Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/19/2023 11:17:42 AM EDT
Mine is the Rad22 and the obsidian9.
The rad22 is the loudest 22 suppressor I have tested and the flow though feature is pointless on a 22 can.
The obsidian can’t be used on a handgun with a booster and can only be used with a 3lug mount. If you use the booster it endcap strikes every time. Even with perfect alignment with an alignment rod. Very common issue with this can. Mines been in service several times. Rugged was nice but can’t fix it.

So what suppressors do you regret buying and why?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Saker 556.  I dislike every 556 can I’ve dealt with. Just prefer a 30 cal for most things.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saker 556.  I dislike every 556 can I’ve dealt with. Just prefer a 30 cal for most things.
View Quote

I was that way until I got my polonium, Sierra5 and oss flow556k. Now I’m a believer in 556 cans.
I think the newer cans are finally worth it. They actually sounds good
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I regret nothing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I regret my AAC.

It was fine for a good long while, but after AAC as a company went tits up, no support anymore.

The 51t is the biggest piece of shit attachment system I've ever used.

The roll pin for the ratchet arm on the supressor came out, canted my can after it got loose, and I baffle struck the shit out of it.

I intend to send it to Ecco when I get the funds for it, or care enough to.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was that way until I got my polonium, Sierra5 and oss flow556k. Now I’m a believer in 556 cans.
View Quote

Don’t have a polonium, but I’ve got a Sierra 5, Flow 556k, and Dual-Lok 5, and these are all great. I’ve been particularly impressed with the Sierra. At its size, I was sort of expecting an average performer that just serves to take the edge off, but it honestly might sound the best of all of them.

Also got a Sci Six preordered.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
All my HTA cans I bought way back when I didn't know better. Luckily Nick from ECCO was able to make them all better.

Sorry to hear that about your obsidian 9. Mine doesn't seem to have that problem. Hopefully I didn't just jynx myself.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Gemtech everything…
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
My AAC SDN6
Can works fine but zero support and no mounts to buy has relegated it to the safe.
I just replaced my SBR upper with a URGI to run my Surefire can. Sucks because I went  all in with the AAC can and matching 300 BO AAC upper
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gemtech everything…
View Quote

I have a trek2 that I love. Unfortunately, it got loose ones and I got about three baffle strikes. Still sounds good but not really a way to get it fixed. Can’t notice a difference in sound
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a trek2 that I love. Unfortunately, it got loose ones and I got about three baffle strikes. Still sounds good but not really a way to get it fixed. Can’t notice a difference in sound
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gemtech everything…

I wouldn't say I am dissapointed with my YHM's. Resonator and Turbo.

They are actually extremely good suppressors when factoring in price.

Just wish I would have bought titanium cans for the weight savings instead.

It is nice to have some "blaster" type cans I'm not very worried about though
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
No disappointments yet and I have 2 Obsidian 9’s.??
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My Gemtech Predator .223.  Granted, it's an older can and not up to modern performance levels,  but the weight has always been a pain to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I regret my AAC.

It was fine for a good long while, but after AAC as a company went tits up, no support anymore.

The 51t is the biggest piece of shit attachment system I've ever used.

The roll pin for the ratchet arm on the supressor came out, canted my can after it got loose, and I baffle struck the shit out of it.

I intend to send it to Ecco when I get the funds for it, or care enough to.
View Quote

Quoted:
My AAC SDN6
Can works fine but zero support and no mounts to buy has relegated it to the safe.
I just replaced my SBR upper with a URGI to run my Surefire can. Sucks because I went  all in with the AAC can and matching 300 BO AAC upper
View Quote

AAC was bought by PSA's patent company JJE Capital and is operating now. Muzzle devices can be purchased, cans are being serviced and upgraded.

https://advanced-armament.com/

AAC Instagram post about service/rebuild/upgrade

More rebuilds
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I regret my 9mm Thompson Machine Isis 2.    I bought it for a .357 Magnum rifle for which it was rated.   I mostly shoot subsonic .38 Specials and found it suffered from significant FRP.    As a monocore, it was also difficult to remove from the tube for cleaning.

Best thing I ever did was send it to Joe at Curtis Tactical for a re-core.    FRP is gone, it's much easier to clean and the list of supported calibers has increased.

Well worth the upgrade cost.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't necessarily say that these cans are disappointments, but I currently have 2x cans that just sit in the safe

- AAC 762SD. It was a great first can. Only cost me $500. But over time I realized that weight and length are areas that can be significantly improved upon and I haven't used it much since.

- SilencerCo Saker 556k. After realizing that I wanted shorter and lighter. I got this thing. I was really happy with it, especially on my Tavor SAR. After getting rid of the Tavor and putting it on my 556, i noticed how high the back-pressure was which resulted in me getting a Sandman which has been much better on my AR

I now have a Helios QD Ti which is my go-to for a 300blk, the Sandman sits on my 16" semi-precision build, and I have an AEM5 in jail for my 12,5" AR which I think covers my bases pretty good. Trying to find a use for these other two.

I only regret buying them because they just sit there, but at the time I made pretty good purchasing decisions based on the information that was available
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quietbore rimfire. Just because it really isn't that quiet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#17]
My first cans from 1999 by a former AWC manager, Shane Mowrey.  What pieces of crap made by another piece of crap.  Thankfully Nick at Ecco made them WAAAAAY better 23 years after the fact.

All my SRT Arms suppressors.

My SRT 22lr can that I had Dave at Liberty Suppressors rebuild with a monocore.  It suppresses OK, but it does have FRP and it SUCKS to take apart.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Sandman S…and I unfortunately have 2 of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Rebel cans.  I got the 308, 45, 9, and 22lr.  My local dealer had them available pretty dirt cheap.

I mean, I'm not totally surprised.  All aluminum suppressors.  You can only expect so much.  I've had the end caps blow out on 2 of them.  One of their mounts/muzzle device blow out.  Really cool design and idea.  They should have used titanium or steel.

They had no customer support whatsoever.
I ordered the $99 22lr one.  It took them over a year to ship it.  It was impossible to even get through to them to see whats what.  

I was not surprised to see when they lost their FFL.  They didn't seem like they knew how to run a business.
Now mine just sit in a drawer.  I pretty much dont shoot them.  I wanna say on average, they costed less than the tax stamp.

Another one that disappointed me a little was griffin.  The suppressors work well.  The design and materials are great.
What sucks is how they jump from to their next product design and leave the owners of the old design in the dust.  I ordered the checkmate QD, which uses their proprietary tiny little 3-lug mount.  In the time between when I ordered the suppressor and when the tax stamp was approved, griffin had discontinued that model and the little mounts were nowhere to be found.  So I finally get to take my new can home, but could only mount it to 1 gun.  Every dealer online was sold out of the little QD adapters.  It was like 9 months before griffin had any more in stock.  When they came back, I got like 8 of those little bastards.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Sparrow.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two monocores.  FRP sucks and cleaning socks.  Probably wouldn't be bad if they had a clamshell design to shield the inside of the tube....but performance still isn't that good.  
Getting one of them re-cored by Curtis Tactical now.
AWC Amphibian II was quit but shot it too much and not serviceable.  Got loud from too much crap.  Also at Curtis Tactical now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 4:33:55 PM EDT
[#22]
AAC Evolution 40 and 45, just wasn't worth shooting with them unless I shot them wet.
AAC 762SD, bought 2 in early 2000's and both had the 18 tooth mount. Had AAC convert both to 51 tooth mount for free.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:I only regret buying them because they just sit there, but at the time I made pretty good purchasing decisions based on the information that was available
View All Quotes
Quoted:I only regret buying them because they just sit there, but at the time I made pretty good purchasing decisions based on the information that was available

That will be the fate of my Sandman K someday. I bought it before leaving to BCT, not knowing when I would have the chance to buy another suppressor. With caliber-appropriate end-caps I predicted it would be acceptable for 300Blk and 5.56 (with a long enough barrel). It mostly met my expectations, which weren't huge to begin with, and there still aren't a whole lot of single choices that can fill that role. I'm not sure if "regret" is the most accurate word, considering. Most cans will probably seem obsolete on a long enough timeline.

Quoted:
Sandman S…and I unfortunately have 2 of them.

Why? What were your expectations before you bought them and how have they failed those?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#24]
The Suppressed Armamment Systems Covert suppressor for my Accuracy International was a great disappointment to me.

I sold it at a huge loss and it was worth it to make it go away.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Saker 556, insane back pressure and heavy!!! Happy as hell with my Turbo K, great price and lightweight.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sparrow.
View Quote

@ikickhippies

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you not like about the Sparrow?
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

AAC was bought by PSA's patent company JJE Capital and is operating now. Muzzle devices can be purchased, cans are being serviced and upgraded.

More rebuilds
View Quote

Well shit, you dropped a knowledge bomb on me. I appreciate the info
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I won't say "disappointed" but more of a "meh" would be my gemtech tundra 9mm.  I got it (and a few others) when my ffl was closing up shop *and wait times were only a few months*  he had it for years nib and no one ever showed interest.  He offered it to me for like $300 with multiple boosters so I said sure.   Besides that, maybe my aac Evo 45.  Nothing bad about it, but it just lives on my usp 45 tac.  Favorite still is my saker 762.  It's a fucking brick but I love it and have 2.  Have 1 saker 556 and 2 specwar 556ks.  For 556k, I prefer the specwar but the sakers r tanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Suppressed Armamment Systems Covert suppressor for my Accuracy International was a great disappointment to me.

View Quote

That sucks about your Covert.    What didn't you like about it?    I have 4 SAS cans including a Claymore, Resistor, Reaper and a Sentinel.    No complaints with any of them.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:50:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That sucks about your Covert.    What didn't you like about it?    I have 4 SAS cans including a Claymore, Resistor, Reaper and a Sentinel.    No complaints with any of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn’t ever return to zero no matter what I tried which made it pretty pointless to use on a precision rifle.

It was always off by at least 1MOA and the POI would change as it heated up or cooled down.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More rebuilds

Glad I could help!

Stinks though because it pretty much dashes my hope of ever finding a dirt-cheap M4-2k, those days probably passed.

ETA: Recent post from member on having their M4-2k upgraded to Ranger 5
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Saker 762 = heavy
Saker 556K = high back-pressure
Sandman K = loud
Halcyon = somehow wobbly even when tight

Definitely would have made some different buying decisions if I was able to do over again. Oh well you live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gemtech everything…
View Quote

My HVT QD. I wish I hadn’t got the QD. Now my Halo and two Outback’s have been great.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed with any of them, but there are better options on the market than when I bought some. That and preferences change over time.

AAC Tirant 45M - I wish it had more mount/compatibility options. Edit: Meaning vs other brands that interchange pistons, mounts, etc.

Sparrow/GM22 - FRP but at least the GM22s are light enough to compensate for it.

AAC Cyclone - Long and heavy.

I’ve got a locally built 30 K can that’s at ECCO for a recore. It’s just loud, and I knew it would be loud, but not THAT loud.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My AAC SDN6
View Quote

Mounts are all over the place for them again. And the new AAC will work on them...just not under warranty for free.  If you're willing to spend the money the new AAC will upgrade your AAC can to the new baffle stack and convert the mount to the style ECCO does (don't remember what that is....plan B?). It's the cost of a new can but with no wait.

ETA: Already covered but work reiterating....
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear. I have four 30cal cans but just bought my first dedicated 5.56, a Polonium K.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Mine is the Rad22 and the obsidian9.
The rad22 is the loudest 22 suppressor I have tested and the flow though feature is pointless on a 22 can.
The obsidian can’t be used on a handgun with a booster and can only be used with a 3lug mount. If you use the booster it endcap strikes every time. Even with perfect alignment with an alignment rod. Very common issue with this can. Mines been in service several times. Rugged was nice but can’t fix it.

So what suppressors do you regret buying and why?
View Quote

What? The Obsidian 9 can’t be used on a handgun with a booster? I run it on my G17 with zero problems. Runs great. I also direct thread it on an AR9 with zero problems. No tri-lug. It’s also great on my M&P 15-22 in short configuration. Honestly, I couldn’t be happier.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What? The Obsidian 9 can’t be used on a handgun with a booster? I run it on my G17 with zero problems. Runs great. I also direct thread it on an AR9 with zero problems. No tri-lug. It’s also great on my M&P 15-22 in short configuration. Honestly, I couldn’t be happier.
View Quote

I think he's saying that when he uses boosters on his Obsidian 9 he gets baffle strikes....as in the blast chamber is probably not within proper tolerance and he's getting tilt causing strikes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I regret my 9mm Thompson Machine Isis 2.    I bought it for a .357 Magnum rifle for which it was rated.   I mostly shoot subsonic .38 Specials and found it suffered from significant FRP.    As a monocore, it was also difficult to remove from the tube for cleaning.

Best thing I ever did was send it to Joe at Curtis Tactical for a re-core.    FRP is gone, it's much easier to clean and the list of supported calibers has increased.

Well worth the upgrade cost.
View Quote

I really need to send mine to ECCO

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
AAC Tirant 45M - I wish it had more mount/comparability options.

GM22 - FRP but at least the GM22s are light enough to compensate for it.
View Quote

Agreed on the GM22

Tell me more about your complaints on the Tirant 45M

@graysonp
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:51:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are 3 lugs for them, but if you had other things in mind, we make a 1.125-28 Alpha pattern adapter for the TiRant, as well as one that accepts Dead Air Key Micro.

Griffin has Cam Lok and EZ Lok pistons for the 45M, too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@graysonp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@graysonp

It’s mainly just that they use proprietary mounts and pistons, when most of the industry has sort of standardized mounts. Even the AAC 9mm and 45 pistons are different, which seems silly.

My old Gemtech Multimount is the same way, but at least it’s old enough that they had an excuse. At the time, it was the first pistol can with interchangeable mounts.

Quoted:
Quoted:

we make a 1.125-28 Alpha pattern adapter for the TiRant, as well as one that accepts Dead Air Key Micro.

Griffin has Cam Lok and EZ Lok pistons for the 45M, too.

I wasn’t aware of those options so that helps.

It’s not a bad can. It sounds good and I have the AAC pistons I need for it, but it just bugs me having a whole different set of mounts for that one can.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think he's saying that when he uses boosters on his Obsidian 9 he gets baffle strikes....as in the blast chamber is probably not within proper tolerance and he's getting tilt causing strikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is exactly what I’m saying. It’s very common problem with this suppressor. Silencerstudent here even has some cutaway pictures of the exact problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#45]
My aac sr7. No support now but atleast I can get some 90t mounts from new aac. Also this thing gets glued to the mount within 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That is exactly what I’m saying. It’s very common problem with this suppressor. Silencerstudent here even has some cutaway pictures of the exact problem.
View Quote

Is there a link to those pics or are they behind a pay wall?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#47]
SiCo/SWR SpecWar 7.62 full size. It’s just so fucking heavy and long I don’t know why I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Liberty Regulator
Liberty Mystic X
Gemtech Trek
TacSol Integral MKIV
Thompson Machine Neptune 9
Q El Camino

Monocores suck, FRP sucks, overly heavy sucks

Buying a can because of a "deal" has also backfired on me. Saving money to settle in this game isn't a good idea IMO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Q El Camino
View Quote

What's the issue with the El Camino? I've been interested in one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#50]
I wouldn't say I'm disappointed with it, it's quiet and no first round pop. But, I regret buying the Oculus22. I wish I'd bought something lighter and I don't care about the modular aspect of it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top