Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2020 11:41:18 PM EDT
So after sorting my 308 brass, I decided to use non-LC nato stamp brass in my AR10. I included IMI brass in that pile as well. I now have a bagfull of mixed commercial headstamp brass that I'm not sure what to do with it.

I've decided to stick with 150g bullets over IMR for that rifle. Primary use is hunting but also some mid-range target shooting.

So what to do with the commercial brass? Can I reload it using my nato brass recipe and call it a day? Don't really want to sell it because there's not quite enough to be worth my time.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Just shoot it
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have honestly never had much of an issue shooting mixed headstand reloads. Most of my stuff is mixed commercial and when shooting, I cant tell you which is LC and which is regular commercial.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
For the powder cost to reload 308, I'd sell that mixed commercial brass off and stick with same headstamp Lake City or nato equivalent (SBS, etc.). Seriously, you're spending $0.15-20/ round in powder, make it count. Save the Winchester headstamped commercial brass for precision long range stuff as you can generally stuff another 5-10% more powder into those compared to milspec 7.62x51mm.

Save the mixed brass reloading for close ranged stuff like carbine course 5.56mm/223 clones, pistol target ammo and the like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just shoot it
View Quote

This. At least in my AO, most hunting shots will be less than 100 yards. I don't think brass is going to make any difference at that range. If you were shooting "long" distance...then maybe I would worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. At least in my AO, most hunting shots will be less than 100 yards. I don't think brass is going to make any difference at that range. If you were shooting "long" distance...then maybe I would worry about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just shoot it

Good thinking, short range hunting rounds will be perfect for that brass. Also have some 147g pulls that will be perfect for this brass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good thinking, short range hunting rounds will be perfect for that brass. Also have some 147g pulls that will be perfect for this brass.
View Quote

I'd put forth the effort and sort cases for hunting. Even for a <100yd shot, not worth the risk to me.

I don't know about you, but I don't need any help to miss. What's another 20 minutes sorting some brass and a couple rounds down range to keep you from wasting all that meat, especially off a potential trophy, burning all the time and money you spent on hunting.

How pissed are you going to be when your shot goes wide and you watch 65-100lbs of meat go thrashing off into the distance, knowing it's going to die in a few days nowhere near you because it got gutshot? Because I'm going to be furious.

Yes, I make pretty accurate ammo with mixed brass and cheap bullets, bet you can too, but I'm not going to hunt with it until that's my only option. Maybe you're in a much worse position than I am, but I doubt it's that bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top