, unfortunately.
View Quote

It's not unfortunate - it's a highly flexible platform the aftermarket is heavily invested in.  I'm gonna design the best rifle EVAR!  5.56, 6.5, this new goofy Army magnum round...

Yeah, but can you swap uppers btwn .22 LR & .50 BMG?  And can you make those uppers cheaper than the AR ones already on the market?
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

It's not unfortunate - it's a highly flexible platform the aftermarket is heavily invested in.  I'm gonna design the best rifle EVAR!  5.56, 6.5, this new goofy Army magnum round...

Yeah, but can you swap uppers btwn .22 LR & .50 BMG?  And can you make those uppers cheaper than the AR ones already on the market?
View Quote

ARs are nice and all, but FAL ergos are better.  I'd pay a lot for a lightweight FAL in 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Fang:  ARs are nice and all, but FAL ergos are better.  I'd pay a lot for a lightweight FAL in 5.56.
View Quote

If you go to a side charging AR & add a proper cheekweld, what is different in the ergonomics?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By blfuller:

The rifle from heat was the FN FNC.
http://www.military-today.com/firearms/fn_fnc.jpg
View Quote

God I love the FNC but I’ll likely never be able to afford one at current prices unless I fall into one.

I scratched the 5.56 FAL itch with a SAR4800 which seems like a pretty awesome piece, I’ve yet to shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 2:59:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ncozzo:

God I love the FNC but I’ll likely never be able to afford one at current prices unless I fall into one.

I scratched the 5.56 FAL itch with a SAR4800 which seems like a pretty awesome piece, I’ve yet to shoot it.
View Quote

If you ever decide to sell yours, let me know.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Daewoo's K2 is closer to an FAL/AR hybrid than it is an AK/AR hybrid (which is how people always describe it, for some reason).

FAL handguards can be made to fit the Daewoo.

Attachment Attached File

(post-ban DR-200 shown)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top