Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2020 7:38:10 PM EDT
Looking to see if there are any other options besides Surefire. Suppressor would also need to be rated for full auto.

Any help is appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the Rugged options
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Sandman was built for dumb shit like full auto 7.5” lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
And EA Vox

ETA: Debating between these two for a Lage16 upper.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Vox S,  30 cal. no barrel length restrictions and full auto rated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking to see if there are any other options besides Surefire. Suppressor would also need to be rated for full auto.

Any help is appreciated!
View Quote
That short of barrel is very abusive to suppressors in terms of pressure, heat input and flame erosion.  You want something with a full inconel or stellite baffle stack.  Surefire, Rugged, Dead Air Sandman, SiCo Chimera or Saker, EA Vox have appropriate materials.  Even then you’ll be peppering the blast baffle.  Designs with longer blast chambers can help durability somewhat.  A longer can will be quieter, but a 7” 5.56 will never be quiet.  You’re better off with a 6” can on a 10” barrel than a 9” can on a 7” barrel with 5.56.  For full auto, heavier is better both for thermal mass, and safety margin as high temps reduce strength.  Full auto bolt velocity benefits from .30 cal or bigger bores and big blast chambers to keep back pressure minimal.   Full auto can melt/soften lead bullet cores and result in jacket/core separation and baffle strikes.  Long term the warranty might be the most important consideration.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
CGS Helios QD will outlast anything currently available on that host.

Here it is on a 5.5" 7.62x39 firing in full auto and semi: Link 1 and Link 2

And here it is on 10.5" MK18 doing a full auto mag dump: Link 3

It doesn’t have a minimum barrel length. The Helios QD silencer is pretty much impossible to kill by any conventional method. We’ve fired ~2300rds through one on a MK18, half with full auto 30rd mag dumps and the other half semi auto and then did ten 30rd mags in a row full auto and five 30rd mags in a row full auto as fast as the mags could be changed, all of those ~2300rds being fired over only maybe 3hrs. Then we took it to the NFA Review shoot. We’ve been doing 200rd belts through them with a SAW to the point the barrel droops. Then shot it more when it cooled.

It comes as a kit with a 1/2x28 direct thread mount, a 5/8x24 direct thread mount, a QD adapter which will work with any 1.375x24 Omega pattern mount, a standard front cap, and a vented front cap. The standard front cap allows it to work like a traditional silencer and the vented front cap allows it to work as an "out the front" vented silencer similar to OSS but better. All the joints sit on shallow tapers and since it's DMLS 718 Inconel which is 3D printed, the silencer is perfectly concentric. And like all of our 5.56 silencers it has a 7.62 bore so it helps with backpressure and ear sound and also gives you some margin of error if you have a destabilized bullet out of that short of a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It doesn’t have a minimum barrel length. The Helios QD silencer is pretty much impossible to kill by any conventional method. We’ve fired ~2300rds through one on a MK18, half with full auto 30rd mag dumps and the other half semi auto and then did ten 30rd mags in a row full auto and five 30rd mags in a row full auto as fast as the mags could be changed, all of those ~2300rds being fired over only maybe 3hrs. Then we took it to the NFA Review shoot. We’ve been doing 200rd belts through them with a SAW to the point the barrel droops. Then shot it more when it cooled.

It comes as a kit with a 1/2x28 direct thread mount, a 5/8x24 direct thread mount, a QD adapter which will work with any 1.375x24 Omega pattern mount, a standard front cap, and a vented front cap. The standard front cap allows it to work like a traditional silencer and the vented front cap allows it to work as an "out the front" vented silencer similar to OSS but better. All the joints sit on shallow tapers and since it's DMLS 718 Inconel which is 3D printed, the silencer is perfectly concentric. And like all of our 5.56 silencers it has a 7.62 bore so it helps with backpressure and ear sound and also gives you some margin of error if you have a destabilized bullet out of that short of a barrel.
View Quote
@paco_ramirez Do you know how it compares to the new Thunderbeast can?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@paco_ramirez Do you know how it compares to the new Thunderbeast can?
View Quote
Well the new Thunderbeast can is titanium so...not gonna be the way to go for hard use especially for this guys purpose. It still has the same limitations as most any other titanium silencer as far as heat limitations go. But it's lightweight and really good, Ray showed it to me at SHOT. Beyond that you probably know as much as me. When I can get one I'm gonna get one also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That short of barrel is very abusive to suppressors in terms of pressure, heat input and flame erosion.  You want something with a full inconel or stellite baffle stack.  Surefire, Rugged, Dead Air Sandman, SiCo Chimera or Saker, EA Vox have appropriate materials.  Even then you’ll be peppering the blast baffle.  Designs with longer blast chambers can help durability somewhat.  A longer can will be quieter, but a 7” 5.56 will never be quiet.  You’re better off with a 6” can on a 10” barrel than a 9” can on a 7” barrel with 5.56.  For full auto, heavier is better both for thermal mass, and safety margin as high temps reduce strength.  Full auto bolt velocity benefits from .30 cal or bigger bores and big blast chambers to keep back pressure minimal.   Full auto can melt/soften lead bullet cores and result in jacket/core separation and baffle strikes.  Long term the warranty might be the most important consideration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any help is appreciated!
I have an original Saker 762 (ASR mount change) that I use on my PWS Diablo.  It handles the abuse with no issues.  Blast baffle other than carbon looks pristine.  Sico has pulled the barrel length restrictions on the old Sakers.  It used to be 7.5" minimum but now it's "anything as long as it's stable".  I do use one of the newer single port ASR brakes just to make me feel better/have a sacrificial baffle.  It's still loud with the can but is do-able with plugs.  It'll rattle your skull without a can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I run a sig srd762
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I run a saker 5.56 on my 7.5” upper.  Works great with no erosion I can see.  I’d recommend dead air now though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I run a sig srd762
View Quote
On a full auto 7” 556?
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
@Drunktech, Energetic Armament Vox K is what I would look at with its "C300 maraging steel nickel-cobalt superalloy." For a 7" 5.56 setup, this is the way imo.

Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On a full auto 7" 556?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run a sig srd762
On a full auto 7" 556?
A 7" 556 yeah. It sounds great. And I don't have an mg but if I did yeah I'd use it. It's made of inconel and full auto rated.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Drunktech, Energetic Armament Vox K is what I would look at with its "C300 maraging steel nickel-cobalt superalloy." For a 7" 5.56 setup, this is the way imo.

https://energeticarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Material-comparisons.jpg
View Quote
If you look at Suppressed Nation’s tests, a Vox-K is going to be loud on a 11” 5.56, let alone a 7”.  The Vox-S isn’t that much longer, heavier, or expensive and will be much more versatile.

The other thing to consider is flash.  Suppressors with flash hider front caps will do better on a fire breather like an impractically short 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:21:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow, this is a lot more replies than expected!

Thanks for all the recommendations and info! Off to do some reading.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:25:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Look at the suppressor specs.
My Omega states minimum barrel in 5.56 is 10"
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A 7" 556 yeah. It sounds great. And I don't have an mg but if I did yeah I'd use it. It's made of inconel and full auto rated.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/Screenshot_20200214-174737_Chrome_jpg-1276339.JPG
View Quote
On a side note, anyone else heard that the SRD line was being discontinued?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Disregard
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you look at Suppressed Nation’s tests, a Vox-K is going to be loud on a 11” 5.56, let alone a 7”.  The Vox-S isn’t that much longer, heavier, or expensive and will be much more versatile.

The other thing to consider is flash.  Suppressors with flash hider front caps will do better on a fire breather like an impractically short 5.56.
View Quote
Chalk me up as another vote for the VoxS.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Look at the suppressor specs.
My Omega states minimum barrel in 5.56 is 10"
View Quote
My YHM M2 Phantom says the same.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://energeticarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Material-comparisons.jpg

That's fine if someone prefers going with the Vox-S. That's a good option. But for a 7" I'd want to keep things as light and compact as possible. It's going to be loud regardless. So I guess the answer is get both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top